New and heading to Argyll & Bute (towing) Can we wild camp?

Hi Everyone, We are delighted to have found this forum full of lovely caravaners with a wealth of knowledge for us to tap in to....... We are heading up to Scotland from the lovely Peak District next week, with our 'new to us' gem of a 2 berth (lunar clubman 1988. She's all up and running so we are free to roam... does anybody know of any good wild camping spots we could head for with a small tower? We'd rather not have to check into sites. Also recommendations for any natural/simple sites in this area would be great - we have children and dogs so this may matter. Finally, what are your favourite beaches that are accessible with a caravan? your favourite lochs (the quieter the better) and favourite pubs - the older and quirkier the better x 

Thanks in advance for any snippets you can share with us

The Herseys 

Welcome to the forum.

Wild camping with a caravan is not that easy and it’s not at all common (unlike with a camper van/Motorhome) Think fresh water supply and waste water disposal for starters! 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

As MrP says, where will you get fresh water? Where do you dispose of grey water and then there's the toilet waste. 

Also you need the landowners permission, I assume, so you may have difficulty finding the landowner and getting permission. 

I would stick to sites, myself. 

• I agree completely 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thanks for the pointers... I think we will aim to stop at a site before we set off for a few days wild camping, and end up at another site where we can dispose of waste etc. What other issues will we need to address before setting off..?

I used to wild camp in a campervan all the time & yes it is also possible in a caravan. Done it plenty of times. Nobody gave me advice on how to do it. I figured it out for myself which is really what you will have to do because everybody does it different & plenty of caravanners do not approve of it at all as you might have noticed.

This is probably the best wildcamping advice you will get. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wonder why it is called wild camping. I always thought that referred to people on foot, carrying their equipment, and making do with what was available on the land.

Setting up in a caravan or motorhome does not sound very wild (or tent-like) to me - maybe it should be called off-site caravanning instead?

52 minutes ago, The Hersey Herd said:

Thanks for the pointers... I think we will aim to stop at a site before we set off for a few days wild camping, and end up at another site where we can dispose of waste etc. What other issues will we need to address before setting off..?

Where will you store your waste water in a 2 berth 1988 Lunar Clubman between sites? Unlike a motorhome it has no large on board waste holding tank. Have you thought about power whilst off grid or do you have solar panels to keep the leisure battery charged?

• I agree completely 1

Hi. Sorry to ad more negativity but you’ve got a 2 berth caravan, I assume there are 2 adults, plus children and dogs. You’ll be very cramped unless you have a decent awning. Hope it goes well and you enjoy it. 

lwild camping  and caravanning is allowed in Scotland under the land reform act 2003, in unenclosed places  but not in  a couple of places.  Look it up, I did and read about it 

1 hour ago, 2seaside said:

… … maybe it should be called off-site caravanning instead?

I think it’s known as “off-grid”.

John

14 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Welcome to the forum.

Wild camping with a caravan is not that easy and it’s not at all common (unlike with a camper van/Motorhome) Think fresh water supply and waste water disposal for starters! 

We are hoping to do a few days between sites - for these reasons.

For the few sites you do wish to use I would book well in advance. From other topics on here it seems that sites might be full.

For your water supply you could need possibly 40 litres a day if all of you are  washing but not showering. If you do not have a fresh water supply nearby then that is a lot of water to carry to cover a few days. Obviously the waste volume produced will be the same. The toilet could be full after a day with 4  people.

never seen anyone wild camping in a caravan thats not had bother from the police as you can't use lay-bys unless you have the caravan lights on all night unless your a certain distance off the highway

then you need the landowners permission to sleep on his land

wonder where your going to dump your excriment from the toilet if your wild camping there are no chemical waste points you can use unless on a site

best advice pre book into sites

• I agree completely 2

If you’re thinking of doing the islands then you have to have a campsite to get a cal Mac booking at the moment. They don’t want wild campers and might even move you on. They want to keep a check on people and movement with the corona at the moment. 

• Like 1

From the NC 500 website:- ‘Wild Camping’ under the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 is only allowed when camping by foot, bike or other non-motorised transport.'

• I disagree 1

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

https://wickedwalkabout.com/wild-free-camping-caravanning-in-scotland/#:~:text=Wild Camping and Caravanning is,the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.&text='As part of Scotland's access,camp on most unenclosed land'.

I know that most wild camping  means  pitching up with a tent for the night, my son used to wild camp on Dartmoor but there you had to be careful of the private land belonging to the Army and I should think that the same would apply in Scotland.

While wild camping is possible in Scotland, it is frowned upon by many,  using a caravan rather than a motorhome will make it far more difficult.  You are likely to be moved on  unless you are strictly within the rules. Basically wild camping has now got such a bad reputation you may wonder why you bothered.

One major problem you might have is the toilet. For us the cassette only holds two days output and you will find nowhere to empty it.

The sites have been empty for months and need the income from visitors. Please help rebuild the economy rather than trying to save money.