Caravans appear to be getting very popular.

Message added by CT Advertising,

Tracker logo 200px.pngThe Battery Powered Retrieve has its own power source and does not need to be wired into the vehicle's electrical system. Our VHF technology helps to overcome GPS/GSM signal jamming. Find out more

Just spoken with a mate who called at our local dealer to pick up a few bits. He got chatting to the salesman who said he has never ever known it so busy. They have completely sold out of all their new caravans (Bailey) and are struggling to source any more. Used ones are flying out as well ! 

The dealers storage yard is close to me, I drove past at lunchtime and the place was totally empty!!  It normally has about 20 new vans in it :o

Maybe people are deciding that getting on an aeroplane to go on holiday is a thing of the past? 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've noticed a higher number of newbies coming on to this forum for advice this summer.  I just feel sorry for those that may have bought a lemon. So many times they trusted and believed the sell

Its terrible to hear of the reputation of decent people who have camped responsibly for years being destroyed. It's not just the virus which has certainly spurred it on, as this downward trend in stan

In response to Kiaboy, To quote Donald Sutherland in Kelly’s Hero’s   ”All those negative waves man” 

Chipping Sodbury Caravans sold quite a few over the phone during lock down!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Just now, PR1 said:

Chipping Sodbury Caravans sold quite a few over the phone during lock down!

With the deals they offer on their dealer specials I am not surprised :D

On our holiday a week ago it was noticeable the significant number of tourers, campers and motor homes on the move. Same today on a longish drive for work.

Have no doubt staycations and particularly self contained accommodation on wheels will be sky rocketing.

Towing: 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Tow Car: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

I collected an Elddis Breeze 402 for a friend today, the seller was only a small dealer but told us he’d had several offers of MORE than the asking price after it was marked as being sold!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

I've noticed a higher number of newbies coming on to this forum for advice this summer. 

I just feel sorry for those that may have bought a lemon. So many times they trusted and believed the seller only to be let down. 

I have to thank our members for their support and quick responses to these newbies as this is one of the strengths of this forum. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I am only ten minutes away from a large car auction place and according to those living close there are LOTS of caravans going through with some frantic bidding.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

The down side of the popularity is that A) it will be harder to book a “last minute” pitch anywhere (not that we tend to go when it’s the busiest time anyway), and possibly worse still, B) the garbage that manufacturers have been producing will only get worse as there are too many ready and willing to pay high prices for second rate new caravans, so potentially standards will slip even further.

• Like 1

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus

Posted (edited)

So you are a “Glass half empty” rather than a “Glass half full” man then Nigel??

Edited by Mr Plodd

In the case of sub-standard caravans, yes, with an ongoing battle with a hopeless dealership over our 2019 Coachman. We should get what we pay for - no more, no less. But..........

Edited by nigel207
Additional

So what exactly is the problem you are having? 

We escaped on the evening of the 3rd last month, leaving home around 6.30 p.m. to overnight at Tebay south before heading to Staffordshire for a week from the 4th. The journey to Tebay was quiet and almost all freight apart from ourselves and the odd other caravan or motorhome. The next day was a different story - a constant stream of caravans, campervans, and motorhomes trundling along the M6, certainly northbound anyway. I couldn't see so easily on our side, There must have been some seriously disgruntled car drivers that day. :D

Spinny flitshire said the same today- no stock.  The factories being shut won't help matters either.

To me the more caravanners the better.  If the market grows so does the investment in the industry as a whole.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

So what exactly is the problem you are having? 

Where do I start? For example, the caravan went in for its first annual service and a few warranty bits at the beginning of March. Before I’m reminded of it, I know it’s been a VERY difficult and strange year, and at no time have I put pressure on the dealership. They were aware of the issues (and please bear in mind that the caravan went back to Coachman in August 2019 for a long list - warped doors, two faulty windows, noisy consumer unit fan, bubbling decal, etc., etc., etc.) at the end of January, and Coachman say they sent the parts needed (sunroof blind, washroom door, wallboard tape) at the end of February.

Fast forward to the beginning of June and again, with no pressure intended, I simply asked for an update from the dealer. The reply that I received was, “Coachman aren’t back until July at the earliest.” I then told them that I’d had an email from Coachman (Press release) saying that they were back from 1st June! The tack was then changed to, “we’re waiting for the parts”. The outstanding issues were - peeling wallboard tape, very stiff sunroof blind that was almost impossible to retract, the electric hob cutting out randomly, false and random alarm activation, warped washroom door that wouldn’t slide into its receiver unless pushed, plus other very minor things.

The dealer knew that we needed the caravan back for mid-July. I was duly contacted to be told that “everything has been sorted apart from the sunroof as we’ve had to order a new trim panel”. So, off I go to collect it. At the dealership we couldn’t shock things with them as they weren’t allowed into the caravan for three days after we’d been in, so rather than checking I left. Checking would have been pretty pointless as we needed it back anyway.

When back home, I saw that the front trim panel below the sunroof and above the front windows had been pulled up in the centre, so much so that the blind wouldn’t cover the window. That was perfect when it went in. Also, the trim panel on the roof wasn’t up against the roof any longer on the nearside, leaving a good 5mm gap (more at times). Looking under the front bunk, I found the alarm unit in pieces. The washroom door was exactly the same (even to the point that the wood grain was in exactly the same place) so it clearly hadn’t been changed, and still wouldn’t close properly. On the plus side, the wallboard tape had been replaced or repaired where required.

As I’d been lied to previously (about Coachman being at work or otherwise), I contacted them and asked that I be told the truth as I have a Professorship in Bovine Effluence, and the truth was all that I wanted in the first place. Again, I accept that Times/things have been difficult so do not have unreasonable expectations. I asked them to explain about the front trim panel, and if they hadn’t damaged it, please get it in writing from Coachman that they distort in that fashion. I also asked who the service engineer was from Dometic who had looked at the cooker (as Dometic do their own warranty work on cookers/fridges) and what their findings were? Also, get written confirmation from Coachman that the washroom doors come from exactly the same piece of boarding and that the wood grain never varies, and finally why the alarm unit had been left in pieces? I have photographic evidence for every issue.

The response that I received was, “We’ve ordered a new sunroof trim. We’re sorry that the alarm was left as it was. We’re waiting for a part, but it shouldn’t have been left like that. (I accept that they were apologetic for that, but.....), and we’ve adjusted the washroom door.”

Later that day, I received a call from the local Dometic engineer who knew nothing of the issue before that day, so clearly hadn’t been contacted.

This is the situation as it stands, but I just do not have any faith in them sorting the issues properly, especially the front end as replacing the trim is a major job.

Some of the issues are pretty minor, I accept. However, if my money hadn’t been perfect, I don’t think that they’d have been happy about us driving off with the caravan in the first place.

You did ask!

3 hours ago, BM Bairn said:

On our holiday a week ago it was noticeable the significant number of tourers, campers and motor homes on the move. Same today on a longish drive for work.

Have no doubt staycations and particularly self contained accommodation on wheels will be sky rocketing.

Returned yesterday from 7 nights  at Incleboro Fields Norfolk a Caravan and Motor Home site it was jammed full  every space filled some regulars we spoke to seem to think more pitches had been added,  it just felt overcrowded I hope this  only  due to staycation holidays which  i hope will ease in 2021, beautiful weather lovely area felt very lucky to be there . 

we went out a couple of weeks ago and the site was full, however because the CMC are not allowing visitors at the moment, it didn't feel overly full

We were at a CMC site last week which was pretty full but comfortable. It was obvious there were a good number of newbies on the first or one of the first outings. Now I know the more serious amongst us will say we all had to start somewhere, which is very true. But, the amount of head scratching and minor domestic tiffs we saw and heard had us chortling into our wine. Did I offer to help of course I did when things seemed to reach fever pitch, some declined help, others accepted it but did not listen as did other fellow site stayers. Next door but one was having his first trip out in his new to him MH, he was in the camp of not listening, although I think he listened to our neighbour when we could hear him talking to the rabbits at 04.30, or it might have been flying pigs cant remember now.... Must admit for the rest of his stay he kept himself to himself and kept a low profile and ceased talking to the rabbits and pigs...

Joking aside, it was good to see folk out enjoying themselves as we were, but come on you newbies do a bit of research and if help is offered the best thing to do is listen and learn....

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

We stayed for a week at Upper Hurst Farm in Staffordshire followed by a week at Wallace Lane Farm in North Cumbria. At Wallace Lane we were on the end hs pitch with the campers to our left. We watched a few poor sods wandering about in the rain, clutching an instruction sheet, trying to erect their tent as quickly as possible. That, along with the number of boxes that had held airbeds, inflatable chairs etc. in the recycling skip, suggested a few camping newbies. A lady pitched next to us borrowed our gas spanner; she had bought her campervan, a 40 year old Autosleeper, only a month earlier. Plus there was a very nicely restored 50 year old VW in a lovely coffee colour, complete with drive away awning. Everyone seemed to be having a good time once undercover, despite the weather being wet some days. I was very glad of our van and our own shower, though. 

2 hours ago, hstephen5 said:

Spinny flitshire said the same today- no stock.  The factories being shut won't help matters either.

To me the more caravanners the better.  If the market grows so does the investment in the industry as a whole.

That's what some site owners may be thinking.

More vans and tents, but no increase in the number of pitches,  £££ signs flash up.

Then what happens, like many things in short supply, the prices increase to whatever the market will stand.

• I agree completely 2

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

I was at Oxon Hall in Shrewsbury a week last Sunday.  I got there at about 4:00pm, and there were a lot on, but there were still spaces.  I was in the adults only section.  On the Monday, quite a few left, and it was much better until Thursday, then loads came on, obviously for long weekends.  I don't normally go out July/August, so don't really know what its like.  I only went so that I could do the towing.  Have only towed the training caravan of the CMC, which is so light in weight you hardly know you're towing anything.  But I enjoyed myself nonetheless.  It was my first time on my own, my husband having passed away in August last year.  Should have gone in April, but everything was in lockdown by then

The downside is, booking a pitch has become a lot more difficult, never used to have much of a problem, now every were seems fully booked 

2 minutes ago, Arrand said:

The downside is, booking a pitch has become a lot more difficult, never used to have much of a problem, now every were seems fully booked 

another reason there are not so many pitches is because some sites are not opening this year or they are only opening a part of the site. 

Bearing in mind that with lock down no new caravans were built for three months the supply of them must be limited although looking up one Scottish Dealer they had 25 new and 52 used showing so perhaps the sales may be regional rather than nationwide.

We are currently in France and our Swift Corniche 15/2 is up for sale as purchased a new van. 

We are hoping to sell whilst here but if not will bring back in September and are looking for caravan firms thar purchase without part exchange in the Cambridgeshire, South Lincs, Nottinghamshire, Norfolk area. 

Anyone have any suggestions please or want to buy a good two berth starter van?

Bergamo

Sell it here as, by the sound of it, the UK market is very strong for selling caravans. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion