Cadac Advice Please

Message added by CT Advertising,

Prima logo.png

Check out the range of Cadac BBQs available from Prima Leisure.  

You can't go wrong with this high-end product. 

Well worth checking out! 

1 hour ago, dobbo said:

Hi would this trip 10a or not 

thanks 

dobbo

According to the specification it is rated at 2,180 Watts so it should draw about 9.5 Amps.  This could trip a 10 Amp supply if anything else is on in the caravan, even the battery charger.  However, presumably the grill only uses 2,180 Watts when both parts are heating but you would need to be careful.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have just missed out on a bargain, I put my Cadac Carri Chef2 on eBay on Saturday and sold it on a Buy it Now for £100, buyer collected Monday evening.   We have had it about 10 - 15 yea

We’ve used a Cadac for many years. Only carry the Paella pan and Tapas dishes for eggs. Does everything we want, breakfasts roasts etc. Not a fan of the cremated offerings most people serve up from

Try cooking pancakes on your barbecue - a Cadac does it better!!! I think that a Cadac is a super piece of kit. Alan

Posted Images

On 07/08/2020 at 11:27, dobbo said:

Hi would this trip 10a or not 

thanks 

dobbo

Sorry just come back from a trip, used it every day. Sometimes with an electric kettle, toaster, electric hob plate etc and never had any issues, but I am normally on a 15 or 16 amp supply.

Well everyone sincere thanks to all who contributed their ideas and experiences.  

I'm really not bothered about the electric, what I would describe as grills, and was hoping I could be persuaded to go Cadac because of not only its versatility but also its suitability as a replacement for a traditional gas BBQ.

Reading your advice I'm convinced that I should soldier on with my smelly, fat covered, dirty and smoky gas BBQ.  But.............I'm equally convinced that we should carry our home griddle pan and perhaps a wok.  I suspect all three will still weigh less than a Cadac and provide similar versatility but a better BBQ result. 

Jury back and decision made.

My thanks again. 

Apologies for latching on to this topic, but I've used a Cadac Carri Chef for many years and getting a bit fed up with the size and weight of it, even though we only use the reversible griddle plate.

I'm considering downsizing to the Safari Chef but am a bit uncertain about the griddle plate with holes in - does this tend to burn the meat more, and does the fat running through the holes make much of a mess ?

1 hour ago, Miggs said:

Sorry just come back from a trip, used it every day. Sometimes with an electric kettle, toaster, electric hob plate etc and never had any issues, but I am normally on a 15 or 16 amp supply.

Thanks 😊 have invested in one 

36 minutes ago, onewheelonmywagon said:

Apologies for latching on to this topic, but I've used a Cadac Carri Chef for many years and getting a bit fed up with the size and weight of it, even though we only use the reversible griddle plate.

I'm considering downsizing to the Safari Chef but am a bit uncertain about the griddle plate with holes in - does this tend to burn the meat more, and does the fat running through the holes make much of a mess ?

No the meat doesn’t burn and 2 the cooking plate, being much smaller is much easier to clean in campsite washing up sink (the non stick is excellent) Fat does drip through holes but if you mop it up with a bit of kitchen towel before it sets there is no problem, plus the bit the catches the fat is removable for cleaning in a sink.

We had the Carri Chef and downsized to a Safari Chef, smaller, lighter, much easier to clean. The only downside is that it’s a lot smaller cooking area, but with just the two of us that’s not an issue.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I find it a bit of a mine field when reading reviews of portable electric hobs and induction hobs. Reviewers often claim that the product doesn't simmer, and can only boil, or the thermostat eventually fails etc. 

I quite fancy a twin hob cooker like the one below, but again it has the same negative reviews as all the others..

TW.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Using our Safari Chef plate with the holes in it means fat dripping through and being vapourised/burnt by the hot gasses from the flame - and smoke being produced which you can taste in the cooked food.

Definitely a BBQ'esque experience if not properly authentic! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to butt in ; I’m strongly considering a Cadac safari LP because I want to use the van supply from the outside gas point. I don’t want to use canisters and carry different gas. 
Does anyone have this and what is your opinion? I think I read somewhere that the unit doesn’t fold up properly when the regulator is attached. I had assumed this would also be detachable. 

The LP version doesn't need a regulator if you use a caravan gas point.  There will be a lefthand thread brass gas connector to go on the end of the hose or you could get a handwheel.

Cadac Handwheel

We have the Grillo Chef and it is excellent for what we need. It does break down into a size that we can manage and is not too heavy, but we have two of us with a lot of room in the caravan. What suits you may be very different to us and you need to look at what room you have, what you will cook on it and possibly the weight before deciding. It is not cheap but if it suits you then it is good.

If you fit a quick release connector for the gas hose it doesn’t fold down.  The alternative is to fit the gas hose each time either with the wheel previously mentioned or a standard left handed nut and tighten it up with a spanner each time.

I connected a short bit of Hose to the cadac with a quick release connector to it so its simple to take apart. Short Hose ie 6" is permanently on the cadac. Yes the holes let fat through but a bit of foil in there catches it!

On 10/08/2020 at 17:49, LeadFarmer said:

I find it a bit of a mine field when reading reviews of portable electric hobs and induction hobs. Reviewers often claim that the product doesn't simmer, and can only boil, or the thermostat eventually fails etc. 

I quite fancy a twin hob cooker like the one below, but again it has the same negative reviews as all the others..

TW.jpg

I bought this one a couple of years ago - not used it much but each time I do have never had any problems. Also have the Cadac Cook 2 (quite old now) which is effectively the equivalent on gas.

Cheers

Paul

On 06/08/2020 at 07:53, Squash said:

I've been adamant over many years that my portable, two level grid, gas BBQ is the best bit of equipment we own.  My argument has been that a BBQ must create smoke and since charcoal ones are frequently not permitted a gas version is the next best thing.

If I'm honest I do enjoy a glass or two of red, or a beer, whilst dodging the smoke - it's part of camping!

But my wife has just told me she fancies something that cooks in other ways to my wonderful grimy, smelly, BBQ.   She has seen a Cadac.

I know that many people swear by them and I can see the advantage in terms of different cooking techniques - grill, pan etc etc.  But I'm not convinced that they can give me a smoky and authentic BBQ result. 

Am I wrong?

Can someone please let me know their honest opinions including drawbacks and, if possible, any hints and tips.  It would be good to know the preferred version too.

I gave my party Grill 600 to my window clean and use a disposable £1-50 BBQ for that charcoal taste

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/09/2020 at 18:51, konrose said:

Sorry to butt in ; I’m strongly considering a Cadac safari LP because I want to use the van supply from the outside gas point. I don’t want to use canisters and carry different gas. 
Does anyone have this and what is your opinion? I think I read somewhere that the unit doesn’t fold up properly when the regulator is attached. I had assumed this would also be detachable. 

We have one of these, connects directly onto the gas point on our van so no regulator needed

Great bit of kit, we've used the various cooking surfaces and been happy each time. Normally there's the two of us, so it's ample for our needs, but I've done a BBQ for 4 a couple of times and it's still worked out well.

Easy to clean, and packs away compact  into it's bag, which then fits in the front locker, I'd say it's well worth the money.

I also bought a cheap electric griddle plate from B&M in case the gas runs out half way through cooking, (I only carry one gas bottle)

Bought the low pressure safari chef to run off the gas cylinders but also bought the connector/regulator so we can run it off the disposable cartridges if we want to use it away from the van (picnic etc)

On 06/08/2020 at 10:18, Miggs said:

This is what I use for the two of us - George Foreman Griddle.  A cadac is basically just a griddle, but this is a quarter of the weight, a quarter of the price and uses the sites electricity instead of my gas. Out of the box and cooking in less than a minute. Only thing I can't do is the stir fry/paella stuff but we have a wok in the van for that.

81AMQwKO-2L._AC_UY327_QL65_.jpg

Just bought one of these fantastic piece of kit agree with everything you have said more time for supping lol

Martin

On 06/08/2020 at 15:35, rovinmad said:

I don't remember when it was that SWMBO decided we were having a Cadac and she got the Carri Chef, all the bits,  everything.  I soon realised there was far too much of it to take away and basically I've used it as a large outdoor frying pan / griddle with lid when required.  I never got to grips with the rest of it but I am on my third reversible griddle plate.  They seem to have dropped that unfortunately and I bought a larger pan thing that doesn't fit in quite the same way.

What I really need is a rally where someone shows me what to do with the rest of it.

Also I find I have to surround it with a windbreak or it blows out to readily.

You can obtain the reversible grill plate from     www.Towler-Staines.co.uk

hope this helps.

Martin

On 12/10/2020 at 13:20, guinness said:

You can obtain the reversible grill plate from     www.Towler-Staines.co.uk

hope this helps.

Martin

Many thanks, I'll bear that in mind.   I find them very useful.  As I understood,  Cadac stopped making them.

• 3 weeks later...

After much nagging I finally persuaded my wife we needed a cadac we opted for a carri chef 2 and have not looked back ,easy to connect to the external gas point ,breakfast lunch dinner snacks all cooked with ease I very rarely use the inside cooker 

Try making pancakes on a cadac super easy and very tasty 

IMG-20200714-WA0095.jpg

IMG-20200714-WA0101.jpg

IMG-20200714-WA0098.jpg

• 6 months later...

coming back to an old thread. Can anyone confirm to me what I need to buy to be able to 

1) attach it to the caravan gas point

2) use it with canisters

thanks