Cadac Advice Please

Message added by CT Advertising,

Prima logo.png

Check out the range of Cadac BBQs available from Prima Leisure.  

You can't go wrong with this high-end product. 

Well worth checking out! 

I've been adamant over many years that my portable, two level grid, gas BBQ is the best bit of equipment we own.  My argument has been that a BBQ must create smoke and since charcoal ones are frequently not permitted a gas version is the next best thing.

If I'm honest I do enjoy a glass or two of red, or a beer, whilst dodging the smoke - it's part of camping!

But my wife has just told me she fancies something that cooks in other ways to my wonderful grimy, smelly, BBQ.   She has seen a Cadac.

I know that many people swear by them and I can see the advantage in terms of different cooking techniques - grill, pan etc etc.  But I'm not convinced that they can give me a smoky and authentic BBQ result. 

Am I wrong?

Can someone please let me know their honest opinions including drawbacks and, if possible, any hints and tips.  It would be good to know the preferred version too.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You have just missed out on a bargain, I put my Cadac Carri Chef2 on eBay on Saturday and sold it on a Buy it Now for £100, buyer collected Monday evening.   We have had it about 10 - 15 yea

We’ve used a Cadac for many years. Only carry the Paella pan and Tapas dishes for eggs. Does everything we want, breakfasts roasts etc. Not a fan of the cremated offerings most people serve up from

Try cooking pancakes on your barbecue - a Cadac does it better!!! I think that a Cadac is a super piece of kit. Alan

Posted Images

A Cadac is great but it ain’t a BBQ and you won’t get the same results. I have one and it’s very versatile - the large burner means I can use a proper paella pan (not the Cadac imposter ) for a great paella. To get a real authentic BBQ taste you really need a smoker, something that is on my wish list. Good luck in your quest. 

In my previous caravan life I used a portable gas BBQ with the lava rocks, I was very happy with it, but cleaning afterwards was a chore.

This time I've gone for the Cadac safari, more flexible and  easier to clean but it's basically a griddle. It's very compact though and easy to store.

45 minutes ago, Squash said:

I've been adamant over many years that my portable, two level grid, gas BBQ is the best bit of equipment we own.  My argument has been that a BBQ must create smoke and since charcoal ones are frequently not permitted a gas version is the next best thing.

If I'm honest I do enjoy a glass or two of red, or a beer, whilst dodging the smoke - it's part of camping!

But my wife has just told me she fancies something that cooks in other ways to my wonderful grimy, smelly, BBQ.   She has seen a Cadac.

I know that many people swear by them and I can see the advantage in terms of different cooking techniques - grill, pan etc etc.  But I'm not convinced that they can give me a smoky and authentic BBQ result. 

Am I wrong?

Can someone please let me know their honest opinions including drawbacks and, if possible, any hints and tips.  It would be good to know the preferred version too.

You have just missed out on a bargain, I put my Cadac Carri Chef2 on eBay on Saturday and sold it on a Buy it Now for £100, buyer collected Monday evening.

We have had it about 10 - 15 year or more and it was well used, as previously stated you never get the "real bbq taste" but it wasn't used for that, I just carried a frame and bought disposable ones.

We cooked full English, stir fries, paella, just about anything you could cook inside the caravan we did on the Cadac, so good fro keeping the cooking smells out of the caravan.

Having just been to Chatsworth last week I decided that due to my ever more debilitating arthritis it was getting too much to lug around, hence the selling of it, otherwise I wouldn't have let it go.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

We have a Camping Gaz Party 600 which is exactly the same size and function of the Cadac, but is a lot cheaper.  We love it, and I also use a teflon sheet on the griddle which is far easier to clean as well.

https://pricespy.co.uk/home-garden/barbecues-bbqs/campingaz-party-grill-600--p3444394?msclkid=3409f796934d15e8af08a8bd267cb2b2&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=UK_BI_DSA_EN&utm_term=pricespy co&utm_content=All

you mmight find one cheaper again, but this is the product.  here's a youtube of it and how it all goes together.  Dead easy.

Edited by Talking Flag
Added video.

We have a Cadac Carri Chef which with all the bits weighs 12kg.

Having found that we don't use certain parts we carry a slimmed down version around with us.

Then two parts we have settled on are the Skottle pan for stir fries, beef in black bean sauce being a favourite, and the Griddle plate for bacon, sausages etc. don't bother with eggs so don't need the rimmed plate.

In the past had tried burgers on the open mesh grille but too many flare ups.

Personally not bothered about having the smokey flavour of a charcoal BTW.

Expensive means to an end in our case.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

Try cooking pancakes on your barbecue - a Cadac does it better!!!

I think that a Cadac is a super piece of kit.

Alan

This is what I use for the two of us - George Foreman Griddle.  A cadac is basically just a griddle, but this is a quarter of the weight, a quarter of the price and uses the sites electricity instead of my gas. Out of the box and cooking in less than a minute. Only thing I can't do is the stir fry/paella stuff but we have a wok in the van for that.

81AMQwKO-2L._AC_UY327_QL65_.jpg

We’ve used a Cadac for many years. Only carry the Paella pan and Tapas dishes for eggs. Does everything we want, breakfasts roasts etc.
Not a fan of the cremated offerings most people serve up from a barbeque never seen the attraction of all the smoke and barely edible food. 

Edited by Tuningdrew

All the advice much appreciated - jury still out though so any more thoughts  are welcome.

1 hour ago, Miggs said:

This is what I use for the two of us - George Foreman Griddle.  A cadac is basically just a griddle, but this is a quarter of the weight, a quarter of the price and uses the sites electricity instead of my gas. Out of the box and cooking in less than a minute. Only thing I can't do is the stir fry/paella stuff but we have a wok in the van for that.

like the look of this gives more options 

dobbo

We have a Cadac, a small but powerful single burner and a electric grill plate, if I only had the choice of one it would be the Cadac, fantastic bit of gear. Sorry but I dont get the smoky bit, (each to their own) and find it very annoying when people fire them up and smoke everywhere with the resultant burnt offerings cooked by blokes who would normally avoid a kitchen like the plague, conversely I have been near campers who can do it without smoke everywhere and produce what appears to be very nice food, (normally not a bloke). And Alan is spot on about the pancakes.

Absolutely love ours had it 5weeks and now don't want to cook on anything else. So easy clean too the non stick is amazing.

I take a Cadac carry chef 2 and a Weber Go Anywhere. Best of both worlds, Cadac for anything grilled and the Weber for well anything barbecued with great flavouring. Use a small Weber chimney starter and briquettes so quick and easy.

Just the two of us so we use a Cadac 2 cook2 cooker with hotplates. Quite powerful and very compact, it will cook nearly anything and very quickly and packs into its' own bag to just tuck away. Great piece of kit for a 2 berth caravan.

Been using gas barbecues for many years, just don't understand the attraction of charred smoke covered offerings when it's so easy to cook cleanly and I don't buy that "special flavour" either.

just our own preference

rob

I don't remember when it was that SWMBO decided we were having a Cadac and she got the Carri Chef, all the bits,  everything.  I soon realised there was far too much of it to take away and basically I've used it as a large outdoor frying pan / griddle with lid when required.  I never got to grips with the rest of it but I am on my third reversible griddle plate.  They seem to have dropped that unfortunately and I bought a larger pan thing that doesn't fit in quite the same way.

What I really need is a rally where someone shows me what to do with the rest of it.

Also I find I have to surround it with a windbreak or it blows out to readily.

I had the larger Cadac Carri Chef but found it rather difficult to clean the somewhat large cooking plates in a campsite sink. So we bought the smaller Safari Chef.  Wouldn’t be without it, it’s not a BBQ but a pretty decent substitute, not perfect but pretty useful. Combined with a single Induction hob we can pretty much cook whatever we want outside if the weather is hot. 

The Carri Chef 2 is for sale if anyone’s interested, it has a few extras and is in immaculate condition. P M me if interested.

Andy.

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

2 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I had the larger Cadac Carri Chef but found it rather difficult to clean the somewhat large cooking plates in a campsite sink. So we bought the smaller Safari Chef.  Wouldn’t be without it, it’s not a BBQ but a pretty decent substitute, not perfect but pretty useful. Combined with a single Induction hob we can pretty much cook whatever we want outside if the weather is hot. 

Andy.

Why do you need a single induction hob?

Just now, Dave Capiro owner said:

Why do you need a single induction hob?

Because we like to cook outside if the weather is hot rather than swelter inside. In addition it uses EHU rather than my gas which, when abroad for 8-10 weeks, is a finite resource as Calor isn’t available.

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Nothing whatsoever to do with the Cadac BBQ.....  We bought a double induction hob for the awning.  It is 100% improvement on the oven/2 ring combo we had before.  Instant controls, timer and different temperature settings.  Easy to clean and aesthetically attractive!

image.thumb.png.1f368154fc8ee826c4cf66cbad0d22fe.png

Hi, many years ago we bought a gas bbq as the site we were booked on would not allow charcoal. It was the type with lava rock coals and was huge and a real pain to transport so when funds allowed a Cadac was purchased and has since been replaced with a more modern version,  both bought at Obelink in Holland.

No, it’s not a real bbq but I can live without the hassle of charcoal and smell of smoke  very well, it’s very easy to carry and set up and is also used at home.

We have also considered an induction hob but it’s more to carry and we have not felt it would be a great benefit as it requires a table to sit on so further adding to the hassle of using one.

17 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Because we like to cook outside if the weather is hot rather than swelter inside. In addition it uses EHU rather than my gas which, when abroad for 8-10 weeks, is a finite resource as Calor isn’t available.

Ah, now it's clear. Your post implied you use them together!

Re Allan Guest's post - what he said! Perfectly sums-up our experience of BBQs/Cadacs . The vast majority of our caravanning has been rallying so gas was/is the main energy source.

Jaguar XF-S Sportbrake (2018) towing Coachman VIP575 (2018).

On 06/08/2020 at 10:18, Miggs said:

Hi would this trip 10a or not 

thanks 

dobbo

I don't know but it is unlikely to be so powerful. My guess is under 5 amps. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion