This weekend like the first of many to come has been spent stripping out MOLLY. after 2 trips to the dump with cupboards cushions and wood, loads of wood we got her stripped out to see the full extent of the damp. We removed all of the black walls and the insulation foam that was damp and was still spitting water by using a wood chisel then left it to dry out that was day 1.

20200727_132022.jpg

20200727_210633.jpg

• Like 1

Day 2. After an early morning start we removed the light board, and all the rotten wood and replaced it with 2x1 roof lats we removed all the roof insulation because it was loose and kept falling on us. We worked out that the internal struts were held on by external screws in the rails. We removed the window trims and waste door and refitted them after, we sealed all the new framework to the shell and G-clamped arround the windows to give a good seal. Once all the sealant had gone off we sanded down the walls and cut our neck insulation to size, we then stuck it on to give a flush finish to the new frame work.

A long day any the mrs and me are ***** more to come next weekend 

20200803_105548.jpg

So far

20200803_211118.jpg

• Like 1

Amazing, well done. Are you going to rebuild it as it was or tailor it to your own specifications?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

Amazing, well done. Are you going to rebuild it as it was or tailor it to your own specifications?

Thanks tuningdrew were going to rebuild it to our own spec we need to add more sleeping area, we have some ideas on how we want it and a blank shell that has no damp and is water tight is our first goal 

Just bear in mind that the empty body shell has little strength or stability. It relies on the fitted furniture for rigidity between floor, wall and roof. 
something I’d love to do if a) I had time and b) ability. 
The thought of a couple of Parker Knoll recliners instead of the long settees ......

2 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

Just bear in mind that the empty body shell has little strength or stability. It relies on the fitted furniture for rigidity between floor, wall and roof. 
something I’d love to do if a) I had time and b) ability. 
The thought of a couple of Parker Knoll recliners instead of the long settees ......

I was thinking of reducing the seat size to 4'6 to gain more space for a set of bunks and opposite toilet at the rear

So, you're converting a Hurricane into a Tornado except the door's in a different place.

Edited by Mickyjb

Lives near Cheltenham, drives a Jaguar XF-S Sportbrake (2018) towing a Coachman VIP575 (2018).

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant to see!   I once rebuilt the entire roof of a Piper 1400 with my wife and it turned out perfect.  But it calls for long hours and much patience.   It's often a scary business if you haven't tackled such a thing before.  I remember all the falling black rotted wood of the dismantling phase and especially the day when the whole roof was off.  Both of us were standing inside the van and looking up only to see blue sky, and thinking 'Oh ****' What have we done?!!   I have some old pics of the work somewhere, I should dig them out for a laugh!

As an aside, we owned a Hurricane XL 1000 for many years and I still have a couple of windows from it so if you have any mishaps and need any side windows I have two.  They are free to such a good home. :)      

Edited by Tintaglia

Presumably you stripped the caravan out and were able to see how the furniture was fastened to the wall to aid structual rigidity. It will be necessary to do the same with what you put back. It looks a big job so good luck.

If you need advice, I would ask on here as there should be someone who knows the answer.