Maffffster

Directions - Reading to Harlech

We've managed to get a last minute holiday to north wales

Can anyone recommend the best towing route to /near Harlech (near Portmeirion) in north wales from the Reading ..... already scared lol 

Disco 3 and Bailey Segovia 

Head up the m40, them M6 and m54, pick up the A5  at Shrewsbury, head towards  bets y coed, then after Corwen I’d turn off for Bala and Dolgellau. At Dolgellau I’d then follow the signs for Porthmadog.

• I agree completely 1

Dave’s advice is correct, Maffffster  … …. but the critical part is near the end of your journey.

Harlech and Portmeirion are on opposite sides of the Glaslyn and Dwyryd estuaries (about 15 miles apart if towing!) - so it’s critical you know the exact point you’re aiming for.

I’ve lived and worked in both Porthmadog and Dolgellau, so may be able to advise … what’s the name or postcode of the site?

John

thanks guys - the postcode is LL46 2UG

Mafffster, definitely avoid the route advised by Google Maps - as that takes you over The Berwyn Mountains into Bala!

So follow Dave’s route to Dolgellau, then you’ve got a choice. Either head north on the A470 as far as Maentwrog, and then back down the coast on the A496 to Harlech.  Or, head west to Barmouth on the A496, then north up the coast.

Plenty of caravanners travel this coastal road, so there’s nothing to be afraid of … and don’t worry, you won’t be towing up (or down) the steepest street in the world 😱. (That claim has since been disputed☹️).

John

Edited by Johnaldo

thanks guys this is really helpful information 

25 minutes ago, Maffffster said:

thanks guys this is really helpful information 

Good luck!  Once you get past Shrewsbury and into Wales you'll have some wonderful scenery to admire. If you were driving ' solo' I'd recommend across the M4 to Cardiff then up though Wales but towing might be a stretch in parts.

I reckon your worst part will be the M42 and M6 in Birmingham depending on time of day travelling. If the M6 in Brum is bad for any reason you can always take the M6 toll road then pick up the A5 at the north exit.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

… … If the M6 in Brum is bad for any reason you can always take the M6 toll road then pick up the A5 at the north exit.

Does the CMC still do ‘caravan goes free’ on the toll?

John

19 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Does the CMC still do ‘caravan goes free’ on the toll?

John

No

I agree with your route recommendations.  The problem is at some point you have to join the A496.  If you approach Harlech from the South then you have to go through Barmouth if you come from the North you take the road from Maentwrog.   Each direction is doable because we have.  Neither direction is great.  I have just asked Mrs Fred for her expert opinion and she nominated the route from Maentwrog, my preference would be probably be the Barmouth route.   The beach and Harlech is great btw and worth the tow.  

Edited by fred

Don't forget Wales have different Covid rules in place, than England! Have a great break, my country is wonderful, but as I live here, like anywhere you take it for granted.

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi Outlander GX4 Automatic.