Jump to content
dobo

Bradcot 390 or Kampa 390 Air awning

Recommended Posts

Hi I’m looking for an air awning, and torn between the Kampa air pro 390 awning and the Bradcot 390 air awning, can I ask members for their opinions (pros and cons) on either of these two awnings, which is best value for money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Kampa club air pro and suffer from the dreaded condensation problem, whilst away last week I got talking to a guy who owned a bradcot air awning and he said he didn't have an issue with condensation, apparently the roof on the Kampa is a weather shield material that does not breath as opposed to the Bradcot that does 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We also faced that choice back in February and, based on what I had heard and read about the Kampa and condensation, I went for a Bradcot Modul Air.
We have a Coachman Pastiche so we brought the 390 base unit, the 90 extension and a closure. We have only used the base unit so far - we’re planning to put the full awning up on our next trip away (mid August).

We got a small amount of condensation in the base unit but nothing ‘out of the ordinary’ (remember that you will get condensation in any awning).

The awning was easy to put up (once I’d read the instructions) and I would recommend paying the extra for the Bradcot and giving the Kampa a very wide berth.

Hope this helps.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kampa 390 - can’t say that condensation has ever been a problem but we always leave a small top corner of the ‘non door’ zipped open and folded back (with the built in flyscreen mesh in place) for additional ventilation and we always use the roof liner.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a similar Bradcott setup to GarryandTrish and whilst I can't comment on the Kampa given the comments here from people who do I would go for the Bradcott. We have no qualms with ours, no condensation whilst we were out last month, though that might be due to the weather. Easy to put up. quick to inflate. 

 

All you could want really

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PMW said:

We have a similar Bradcott setup to GarryandTrish and whilst I can't comment on the Kampa given the comments here from people who do I would go for the Bradcott. We have no qualms with ours, no condensation whilst we were out last month, though that might be due to the weather. Easy to put up. quick to inflate. 

 

All you could want really

 

at this moment everything is pointing towards the Bradcot thanks for all the comments

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do decide on the Bradcot and don't mind the previous model try Glossop Awnings, they are still selling the "V1" porches at £799 for the 390, compared with £1099 for the current "V2" which is only a 330.

 

From what I can see the only differences are cosmetic. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After getting rid of our Kampa for all the usual reasons we borrowed a Bradcot. Still didn’t get on with it that well as we realised it’s the huge air beams and the loss of headroom on the curved roof/front we didn’t like. But another problem we had with the Bradcot was that in order to place it between door and front window the adjacent beam fouled the door. 

  • Thanks 1

2020 SsangYong Musso Rebel Auto towing 2016 Swift Conqueror 645.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

After getting rid of our Kampa for all the usual reasons we borrowed a Bradcot. Still didn’t get on with it that well as we realised it’s the huge air beams and the loss of headroom on the curved roof/front we didn’t like. But another problem we had with the Bradcot was that in order to place it between door and front window the adjacent beam fouled the door. 

 

17 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

After getting rid of our Kampa for all the usual reasons we borrowed a Bradcot. Still didn’t get on with it that well as we realised it’s the huge air beams and the loss of headroom on the curved roof/front we didn’t like. But another problem we had with the Bradcot was that in order to place it between door and front window the adjacent beam fouled the door. 

 

 

Thats something i never thought of, I must admit on my unicorn cadiz there's not much room between door and window, thanks for that advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a 2017 Kampa Rally 390 Plus, I am also an active member of the Facebook group “ My Kampa awning leaks”. I have never had a Bradcott awning so can’t comment on them but have had a bad experience with our Kampa and wouldn’t buy another. Ours had porous material so needed waterproofing, it is incredibly heavy and suffers with awful condensation. Later this year it will be swapped for an Isabella Cirrus.

  • I agree completely 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dobo said:

 

 

 

Thats something i never thought of, I must admit on my unicorn cadiz there's not much room between door and window, thanks for that advice.

I think the door opens on the opposite side to our Swift. Our hinges are on the right so the door clouted the second beam. If your hinges are on the left you’ll be ok. 

  • Thanks 1

2020 SsangYong Musso Rebel Auto towing 2016 Swift Conqueror 645.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dobo,

Have a look at Vango, we had a Kampa and got rid for all the normal reasons and the purse would not run to the Bradcot. On our second Vango now and cannot fault it for the price, no condensation to speak off, easy to put up and easy to inflate and for us good value for money.


2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People we know have a Vango, and it's a little bit weird. Not at all like a normal porch awning, it's deeper, more like a seasonal awning depth and it's ridged at 90 degrees from the van meaning there's good headroom in most of it.  Despite the oddness it's a shape which works very well for them, but it was expensive, more than Bradcot money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a 2018 Kampa 390 Grande. No leaks, nice size and plenty of head room. It gets no more condensation than other modern awnings, which is very little and I don't have a roof liner. Regarding condensation, none of the modern fabrics they use now are as good as the old canvas they used to use. Canvas is much more breathable. The vents over and in the doors does help, and of course you'll always get more condensation on grass than on hard standing pitches. Most air awnings are quite heavy due to the air beams but the Kampa awning pulley makes loading it in the awning rail a doddle. I've only had poled awnings to compare it to, but find it much less hard work to erect personally.  Pegging out is still an unpleasant job for me.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, johntog said:

We have a 2018 Kampa 390 Grande. No leaks, nice size and plenty of head room. It gets no more condensation than other modern awnings, which is very little and I don't have a roof liner. Regarding condensation, none of the modern fabrics they use now are as good as the old canvas they used to use. Canvas is much more breathable. The vents over and in the doors does help, and of course you'll always get more condensation on grass than on hard standing pitches. Most air awnings are quite heavy due to the air beams but the Kampa awning pulley makes loading it in the awning rail a doddle. I've only had poled awnings to compare it to, but find it much less hard work to erect personally.  Pegging out is still an unpleasant job for me.

John

Agree with everything you say.  We have the same awning - this being our third Kampa and I can't fault it.  We did have a problem with our first in that there was a leak somewhere - a quick phone call to the Kampa Sales Manager resulted in a new awning being sent to our campsite by courier within 12 hours of making the call.  Outstanding customer service from Kampa!

For me, the single inflation point is a big bonus and ours is inflated in 3 minutes using an electric pump.

Condensation will be a problem with any modern awning made of impermeable fabric and it's a question of learning to manage it by ensuring good ventilation. We also have a Sunncamp Air 390 - a lightweight awning we use in winter and that being more of a 'nylon' material is far worse for condensation than ever the Kampa has been - but again, learning to manage it, is key.


VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We like the single inflation point on ours, however it is a double edged sword. A single inflation point means all beams are connected and if one develops a leak then the while structure collapses. If the beams are independent then the awning will remain inflated and if not usable then it will give you the chance to remove the contents before taking it down. 

 

The Bradcot website sells clearance items which are returns, usually because of a bladder leak which have been replaced and offered at a reduced price which demonstrates two things. Much as I like my Bradcot and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it they do occasionally produce a bad one, but they obviously get these issues sorted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our Kampa has a single inflation point but also has valves on each beam to enable them to be isolated after inflation if required. Are you saying Bradcot awnings don't have similar valves? :blink:

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...