Cadej88

Rear mounted bike rack

Hi all sorry to post again... I am thinking of taking advantage of the pre fitted Thule bike mounts on the back of my van... however I was wondering is it ok to put so much weight on the back of the van? Has any one had any issues... would be two adult bikes weighing about 30kg? 
Thanks in advance 😊

Silly answer buy yes and no.  

If you search threads here or maybe other forums there are countless references to your question.

For what it's worth we have an Eccles 480 upgraded to 1500 kg.  90 kg nose weight and two bikes on the back has never been a problem.  It's possible to remove the bike channel that is furthest to the rear and pop it back in the middle of the 3 positions (assuming you get the standard 3 bike variety)  This brings the weight forward a bit and helps. 

As always sensible loading and accept that you will be reducing the margin of safety by carrying the bikes. Your risk assessment of course.  Mine tells me it's a risk I am prepared to take and not regretted that for a moment. 

fwiw ...

The bikes mid way up on the back end will reduce the stability (30kgs plus the extra weight of carrier cover & straps). All your weights will then need checking carefully and the weight upgrade option will assist.  Loading allowance for your bike rack fitted onto the Van ?

With a decent heavier tow car well on top of the weight ratio issue, ATC & sensible towing speeds etc I would be comfy to drive the outfit. 

M

5 minutes ago, montesa said:

fwiw ...

The bikes mid way up on the back end will reduce the stability (30kgs plus the extra weight of carrier cover & straps). All your weights will then need checking carefully and the weight upgrade option will assist.  Loading allowance for your bike rack fitted onto the Van ?

With a decent heavier tow car well on top of the weight ratio issue, ATC & sensible towing speeds etc I would be comfy to drive the outfit. 

M

Ok thank you for that... I don’t know how to work all weights out etc, but I’ll have a go

27 minutes ago, Squash said:

Silly answer buy yes and no.  

If you search threads here or maybe other forums there are countless references to your question.

For what it's worth we have an Eccles 480 upgraded to 1500 kg.  90 kg nose weight and two bikes on the back has never been a problem.  It's possible to remove the bike channel that is furthest to the rear and pop it back in the middle of the 3 positions (assuming you get the standard 3 bike variety)  This brings the weight forward a bit and helps. 

As always sensible loading and accept that you will be reducing the margin of safety by carrying the bikes. Your risk assessment of course.  Mine tells me it's a risk I am prepared to take and not regretted that for a moment. 

My van is of similar weight to yours when loaded, I had seen a few posts on forums with good and bad reviews I guess I was hoping someone with a similar tow car (weight, power wise) and similar caravan would comment on here and help me out.

I have one on the back of my Sprite Major.

With two full size bikes on, the correct nose weight is a little tricky to achieve.

When correctly loaded stability is fine, but the van does seem be a little more sensitive to crosswinds and traffic buffeting, nothing drastic but I can feel it a little more. 

• Thanks 1

fwiw ...

Cade - 

I did a lot of research about a rear mounted bike rack option, after fit & factory fit.

A point raised was that the manufacturer will have a maximum acceptable weight loading for the mounting points for the specified rack on the rear end (to include everything you fit & load on).

Do check this with your builder, in writing, to avoid un-pleasantness with any Warranty claim later.

Once sorted you will enjoy having the bikes on site !

NB Most UK built vans struggle to manage with (our short 'A frame') bike carriers, continentals will.

M

1 hour ago, montesa said:

fwiw ...

Cade - 

I did a lot of research about a rear mounted bike rack option, after fit & factory fit.

A point raised was that the manufacturer will have a maximum acceptable weight loading for the mounting points for the specified rack on the rear end (to include everything you fit & load on).

Do check this with your builder, in writing, to avoid un-pleasantness with any Warranty claim later.

Once sorted you will enjoy having the bikes on site !

NB Most UK built vans struggle to manage with (our short 'A frame') bike carriers, continentals will.

M

Really helpful post thank you, I had measured the spacing and it’s roughly 86cm so knew it would need to be standard size one...  is there any equation to work out the 85% rule out or wouldn’t that matter?

There is no such thing as an "85%" rule, it is guidance for novices only (plenty of other threads on this contentious point).

As long as you stick to the plated weight limits a bike rack makes no difference at all to the weight ratios.

• Thanks 1

Have the Thule bike rack on the back of challenger 480 and no problems whatsoever. Pack the van carefully and you should be fine. 

• Thanks 1

Our last 2 Swifts have had the bike rack fitted and towed with bikes into southern Germany and Southern France. No problems but we don’t drive at maximum speed and drive within my ability. Use to carry bikes on a roof rack but the bikes where well above the caravan.

3453AF52-1713-4A9F-85FF-07BF33A25590.jpeg

4D202570-9ECF-4619-A252-DB307D0BEDF5.jpeg

2 hours ago, Insuranceman said:

Our last 2 Swifts have had the bike rack fitted and towed with bikes into southern Germany and Southern France. No problems but we don’t drive at maximum speed and drive within my ability. Use to carry bikes on a roof rack but the bikes where well above the caravan.

3453AF52-1713-4A9F-85FF-07BF33A25590.jpeg

4D202570-9ECF-4619-A252-DB307D0BEDF5.jpeg

See I was now swaying more to roof rack 2 reasons.

1) My caravan is in storage so would have to buy an alternative rack to transport to storage, then move about when at storage.

2) extra weight on the car is better than on the caravan.

So was thinking roof rack as I currently have a swan neck tow bar... so couldn’t get on for use on Towbar as well as hitching the van... 

Is it a massive detriment if the bikes are higher than the caravan?

We have travelled with a family that had there bikes on a roof rack and where directed to a level on a cross channel ferry that had a section that was ok for caravans but just. When we entered the section his bikes hit the roof, destroyed his roof rack, roof rails and 3 bikes. We where following so stopped as he entered. 

fwiw ...

These Bike racks hand clamp onto the ball of a swan neck tow bar for the trip to storage & other times (I have &  use one) . The issue I found with the roof rack idea (with the bike stood upright) was also getting it up there at height and then securing it in place - not easy.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/thule-970-xpress-2-bike-towball-carrier?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360303256&kpid=5360303256&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|sCX38cP6d_dc|mcrid|295292024608|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360303256uk|mslid||&mkwid=sCX38cP6d_dc&pcrid=295292024608&prd=5360303256uk&pgrid=60972124962&ptaid=pla-547658789721&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5sjQhoz_6gIVwbHtCh1ybgjzEAQYAiABEgKowPD_BwE

Enjoy the research !

M

17 minutes ago, montesa said:

fwiw ...

These Bike racks hand clamp onto the ball of a swan neck tow bar for the trip to storage & other times (I have &  use one) . The issue I found with the roof rack idea (with the bike stood upright) was also getting it up there at height and then securing it in place - not easy.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/thule-970-xpress-2-bike-towball-carrier?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360303256&kpid=5360303256&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mckv|sCX38cP6d_dc|mcrid|295292024608|mkw||mmt||mrd|5360303256uk|mslid||&mkwid=sCX38cP6d_dc&pcrid=295292024608&prd=5360303256uk&pgrid=60972124962&ptaid=pla-547658789721&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5sjQhoz_6gIVwbHtCh1ybgjzEAQYAiABEgKowPD_BwE

Enjoy the research !

M

No good if you have a caravan on the towball then, which having read the original post, the OP want to transport the bikes whilst towing the caravan!

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

26 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

No good if you have a caravan on the towball then, which having read the original post, the OP want to transport the bikes whilst towing the caravan!

I think what he was saying was to get the bikes to storage n then transfer over and remover the tow ball bike carrier n fold it up?

48 minutes ago, Insuranceman said:

We have travelled with a family that had there bikes on a roof rack and where directed to a level on a cross channel ferry that had a section that was ok for caravans but just. When we entered the section his bikes hit the roof, destroyed his roof rack, roof rails and 3 bikes. We where following so stopped as he entered. 

Ahh food for thought, although don’t think I’ll be much ferry travel as of yet

35 minutes ago, Cadej88 said:

I think what he was saying was to get the bikes to storage n then transfer over and remover the tow ball bike carrier n fold it up?

I appreciate that, but that's not what you were wanting advice on, so questioned its relevance!

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

I use one of these while towing , only takes 2 bikes

mike

E09643F6-D11F-499F-9895-3E36BBC3361A.jpeg

KIA SORENTO KX3 2012 Bailey Pageant Limousin SERIES 7 1700 kg

volvo xc70 D5 se

18 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

fwiw ....

The 'relevance' of my Thule unit suggestion (with "for the trip to storage" stated) I feel is fully explained as a reply to the OP secondary comments & queries for ideas to assist such as ....

19 hours ago, Cadej88 said:

would have to buy an alternative rack to transport to storage

I do own a Thule unit (stated in post) so realise you cannot hitch up a Caravan at the same time.

• I do not understand 1

2 hours ago, outnumbered said:

I use one of these while towing , only takes 2 bikes

mike

E09643F6-D11F-499F-9895-3E36BBC3361A.jpeg

Wow that has the bikes laid down thanks for the info 👍🏻 Looks easy to get the bikes on that and keeps them low

Personally, I wouldn’t want an extra 30 odd kg on the back of my caravan, not least because it’d eat unacceptably into my payload. Nor for its effect on stability and noseweight. Trying to squeeze them between car and caravan looks like damage waiting to happen, and you’d have to consider towball/noseweight/axle loading.

Roof mounted is my preference, it doesn’t affect towing at all, and I can carry my bike independently of the caravan. If you look at what other people are using Thule 591 carriers are very popular, and with good reason. Not the cheapest, but they are very, very good. 2 bikes on carriers shouldn’t exceed any roof load limits. 

• Like 1

We just put our bikes inside the caravan while we’re travelling.  

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

The simple answer is that there is no simple answer!

Every option has its benefits and drawbacks and these affect different people/outfits in different ways.

Personally, of all the options I go for two bikes on the back of the caravan and the third (a full size folding ATB) in the car boot.

6 minutes ago, Stevan said:

The simple answer is that there is no simple answer!

Every option has its benefits and drawbacks and these affect different people/outfits in different ways.

Personally, of all the options I go for two bikes on the back of the caravan and the third (a full size folding ATB) in the car boot.

Yes I was starting to see that I only have two full size adults and an 18 inch child’s bike to take, I think I’ll go for the back mounted and a tow bar carrier to get to storage and switch em round when then...

1 hour ago, Fireman Iain said:

Personally, I wouldn’t want an extra 30 odd kg on the back of my caravan.......

Ditto.

No way I would be hanging our bikes off the rear of our caravan even though it has the Thule mounts factory fitted, but I do have an alternative option fortunately.

20200804_120459.thumb.jpg.1ff86d07b6f8d31484c5023b4cc25410.jpg

• I agree completely 1

Stay safe, Griff. :ph34r:

51 minutes ago, Griff said:

Ditto.

No way I would be hanging our bikes off the rear of our caravan even though it has the Thule mounts factory fitted, but I do have an alternative option fortunately.

20200804_120459.thumb.jpg.1ff86d07b6f8d31484c5023b4cc25410.jpg

Looks like a very good solution.