LeadFarmer

Flag poles & kite poles?

Posted (edited)

What makes people want to put these things up next to their vans?

i can understand wanting to mark your van if you have young kids so they can find their way back to the van, but other than that I’m struggling?  

Ive just watched a grown man put up this kite pole with a plastic seagul and a wizards hat now flapping around noisily in the wind. 

D270C33D-DAB9-4BCB-83AB-72A0C8AD5CD2.jpeg

Edited by LeadFarmer
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 2

Land Rover Defender 110 300tdi & 2019 Swift Aventura M4SB

Why do so many people enjoy so many things? Its not as strange as paying large sums of money to watch 22 men kick a ball around a field!

I could go on....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • I do not understand 1
  • Sad 1
  • I disagree 4
  • I agree completely 3

People like gadgets and accessories!  We had one when our daughter was younger so she knew where our caravan was but we don't use it now.  

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

what is the origin of caravan flags, was it to show the country they came from?  I'm not talking of the plastic seagull, I can understand marking the van if you have kids.  Are there any rules concerning height and does the flag have to come  at dusk. 

19 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Why do so many people enjoy so many things? Its not as strange as paying large sums of money to watch 22 men kick a ball around a field!

I could go on....

Ah, that's good to know. I can now fly my flag knowing its not as strange as watching footy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I complained one morning to a bloke four pitches away about the noise his massive pink flamingo on top of a pole made overnight. He said he never heard it … but he must have, because I’m very deaf and it kept waking me up.  I spoke to my close neighbours who both said it had annoyed them … but they “didn’t want to say anything”.

I was quite happy for him to leave it up during the day as we were off-site, and assumed he’d take it down the next night, but he didn’t.  So the next morning I collared the warden as he came by, and when we returned from our day out the pole had gone and never made a re-appearance - result.

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

massive pink flamingo on top of a pole made overnight. He said he never heard it … but he must have, because I’m very deaf and it kept waking me up.  I spoke to my close neighbours who both said it had annoyed them … but they “didn’t want to say anything”.

I was quite happy for him to leave it up during the day as we were off-site, and assumed he’d take it down the next night, but he didn’t.  So the next morning I collared the warden as he came by, and when we returned from our day out the pole had gone and never made a re-appearance - result.

John

Good result for you John. I sleep outside in the awning and the flappy seagull will no doubt sound louder at night with no other background noises to drown it out. 

Whilst I’m at it, i’m going to tarnish fairy lights around awnings with the same brush. It’s another thing that I don’t understand!! Why do folk surround their lovely caravans with such cheap tat??

Edited by LeadFarmer
  • Like 1
  • I disagree 3
  • I agree completely 3

1 hour ago, Johnaldo said:

I complained one morning to a bloke four pitches away about the noise his massive pink flamingo on top of a pole made overnight. He said he never heard it … but he must have, because I’m very deaf and it kept waking me up.  I spoke to my close neighbours who both said it had annoyed them … but they “didn’t want to say anything”.

John

Quiet word -  followed by the Flamingo Escaping in the dead of night:ph34r:

• Haha 1

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

We had this in Spain once. The damn pole was on the edge of the neighbours pitch and the kite was directly above us all night. I told the guy the next morning but at bed timeI could hear it was still there so I took it down and laid it on the floor. I never saw it again as it had gone when I got up. Whether he picked it up or someone else did I will never know,  (your honour). :ph34r:

Ern

Can't see the point of them but each to their own.

Like others I find football totally pointless!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 4

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

Personally I'd be more concerned about the helicopter that will land using the hat and bird as windsocks. 🚁

• Haha 2

I’ve never felt the urge to hang fairy lights up or to erect tall poles flying flags etc.  If I can’t hear the flags or see the lights, they don’t trouble me.  I like watching cricket,  football, rugby etc and I don’t see why this should bother anyone else.  Unless these things disturb the peace,  I’m not bothered.   Live and let live unless you are actually disturbed by these actions.

John.

• I agree completely 2

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Must confess to putting a few lights around the awning when we’re away over Christmas and new year. If you must put these flags and strobing lights up it’s a free world so do as you wish but please take them down/turn them off at night. 

2020 SsangYong Musso Rebel Auto towing 2016 Swift Conqueror 645.  

Next van to me used to take his flag down at nighttime and changed them also had ducks in his fire bucket a stick to keep his roof light open and a large-stick to keep his front window  open  and  a scooter 🛴 outside 

it was a very old van  but he made caravanning look fun 

16 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Whilst I’m at it, i’m going to tarnish fairy lights around awnings with the same brush. It’s another thing that I don’t understand!! Why do folk surround their lovely caravans with such cheap tat??

With the affects of Covid filming of TV comedy shows has been greatly affected, so your audition for the role of Victor Meldrew may be in vain.

• Haha 2
  • I agree completely 1

Funnily enough I had a similar thought to Leadfarmer's. We've just got back from nearly 3 weeks away in Dorset and Devon and seen windsocks, skull and crossbones, saltires, Cornish flags, various birds and other assorted items flown from poles. One even had LED lights spiralling up it although it was turned off late at night. If people want to do it that's fine by me but I just wonder why. Finding your friends at Glastonbury may be simplified but surely no one gets lost on a camp/caravan site. Have children today lost all sense of direction so they need a flag flying to get home safely! 

17 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

People like gadgets and accessories!  We had one when our daughter was younger so she knew where our caravan was but we don't use it now.  

That's interesting way to get kids to leave home..     :-)

• Haha 2

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

We stayed at a C&CC site at Hereford,  a pitched up and spent hours putting lights on his awning and those poles. It looked like Blackpool! No, it wasn't Christmas!

His van was also covered in butterfly and flower stickers! We had to laugh.

He was only there for the weekend too!

I think it goes like this.

It's my caravan, my pitch for the duration of my stay and I'll do whatever I want ref. flagpoles, lights and garden gnomes if it is within the site rules, if it bothers anyone they only have to mention it to me😂

Life in general and holidays in particular are far too short to keep etching away at your limited time by mithering and worriting  daily about such inconsequential minutiae such as this..............for goodness sake.🙄

Whatever next, someone moaning that Mr X from pitch 3 never leaves the communal tap handle pointing at  a quarter to nine. 🤷‍♂️

Sadly like Allan says, there are many Victor Meldrew's about who need to lighten up.😉

• Like 1
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 5

I'd still like to know where all this originated from.  

It started I think with motorhomes I think, at least that's when I started to notice them.

PS

I'm preparing for off and you have just reminded me to get my pole and flag/windsock ready.   :-)

• Haha 2

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

3 hours ago, Silversurf said:

Life in general and holidays in particular are far too short to keep etching away at your limited time by mithering and worriting  daily about such inconsequential minutiae such as this..............for goodness sake.🙄

If life and holidays are too short, then why spend that time attaching a plastic seagul to a pole? 

Maybe I’m a bit too young to understand it, as it seems to be the older generation that like to trim up their caravans with tatty junk. Maybe in another 20 years when I’m in my 60’s I’ll perhaps understand it. But for now, I certainly don’t.  Life seems too short to me to be doing such a stupid thing. 

5 minutes ago, LeadFarmer said:

If life and holidays are too short, then why spend that time attaching a plastic seagul to a pole? 

Maybe I’m a bit too young to understand it, as it seems to be the older generation that like to trim up their caravans with tatty junk. Maybe in another 20 years when I’m in my 60’s I’ll perhaps understand it. But for now, I certainly don’t.  Life seems too short to me to be doing such a stupid thing. 

Don't ask me, ask the bloke with the pole, then you will know 🤷‍♂️

Let us know what he says.

Old and young alike do it, it isn't down to one generation.

And life's too short for you to be concerned about what other folk do with their property. 🙄🤣😂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We are in our 60s , early retirees but now receive OAP so officially old?:)? We don't trim our van with tatty junk! Thankyou!

If folk want to thats fine by me!

One of my ex work colleagues used to ask why we had a convertible " mid life crisis" car.

My answer was " 2 good incomes, no kids and I can!"

Still have one !

Edited by 664DaveS
  • Like 2

I have a pole with a scarecrow, I mentioned it to one our friends on site, a couple of days later there was a scarecrow hanging from my mobility scooter and the pole on the seat.

I take it down if it is too windy it could fall over and damage a caravan.

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT