Stupid question about towing weights (I can't remember)

Hi all, I have been offered a 2003 award transtar, which I believe is made by abi, and the figures are, MRO:1184kg,  MPTLM: 1423kg, and I can't for the life of me remember which one is the figure I need to use to calculate whether my car can legally tow it or not, to me the MRO makes the most logical sense, as there's nothing to say I need to have a 250 odd kg payload, my car's max braked towing weight is 1310, so it'll either be close or impossible.

Many thanks in advance :)

MPTLM is the one you need to use...towcar or similar can be used to obtain whether your car and this caravan match.

Personal opinion (but plenty of self acclaimed experts here) i would say your tow cars maxed braked towing weight already gives you the answer.

MTPLM is the figure for license issues and the controversial 85 or 100% guidance.

Actual Laden Weight of car and caravan are the ones that matter as far as Gross Train Weight is concerned.

Posted (edited)

Oh yes of course, that's 1310kg, I just couldn't remember if it's the MRO or the MTPLM that I need to use, as I was under the impression that if my car's max braked towing figure was less than what I now know is the MTPLM then I can't legally tow it, although I do have a B+E license so that wouldn't be an issue, looks like this van's a no go then, Ahh well, there's another one I'm going to see that has a MTPLM of just under a tonne as it's a lot shorter, a 91 elddis tornado XL, that'll be much more suitable.

Edited by clarkey1984

You can tow it legally just keep you GTW within the cars limits and as you got your B+E that is the actual weight of the car and the caravan not the plated weights.

100kg is going to make no difference if its loaded in the car or the caravan. 

Edited by tom_1989
  • Like 1

In short you would not be able to make full use of the caravan's MTPLM without exceeding the car's maximum towing weight. I would also always question whether a quoted MIRO actually applies to the caravan in question because one cannot rely on the fact that the figure was established by actually weighing it. If you are unlucky, differences could substantially reduce the expected available payload.

Actually, despite being told it's a 2003, my boss has sent me some photos of it, and to me this is of a similar vintage to my current 1990 abbey looking at it, so this may well be academic, as from what information I can find this would appear to be lighter than the abbey anyway.

IMG-20200729-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20200729-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20200729-WA0000.jpg

I would guess mid-90's but a Google search might give an idea.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

There's the same model on eBay but it doesn't list the year.  I'm sure it can be de-coded from the chassis number if it can be found.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Abi-Award-Transtar-2-berth-with-no-reserve-motor-mover-and-awning/164307736101?hash=item2641811625:g:JHwAAOSwx39fHZ7C

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

The rating plate with VIN number will likely determine the actual age, if important.  https://www.lifesure.co.uk/articles/caravan-vins-cracking-the-code

I'm of the firm belief that most caravans are loaded close to their MTPLM in actual use.  Often overloaded judging by what emerges from a number of them on site.  So do be very wary of loading and plated weights.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.