Hi, i am buying an Elddis xplore 495 2011 caravan, this is my first and I was wondering if anyone to help with that Security I need for the caravan? Best hitch lock and wheel clamp etc... thanks in advance.20200729_133534.thumb.jpg.06c9cfb0505467c6dc36010c259c97c0.jpg

20200729_133450.jpg

Posted (edited)

Speak with your insurers and see what they want you to fit to comply with their policy conditions. 

There are a number of industry approved security devices consisting of various hitch and wheel locks. I have Alko versions of both. The wheel lock IS a bit if a faff to fit as it goes through the wheel into a receiver (you have a motor mover and they make it a lot easier) But they are very good.

There are other wheel locks (Wraith and Nemesis to name just two) that are easier to fit but are still  “approved” by most insurance companies. 

Andy

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

47 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Speak with your insurers and see what they want you to fit to comply with their policy conditions. 

There are a number of industry approved security devices consisting of various hitch and wheel locks. I have Alko versions of both. The wheel lock IS a bit if a faff to fit as it goes through the wheel into a receiver (you have a motor mover and they make it a lot easier) But they are very good.

There are other wheel locks (Wraith and Nemesis to name just two) that are easier to fit but are still  “approved” by most insurance companies. 

Andy

Thanks Andy, really appreciate the advice, I will speak with them tomorrow and get some information about what they need to know, etc.

Check if it has the receiver for the Alko hitch lock, as some vans dont, and the xplore is the basic model range.

Bulldog are good hitch locks, sold secure, I've had one for nearly 20 years.

2011 Elddis would be on a BPW chassis, mine is, and will not have Alko receivers in place. We use one of these   https://www.towsure.com/stronghold-sh5414-winterhoff-ws3000-caravan-hitchlock?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy7zhzrL06gIVyu7tCh3wjQI4EAYYBCABEgIcg_D_BwE   and one of these     https://www.towsure.com/stronghold-sh5436-alloy-wheel-clamp   Other prices and suppliers are available!  Both are very easy to fit.      Hope this helps.  :)

Edited by Flat_at
Doh, again

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.