Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My large cupboards are great for storage but really dark so I decided to add a few lights to help me out.

 

The led strips used came from amazon and the switches from ebay.  Not sure if I'm allowed to add links but I'm sure admin will let me know. 

 

The power pickup came directly off the 12v lighting circuit using crimped splice connectors which isn't everyone's cup of tea but for ease of installation you can't beat them imo if secured correctly.  The only soldering was the wire onto the led strips.  Loose wire was secured using 3m backed clips.  The leds where placed on the inside facing inwards so you can't see any wiring and your no hit with a bliding light when you open the door.

 

Total cost of job was around £20 and it took 30mins for each cupboard.

 

More pics to follow once I figure out how to do it 😁

20200729_141651.jpg

20200729_125154.jpg

20200729_125607.jpg

20200729_125433.jpg

20200729_144346.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Looks like a really good mod … and yes, you are definitely allowed to add links to items you’ve purchased - in fact I’d like to see which LED strips you got as there’s hundreds available and it’s very difficult to choose.

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done exactly the same for my under bed cave :)

 

Pretty much any LED will do the job. They are never on for more than a couple of minutes so are unlikely to fail for many years! I bought a 5m strip off eBay a good few years ago, they can be cut every 3 LED’s so are easy to cut to size. 

 

Another option  are the “push on push off” battery powered strip lights that are self adhesive (rectangular ones not the weedy round ones) About a fiver from Home Bargains. You just have to remember to turn them off again! 

 

.


Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

Looks like a really good mod … and yes, you are definitely allowed to add links to items you’ve purchased - in fact I’d like to see which LED strips you got as there’s hundreds available and it’s very difficult to choose.

John

Thanks john.

 

Lights came from amazon.  Once my wire was solded on I just put on some shrink tube to cover the terminals.

 

Switches from ebay are stated as being 240v 2a.  The lights draw approx 0.3amp per meter using a 12v supply so good enough imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I have done exactly the same for my under bed cave :)

 

Pretty much any LED will do the job. They are never on for more than a couple of minutes so are unlikely to fail for many years! I bought a 5m strip off eBay a good few years ago, they can be cut every 3 LED’s so are easy to cut to size. 

 

Another option  are the “push on push off” battery powered strip lights that are self adhesive (rectangular ones not the weedy round ones) About a fiver from Home Bargains. You just have to remember to turn them off again! 

 

.

It makes me wonder why the caravans don't come with more storage lights.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hstephen5 said:

Thanks john.

 

Lights came from amazon.  Once my wire was solded on I just put on some shrink tube to cover the terminals.

 

Switches from ebay are stated as being 240v 2a.  The lights draw approx 0.3amp per meter using a 12v supply so good enough imo.


:Thankyou:

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hstephen5 said:

It makes me wonder why the caravans don't come with more storage lights.

 

 

 

Simple answer is cost!  Manufacturers will work very hard to save pence per caravan but over a year that adds up to a lot of money

 

I had a pal who worked for Ford many years ago. They were always looking to shave costs wherever than could. One chap worked out that if they reduced the length of every bolt and machine screw they purchased by something like just 3mm, over a year they would save many thousands of pounds. His reward was a chunk of cash AND a brand new top of the range Granada. 

 

I actually rather enjoy “fiddling” with my caravan to make small improvements. I have done the under bed light, a couple in each wardrobe, a fridge fan, additional USB charger points, an additional EHU inlet that’s away from the ludicrous factory fitted one that’s right by the habitation door and represents quite a trip hazard! The next task is to fit a couple of speakers in the bedroom so we can listen to the radio in bed without having the volume for the front speakers  so loud half the site can share my choice of music. It’s looking like I will have to run the wires under the floor as I  think the trim that covers the wall to ceiling joint runs behind the high level cupboards so cannot be removed to feed the wires through . Pity Bailey didn’t just put the wiring in even if they didn’t fit additional speakers. 

 

.


Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

 

Simple answer is cost!  Manufacturers will work very hard to save pence per caravan but over a year that adds up to a lot of money

 

I had a pal who worked for Ford many years ago. They were always looking to shave costs wherever than could. One chap worked out that if they reduced the length of every bolt and machine screw they purchased by something like just 3mm, over a year they would save many thousands of pounds. His reward was a chunk of cash AND a brand new top of the range Granada. 

 

I actually rather enjoy “fiddling” with my caravan to make small improvements. I have done the under bed light, a couple in each wardrobe, a fridge fan, additional USB charger points, an additional EHU inlet that’s away from the ludicrous factory fitted one that’s right by the habitation door and represents quite a trip hazard! The next task is to fit a couple of speakers in the bedroom so we can listen to the radio in bed without having the volume for the front speakers  so loud half the site can share my choice of music. It’s looking like I will have to run the wires under the floor as I  think the trim that covers the wall to ceiling joint runs behind the high level cupboards so cannot be removed to feed the wires through . Pity Bailey didn’t just put the wiring in even if they didn’t fit additional speakers. 

 

.

I like a good fiddle myself.  I find a few mods can make a big difference for very little money.

 

I wouldn't mind seeing your speaker mod once it's done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know a lot of people feel the need to add something , but IMO wouldn't a torch do the job just as well?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or those led lights that stick to the sides of the cupboard that you touch to go on and off. We had them in our Lunar and worked ok. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, joanie said:

I know a lot of people feel the need to add something , but IMO wouldn't a torch do the job just as well?

Couldnt resist responding to your comment as didnt scan the question properly-when you said torch i thought it was a thread to set fire to a caravan.....apologises ;-(...I'll be leaving now ;-)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done a similar setup in our wardrobe and in the storage area under my fixed bed. No need to look for the torch and leaves both hands free.

 

Dave

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, joanie said:

I know a lot of people feel the need to add something , but IMO wouldn't a torch do the job just as well?

But where is the fun in that? 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hstephen5 said:

But where is the fun in that? 😀

boys and their toys:D

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ‘hstephen5’ for your post. 
I had to replace the original under roof locker rope led lights, as sections were failing, with the led adhesive strip a year ago.
There were a couple of metres left over but it hadn’t occurred to me to fit some into the rather dark central wardrobe. We had tried the feeble round battery led once and discarded them.

Now have the switch on order, access to 12V identified and all set to get the job done.
Thanks again for shining a light on this simple brilliant idea!

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...