Putting windows in a panel van

anyone put rear windows into a panel van? just to make it look less like a pokey on tour

i have bought a 2019 citroen dispatch and want to install windows into the 2 sliding doors

any rules or regulations i should know about ?

i believe to put rear seats in requires a certificate from the seat manufacturer 

anything like this for windows ?

Not sure, but I think if you add extra seats and/or windows into a panel van it is no longer classed as a panel van and many more regulations and taxes are applicable. 

You need to check this out carefully.

7 hours ago, telegan said:

anyone put rear windows into a panel van? just to make it look less like a pokey on tour

i have bought a 2019 citroen dispatch and want to install windows into the 2 sliding doors

i believe to put rear seats in requires a certificate from the seat manufacturer 

Just that you have to notify changes

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

A chap who lives close to me has a Renault Master van that he's converted. There are no actual windows but he has stuck black plastic in some of the window "cutouts" and even from fairly close up it looks very effective.

I think you will be able to buy the windows to go in the van. One of my neighbours is doing the same on a transit at the minute.

I dont think there is any regulations regarding the windows, but the seats, if they are belted, have to be type approved for the van, which means the seat manufacturer will have carried out a simulated crash test on the seat. 

If it was a Peugeot Boxer or Fiat Duacato then there are a few seats available, not sure about your van though.

The windows and any frames need to be type approved and carry the relevant markings on them. You should check with the original manufacturers converters guide if you can get a copy, to avoid cutting in embargoed areas. 

The seat may have a certificate from the manufacturer but few manufacturers will have done the necessary pull tests for seatbelts and mountings. 

I personally think you are asking on the wrong forum. Why not post your question on a motorhome conversion forum, they will have a lot of people on there that have probably ask the same question. :)  

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

I think advice from a vehicle converter would  help. There are plenty around.  Vehicle Insurance may be tricky, and you must tell them.

Ern

Try the self build motorhomers forum

sbmcc

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Number one son is converting a VW LT 35 into a camper van, you can convert it however you want and use it as is without notifying the DVLA, however to register it as a camper you have to comply with the DVLA's checklist, it doesn't specify the type of windows  that need to be fitted so manufacturers or after market windows can be fitted.

The advantage of registering it as a camper is lower insurance and less restrictive speed limits, however most insurance companies insist on a few extras to be fitted over and above the DVLA specs, the road tax stays the same.

When fitting windows to a panel van you can get it registered as a panel van with windows, the tax stays the same, I'm not sure about the windows and re registering affecting insurance but a quick phone call to your insurance company is all that's needed to check.

Regarding seats, it appears any seats can be fitted, there are many companies making after market ones, as long as they comply with the regs and are mounted correctly, you only have to notify the DVLA that you have increased the the seating capacity and oddly enough you don't have to have seatbelts fitted on them again check with your insurance company for their criteria.

DVLA and fitting seats................https://tinyurl.com/y65d9z3q

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Just been talking to my son on the phone and in passing I mentioned this thread, he said have a read at this .............................https://tinyurl.com/y5u7ygvm ................from one of the VW forums he goes on, it may answer most of your questions.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

A guy in work has just had windows and a rock-n-roll? fitted to his T5 VW (I thinks it means a type of seat that folds into a bed)

He did it to change the vehicle type from a van to a camper, as he got 2 speeding tickets last year for not keeping to the 10 mph less than the national speed limit, once on an unrestricted road and the last one on a dual carriageway. He said after always driving cars it's was too easy to forget and just drive at the same speed as the traffic flow. 

He says it wasn't cheap but it's added value to the vehicle plus reduced the chance of another speeding ticket.

For anyone reading this thread thinking of doing a conversion this from the DVLA...........https://tinyurl.com/y234fndk

gives all the specifications you have to meet.

10 hours ago, telegan said:

Maybe you would like to register with our sister forum Motorhome Talk where precise advice maybe more forthcoming.

Meanwhile, actually fitting windows into the door panels, is probably the easiest part.

It is my belief that if no windows are currently behind the driver (other than within a rear door or tailgate) you may need to register a change of use with the DVLA. Similarly there are regulations regarding any additional seating you may wish to fit. This will include such things as the seat design and security of their mountings, along with seat belts and their mountings. 

I bet you wish you hadn't asked now? :)

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

1 hour ago, Silversurf said:

For anyone reading this thread thinking of doing a conversion this from the DVLA...........https://tinyurl.com/y234fndk

gives all the specifications you have to meet.

I am surprised to read that the government require motor caravan graphics to be added when converting a van.

40 minutes ago, DACS said:

I am surprised to read that the government require motor caravan graphics to be added when converting a van.

As far as I am aware they also require it to be a high top and to have an awning fitted. 

Edited by Easy T

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

29 minutes ago, DACS said:

Agree and it is a bone of contention with many folk  doing conversions, you also now have to fit an awning rail on one side as well !

But no stipulation to have a bottled gas on board decal !

The existence of these is only verified by the photos you  have to submit for registration, there are no process or rules that say they have to be checked, or who by in the future, so they could 'fall off' at some time. :rolleyes:

The DVLA reason for these changes, which have changed several times themselves over the last few years, is that it can be recognised as a motor caravan by the emergency services among other things, how that makes any difference is beyond most folk 🤷‍♂️

The same could be said of day vans and conversions not re-registered that they should have the logos, awning rail etc. due to many day vans etc .being kitted out exactly the same.

No one at the DVLA can state exactly what constitutes ' caravan graphics ' ref style, size and positioning.

One particular new rule is that to be a motor caravan it has to have a high roof, limiting the choice of van and that pop up roofs are not allowed, which is affecting conversion businesses, you can still convert a van using a pop up  but it can only be classed as  panel van with windows, negating the cheaper insurance and speed benefits of a MH.

6 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

But no stipulation to have a bottled gas on board decal !

I did not think there was a stipulation that one must be on a caravan either unless a commercial vehicle.

7 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

The DVLA reason for these changes, which have changed several times themselves over the last few years, is that it can be recognised as a motor caravan by the emergency services among other things, how that makes any difference is beyond most folk 🤷‍♂️

The police know whether to prosecute for speeding or not

8 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

The same could be said of day vans and conversions not re-registered that they should have the logos, awning rail etc. due to many day vans etc .being kitted out exactly the same.

changes should be registered but probably the class will remain the same

Alan

I can remember when you had to pay purchase tax if you added windows to a van.  The trick was to buy the van new but it was valued as second hand when you added the windows.