Jump to content
Cadej88

Kampa limpets

Recommended Posts

Have used them on both our vans and apart from learning quickly that they do not stay stuck to any decals and not to over tighten them am more than happy with. Like others have been using the non Kampa version from ebay recently and must admit they do appear to be a lot stronger and considerably cheaper.

  • Thanks 1

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jacko1 said:

Have used them on both our vans and apart from learning quickly that they do not stay stuck to any decals and not to over tighten them am more than happy with. Like others have been using the non Kampa version from ebay recently and must admit they do appear to be a lot stronger and considerably cheaper.

Daft question I know but what are the non branded ones called?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used them for the first time this week, they went on easily and have stayed on. My son recommend them having used them over the last year, but he did warn me not to over tighten them.


VW Tiguan R Line Tech and Eccles Topaz SE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cadej88 said:

Daft question I know but what are the non branded ones called?

 

Limpet suction cups.

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123790113748

  • Thanks 1

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

 

Limpet suction cups.

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123790113748

They be the ones, have also just ordered the ones from Amazon with the metal threads as per the suggestion from ReggiePerrin earlier on in this thread just to see what they are like. They may not arrive in time for this weekends trip, but will give them a go on our next trip out at the end of August.


2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Kampa limpets and strangely am going to suggest that their low breaking force might not be entirely a bad thing.

As long as things are clean they stick very well with very little tightening required.

If they were more robust I might be tempted to tighten them more with the potential issues to the caravan sides this might cause ........

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jacko1 said:

have also just ordered the ones from Amazon with the metal threads as per the suggestion from ReggiePerrin earlier on in this thread just to see what they are like. They may not arrive in time for this weekends trip, but will give them a go on our next trip out at the end of August.

 

I did the same!  Although I have got on fine with the Kampa ones I wanted to try the (seemingly more robust) alternatives, just in case.


2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been using our Kampa Limpets for a couple of years with our Kampa air awning, we also use the poles, when you are on a windy site the poles plus the limpets make a better seal.

 

Never had an issue marking the paintwork on our Bailey Genoa, but you have to be selective where you place the limpets as they don't seal on the Genoa decal artwork as it's not a smooth finish. I had to make a couple of extra holes to miss the decals, I made the holes with a soldering iron as it also seals the edges of the holes to prevent fraying of the material. We haven't broke any yet, but then we don't go mad winding them on.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t bother buying their punch use a leather or paper punch.

 

Ian


2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Interesting that the ebay seller uses the word ‘Limpet’ for their copies of the Dometic Kampa (trademarked ) Limpet™

 

 

Ha ha, guess you don't use eBay much? It's like the Wild West of retail.

 

Nobody cares about patents, trademarks, brands etc.

 

You can literally get fake anything on there, especially if you include Chinese sellers in your search criteria.

  • Like 1

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

 

Ha ha, guess you don't use eBay much? It's like the Wild West of retail.

 

Nobody cares about patents, trademarks, brands etc.

 

You can literally get fake anything on there, especially if you include Chinese sellers in your search criteria.

So infrequently and so long ago as to be virtually no.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

So infrequently and so long ago as to be virtually no.  

 

I don't blame you!! :D


2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all for your input, will order those off eBay or amazon. Also while I’ve got this thread going I’m after some led strip light but the kind that does different colours at the same time in like a sequence would these be addressable dream colour strips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have fitted colour changing led strips in my den... (rarely used in any shade other than as dim soft white work lighting above my desk).  I had to change the remote control system as the one provided needed line of sight between remote and the receiver but other than that... an exceedingly simply job.

 

Here is a Trudgian project... simply swap the white LED strip(s) for colour.  I have the Kampa Sabre lighting and somewhere on here is my version of protective storage tubes for the lights...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

I have fitted colour changing led strips in my den... (rarely used in any shade other than as dim soft white work lighting above my desk).  I had to change the remote control system as the one provided needed line of sight between remote and the receiver but other than that... an exceedingly simply job.

 

Here is a Trudgian project... simply swap the white LED strip(s) for colour.  I have the Kampa Sabre lighting and somewhere on here is my version of protective storage tubes for the lights...

 

 

Hi really interesting to watch but that isn’t the kind I meant will see if I can see a video on YouTube to upload on

5 minutes ago, Cadej88 said:

Hi really interesting to watch but that isn’t the kind I meant will see if I can see a video on YouTube to upload like those below

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had a couple of those flag pole chasing lights but they are very fragile, they use thin copper strips like printed circuit tracks and if left up in the wind the tracks crack, I have spent time finding the cracks and soldering links across them but it becomes a real pain.

 

Ian


2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/07/2020 at 10:50, IanV8 said:

I have had a couple of those flag pole chasing lights but they are very fragile, they use thin copper strips like printed circuit tracks and if left up in the wind the tracks crack, I have spent time finding the cracks and soldering links across them but it becomes a real pain.

 

Ian

Just for reference which ones did you have Ian? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cadej88 said:

Just for reference which ones did you have Ian? 

Don't tell him, Pike!! 

  • Sad 1

Graham

 

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WispMan said:

Don't tell him, Pike!! 

Thank you 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2020 at 21:37, Cadej88 said:

Just for reference which ones did you have Ian? 

Can’t remember but they were 132 programmes from eBay.

 

I think they are all a similar construction.

 

Ian

On 28/07/2020 at 19:44, ReggiePerrin said:

From over-tightening but the thread stud also goes brittle.  

 

Having got through quite a number of limpets over the course of a couple years (8 for the awning sides and two for the wheel arch cover in use at any one time) I went instead for IKEA ‘Stukvig’ suction cup hooks with a metal stud.  (now discontinued).

 

These will do the same job, have stainless steel threads and only cost £7.33 for 8 from Amazon

 

image.jpeg.0eaeb53457feb1fe9961e4401cc928ff.jpeg

 

 

 

 

Just got a delivery of these and they are not like limpets but just a straight sticker, seem quite sturdy and stuck to the coffee table quite well.

 

Ian


2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/08/2020 at 10:06, IanV8 said:

Just got a delivery of these and they are not like limpets but just a straight sticker, seem quite sturdy and stuck to the coffee table quite well.

 

Ian

 

Same here, ordered them from the first advert for a UK supplier I found on Amazon.  Tried them on the caravan and they weren't brilliant (GRP sides) but stuck to my forehead a treat.

 

stickers.jpg

  • Haha 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 that's what there called we got 10 from a camping shop in Lyndhurst they were good when they were new they keep popping off now 

Edited by twizzy
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...