• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, absolutely. I do it all the time. Charging the battery and drawing from it at the same time are not a problem. The charger measures the voltage across the battery terminals and adds vol

Not correct At least, not for a ctek charger - see the instruction pdf. There is no "on" button. It is a button to select a different mode. Upon being reconnected and plugged in to the mains

But neither pin 9 nor pin 13 are wired up on the electrical connection of my towcar and yet all 12v lights, water pumps, fridge, etc work while on the move.

24 minutes ago, Willbiker said:

amazing! I just looked up the spec and it peaks at 15.8 volts? but if you are saying it won't put out over 14.5 volts when an appliance is drawing from it then perfect! Just for peace of mind, I'll email CTEK and ask. Thanks!

I fitted a AA smart charger and maintainer when my van one packed in and I couldn’t get it fixed,   I leave it permanently connected whether in use or on hookup at home.

its been on now over one year, it was permanently on three months in Spain over winter.

I haven’t even disconnected the original inboard charger.

Platinum battery company advised me it was perfectly ok to do.

origial charger supplier to my Coachman Vision sent me a diagram of how to do it.

battery is 110 amps and ammeter in van shows 12.5 to 12.8.

Total cost from Amazon,£27.00 !

25 minutes ago, Willbiker said:

amazing! I just looked up the spec and it peaks at 15.8 volts? but if you are saying it won't put out over 14.5 volts when an appliance is drawing from it then perfect! Just for peace of mind, I'll email CTEK and ask. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Pheasant said:

I fitted a AA smart charger and maintainer when my van one packed in and I couldn’t get it fixed,   I leave it permanently connected whether in use or on hookup at home.

its been on now over one year, it was permanently on three months in Spain over winter.

I haven’t even disconnected the original inboard charger.

Platinum battery company advised me it was perfectly ok to do.

origial charger supplier to my Coachman Vision sent me a diagram of how to do it.

battery is 110 amps and ammeter in van shows 12.5 to 12.8.

Total cost from Amazon,£27.00 !

Awesome! I will look this up! Great to hear

My 14.5V max was a top of the head figure. The attached pdf shows the 15.8V is ONLY applied during the reconditioning phase. read the pdf and you'll understand.

The bottom line is it is designed (and does) to stay permanently charging your battery. The "smart" part is that it knows how much to put in to bring your battery up to 100% and hold it there, without damaging it. Don't ask me how it does it, I have no idea, but it does. I have no idea how my tv set works, but it does.

MXS_5.0-manual-low-UK-EN.pdf

Only thing to remember is to tap ON button on charger after period of mains disconnection.

Short disconnection and it has memory and switches back on itself.

4 minutes ago, Pheasant said:

Only thing to remember is to tap ON button on charger after period of mains disconnection.

Short disconnection and it has memory and switches back on itself.

Not correct At least, not for a ctek charger - see the instruction pdf.

There is no "on" button. It is a button to select a different mode.

Upon being reconnected and plugged in to the mains, the charger will commence charging in the same mode as when it was last connected, irrespective of how long ago that was.

Edited by daveat92
  • I agree completely 2
38 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

Upon being reconnected and plugged in to the mains, the charger will commence charging in the same mode as when it was last connected, irrespective of how long ago that was.

This is great! Thanks very much for the info 

42 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

It is correct for a AA charger,perhaps that’s why it costs £27 to £35 ,against  about 80 for Ctec.but every review states just as good,some say better! 

How do you think the ctek will perform if 2x 120ah batteries are connected to it? Will it just take twice as long to achieve each stage or will the smart features be lost 🤔 

Edited by Willbiker
56 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

It is correct for a AA charger,perhaps that’s why it costs £27 to £35 ,against  about 80 for Ctec.but every review states just as good,some say better

11 minutes ago, Pheasant said:

It is correct for a AA charger,perhaps that’s why it costs £27 to £35 ,against  about 80 for Ctec.but every review states just as good,some say better! 

5 minutes ago, Willbiker said:

How do you think the ctek will perform if 2x 120ah batteries are connected to it? Will it just take twice as long to achieve each stage or will the smart features be lost 🤔 

Don’t know,best to ask Ctec. From memory I think the AA does select voltage automatically,and is happy with 24 v.

21 minutes ago, Willbiker said:

Or get a bigger C-Tek?

There's always the option of going down the marine charger route (no 230v inverter), either Sterling or Mastervolt. We use Mastervolt at work on boats and on the leisure battery side, we charge 4 x 125Ah batteries for domestic use. These also power the 12V fridge and heating (no gas, no mains 230v)  and all 230v appliances via the inverters built into the respective chargers. These chargers come at a cost though.

You're probably even more confused now lol.

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

I’ve been thinking about the exact same issue (over-voltage from smart chargers).  My solution is to accept that the majority of things on the 12v bus can cope with a wide range of voltages without issue.  For those things I think will be delicate about it, the TV for example, I plan to fit a 12v regulator that provides a stable 12v out across 9 to 30v and feed them from that.

1 hour ago, Xyleth said:

I’ve been thinking about the exact same issue (over-voltage from smart chargers).  My solution is to accept that the majority of things on the 12v bus can cope with a wide range of voltages without issue.  For those things I think will be delicate about it, the TV for example, I plan to fit a 12v regulator that provides a stable 12v out across 9 to 30v and feed them from that.

I have no idea about your TV, but the one I use will happily run off the 12V socket when the Ctek is charging.

6 hours ago, Willbiker said:

Ask Cteck. https://www.ctek.com/uk/contact-us

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

On 28/07/2020 at 10:07, Mr Plodd said:

First up you will not be able to run your fridge on the 12v supply from your Leisure battery, They are designed (and wired) to run on 12 v only when connected to your towing vehicle and it’s engine is running due to the current required. That facility is to try and keep the fridge cool when the caravan is being towed between sites and is pretty inefficient. 

That is not universal. The fridge in my caravan definitely does run off the leisure battery whether the caravan is hooked up or not and whether the engine of the towcar is running or not.

10 minutes ago, Lutz said:

That is not universal. The fridge in my caravan definitely does run off the leisure battery whether the caravan is hooked up or not and whether the engine of the towcar is running or not.

All UK built caravans, unless privately modified, will not run off the leisure battery. As Mr Plodd says, they will only run off 12v if connected to the tow vehicle and the engine is running.

• I agree completely 1

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

14 minutes ago, Lutz said:

How long would it take to flatten the fully charged leisure battery ?

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Is that a compressor fridge? Is that set up common on Continental caravans? My son's boat has a compressor fridge and that runs off leisure battery very economically. 

Ern

2 hours ago, Silversurf said:

How long would it take to flatten the fully charged leisure battery ?

The consumption depends on the type of fridge, the difference between the temperatures inside and outside the fridge and how often you open the door.

The absorption fridges normally used in caravans draw about 10 amps when cooling.  This could theoretically exhaust a 110 Ah battery in 11 hours but it is generally recommended that you do not use more than half of the stated capacity of your battery.  This also assumes that you do not use the battery for anything else.

Modern compressor fridges are more efficient and the last one that I fitted averaged about 0.5 amps.   This was in a boat with two 110 Ah batteries and we could stay for three or four days without recharging.

2 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

All UK built caravans, unless privately modified, will not run off the leisure battery. As Mr Plodd says, they will only run off 12v if connected to the tow vehicle and the engine is running.

Does that mean that they only work on gas if pitched without an EHU or do they work on 12v if not connected electrically to the towcar?

They will function on gas if not connected to EHU, they will function on gas if they ARE connected to EHU. It’s the users choice.

What they will NOT do is operate off 12v unless the caravan is  connected to the towing vehicle the engine of which is running (it’s the output from the alternator that powers the fridge in that situation not the towing vehicles battery. Turn the engine off and the fridge gets no power other than to  the control panel) 

So when on site the only options are 230v OR Gas, never 12V

The 12v system is there to keep the fridge “ticking over” when being towed between sites and nothing else.

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

54 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Does that mean that they only work on gas if pitched without an EHU or do they work on 12v if not connected electrically to the towcar?

As per Andy’s post, and to add some need  a 12v Supply to drive the fridge control panel, however the cooling is by gas, or mains electric, never by the leisure battery.

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Thanks for the replies. They clear things up for me now, because on my caravan (the 12v system has never been modified) the fridge works on 12v at any time. Must be the difference between UK and Continental caravans.

2 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Thanks for the replies. They clear things up for me now, because on my caravan (the 12v system has never been modified) the fridge works on 12v at any time. Must be the difference between UK and Continental caravans.

Could yours be a compressor fridge with the compressor motor being 12v?

All the UK caravan fridges (as far as I am aware)  are absorption types.

2 hours ago, Lutz said:

I am exceedingly sceptical of your claim that the fridge works on 12v unless  it’s a compressor fridge, what’s the make and model? Does it have a gas option?? 

Are you sure its actually cooling on 12v and it’s not just the display that is visible/operating? 

An evaporation fridge draws a lot of amps and will flatten a leisure battery pretty quickly, so how long does your battery last with the fridge on 12v, and you not being on EHU? 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills