blondchaser76

New way to get more money out of us ????

It's that time of year again when the caravan insurance is due for renewal.

Clubcare sent in their renewal price which is a fair bit higher than previous years.

Since outside work was rained off today, I decided to phone them to enquire about renewal.

Not possible to contact them on number given, only one of these blasted automated systems.

Late afternoon saw me find another number which was eventually answered.

Increase is due to something I have never noticed previously, they call it a "Policy Fee". When questioned in depth about this fee they informed me it was to cover administration ???

Don't most businesses include their admin costs in the prices they charge?

In my 20+ years of business I would not have got away with adding my admin costs to an invoice.

When I refused to pay this, they instantly halved the admin charge.

Incidentally, daughters car insurance due for renewal and she had this same charge applied. After chewing the fat with someone senior in the company, they have quashed their policy fee completely.

The bottom line on the quote is the only thing that matters, not how they have arrived at it.

If it's better than the competitors, go for it. If not, go somewhere else.

The insurance market is quite profitable and there are many other insurers who would be happy to quote you.

• I agree completely 3

37 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

The bottom line on the quote is the only thing that matters, not how they have arrived at it.

If it's better than the competitors, go for it. If not, go somewhere else.

The insurance market is quite profitable and there are many other insurers who would be happy to quote you.

Really. Just spent long time trying to navigate insurance guard site only to find they don't insure old vans or vans without wheel / axle locks.

This is something that has crept in  within the last few years. To me it is bad practice but the price you pay is more relevant than how it is made up.

I change the sum insured every year for inflation as we have replacement as new cover. If you cannot get through to do this,  changing insurer is possibly the only thing to do. If you are on replacement cover then you should drop the sum insured to allow for depreciation.

16 hours ago, blondchaser76 said:

Really. Just spent long time trying to navigate insurance guard site only to find they don't insure old vans or vans without wheel / axle locks.

That's rather like me complaining insurers ask me to lock my bike when I leave it.

An old police sergeant  once told me that locks were only to keep honest folk out !!!

• Like 2

Policy/admin/arrangement fees have been brought in over the last few years as a means of making more money. Even when a policy is renewed the fees appear. The C&CC Clubcare brought in their policy fee a few years ago so maybe you just never noticed before. If you are planning on replacing a car/caravan during the year it pays to see which companies do not charge admin fees for changes before taking out a policy.

5 hours ago, daveat92 said:

That's rather like me complaining insurers ask me to lock my bike when I leave it.

Not really your insurance could specify a chain around front wheel. a chain around back wheel or both as options. 

On my insurance I choose to use alarm, don't choose to use tracker, choose to use Al-Ko hub lock, don't choose to use a hitch lock as my arthritic hands find this awkward. A neighbour chose to use a hitch lock and not a wheel lock

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

On 28/07/2020 at 00:37, blondchaser76 said:

It pays to work out what security measures you are happy to use and then try to find a policy that will accept them.

I have found several insurance policies that will not cover theft of the van if it is left unattended for any period without a wheel lock or clamp.  We like to stop for meal breaks when travelling and I do not want to mess about with a wheel clamp in a motorway lorry park.

By shopping around, I now have a policy which only requires security devices if the caravan is unattended for over an hour and, even then, I only need a hitch lock OR a wheel clamp.  The policy is with MyInsurance.

42 minutes ago, DACS said:

I have found several insurance policies that will not cover theft of the van if it is left unattended for any period without a wheel lock or clamp.  We like to stop for meal breaks when travelling and I do not want to mess about with a wheel clamp in a motorway lorry park.

I am pretty sure that my caravan insurance actually stipulates a maximum period it can be left unattended without the security measures (hitch and wheel lock) in place. I am pretty sure that period is 24 hours but I cannot check as I am not at home at present. 

I have never fitted my wheel lock when stopping en route but I always fit my hitch lock when towing.  I know others disagree with that course of action, and it’s merits have been argued at great length in the past, so let’s not revisit it again please. 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

19 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I am pretty sure that my caravan insurance actually stipulates a maximum period it can be left unattended without the security measures (hitch and wheel lock) in place. I am pretty sure that period is 24 hours but I cannot check as I am not at home at present. 

I have never fitted my wheel lock when stopping en route but I always fit my hitch lock when towing.  I know others disagree with that course of action, and it’s merits have been argued at great length in the past, so let’s not revisit it again please. 

I actually asked one insurer about this as the policy seemed to say that security devices were required whenever unattended.  I was told that up to two hours without security was acceptable so I asked for it in writing.  They said that they would have to speak to the underwriters and they never came back to me.

Posted (edited)

I cannot understand why an insurer would allow an unattended caravan to be left without security devices on. At the motorway services it can take maybe less than a minute to lift one off a car and onto another and then be gone. No way would I even want to do it. If we do a services stop one of us stays at the car/caravan whilst the other goes. The car is usually full of stuff on display as well so a few seconds to break in and that could be gone.

Edited by Paul1957

Unfortunately ClubCarell  are still offering the best value for the cover given . Will hassle them a bit more on this policy fee racket, then wait until the last minute before re insuring.

If it is a broker, rather than the actual insurance company, then the policy arrangement fee has always been there, but I think that legislation changed so that fees and tax have to be shown separately.  Before then it will have just been part of the premium.

I'll try and find the explanatory link to where I saw that information.

Looking at second hand cars I notice that many dealer are adding £149 admin fee to the asking price.  Explained as the cost of checking whether the car has any outstanding debt, insurance claims etc. etc.

Never heard of that scam before! 

1 hour ago, beejay said:

Looking at second hand cars I notice that many dealer are adding £149 admin fee to the asking price.  Explained as the cost of checking whether the car has any outstanding debt, insurance claims etc. etc.

See it a lot on the large ones and car supermarket type 

On 29/07/2020 at 12:56, Mr Plodd said:

I am very new to this caravaning thing, I may be opening a can of worms but why would the hitch lock be a problem?  I have towed trailers and always put the hitch lock on to make it less attractive to thieves 

11 minutes ago, Ex-Gasman said:

I am very new to this caravaning thing, I may be opening a can of worms but why would the hitch lock be a problem?  I have towed trailers and always put the hitch lock on to make it less attractive to thieves 

A look/search in the Security/Alarm/Locks section of the forum will tell you all there is to know, it is an ongoing debate and not for this particular topic.

Link HERE

• Like 1

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

In many situations, removal of the jockey wheel would make theft a lot more time consuming.

9 hours ago, blondchaser76 said:

In many situations, removal of the jockey wheel would make theft a lot more time consuming.

How? 

Two strapping lads lads can easily lift the front of a caravan onto a towhitch in seconds.

Any thief worth his salt will carry a spare anyway, along with another number plate.

Edited by Mr Plodd