Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi, 1st time buyer here, I'm sure you get soooo many people coming on here asking the same questions, but it is so hard to get independent advice, etc. I have put a deposit on a bailey ranger 505 2009/2010, the inside looks amazing, really clean, no smell or signs of mould, etc. When I went to view it today the guy said... wait for it... there is some damp in the top of the rear cupboard (spongy wall board). I went to look and couldn't find it, asked him to show me and there it was, not noticeable, unless pressed. The area is the size of a small plate. He explained that the water ingress is coming from the jointing plate that covers the rear panel and roof joint (images attached), you can see that the previous owner has tried to fix it (not very well in my view), there is also 2 small flex cracks on the rear panel in this area (i have been told that this is common) which have been poorly covered by sealant. I also noticed that a small section in the cupboard (same area) had already been changed/repaied as I could see where they had tried to seal it. I spent 2 hours inspecting every corner of  the caravan and everywhere else looked great. We love the caravan but are worried about buying it. The dealer has said that they will order some replacement board that matches, they will cut the old out and replace, also they will seal the external with some polymer??? He stated that they have checked the damp reading and it is only 15%, does this sound correct? I have ordered a Stanley damp meter (i know this will not be as accurate as an expensive one, but best option i have). The price is £8000, has 3 month warranty, starter pack and full service carried out. We are going back to view on Saturday when they will have hooked it up so we can see all equipment working. What are your thoughts and views? Should I buy or walk away? Any advice would be be greatly appreciated 🙏 🙂 

 

2 previous owners  last one 7 years, CRiS checked and all ok.

Screenshot_20200727-204750_Gallery.jpg

Would only allow me to upload 1 image.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't walk away whatever you do. 

 

RUN like the wind. 

 

Kin the opposite direction, after getting your deposit back. 

  • I agree completely 4

Graham

 

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the above post, run away !!

If the interior wallboard is spongy it is rotten, and so is the wood frame behind it.

 

From the look of it , it is a Bailey van and they are well known for the roof strap to leak and there is only one way of sorting that out and it does not involve the hideous "fix" that has been done.

 

Keep looking for a dry van, they are out there, but do not go ahead with this one.

  • I agree completely 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A cheap but damp caravan ends up costing more than a slightly more expensive but dry caravan. Yes, damp caravans can be repaired but as the dealer knows you’re keen he is (possibly) only going to do a repair that satisfies you to the end of the warranty period. If he’s serious that everywhere else is fine and he’ll repair it properly he shouldn’t have any qualms about upping the warranty period to 18 months against damp. I suspect he won’t entertain this.

 

Keep looking, there will be a gem out there with your name on it somewhere.

  • I agree completely 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Read THIS and heed the advice therein. THIS might be of interest too.

 

I had a caravan that had that exact leakage in the same place. The whole side had to be replaced to do it properly so do not even consider it.

 

Because of the problem the true value is £4,500 at the most.

Edited by BOAC
  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The advice you've been given is the best advice you can get. I'm like the grandmaster of owning damp vans....just walk away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to put more photos on you need to edit them to compress the file size. This can be done through Windows picture editor and compressing to the document size.

 

As others have said though, do not bother with this caravan. By the dealer pointing out the damp he is also covering himself so you could not claim it was miss sold. For a damp caravan that is 11 years old £8000 might be too much considering it could be many hundreds or more to repair. The dealer will likely not have paid much for it since he will have been aware of the damp. When you do find another caravan you like, do not put down a deposit until you are happy there is no damp or other things needing fixing just to avoid the bother of trying to get it back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice, really really appreciate it, we would all be lost if it wasn't for helpful people like you . They have a 2010 Elddis avante 505 in stock, does anyone know if this is prone to the same issues ? 

3 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

If you want to put more photos on you need to edit them to compress the file size. This can be done through Windows picture editor and compressing to the document size.

 

As others have said though, do not bother with this caravan. By the dealer pointing out the damp he is also covering himself so you could not claim it was miss sold. For a damp caravan that is 11 years old £8000 might be too much considering it could be many hundreds or more to repair. The dealer will likely not have paid much for it since he will have been aware of the damp. When you do find another caravan you like, do not put down a deposit until you are happy there is no damp or other things needing fixing just to avoid the bother of trying to get it back.

 I never thought about it in that way, it makes sense now though and I was thinking he was being helpful lol 😆 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

Thanks for the advice, really really appreciate it, we would all be lost if it wasn't for helpful people like you . They have a 2010 Elddis avante 505 in stock, does anyone know if this is prone to the same issues ? 

 

 

In case you have not seen it, there is a check tick sheet when checking a caravan. It can be downloaded so you can print it to take with you. You can find it at the foot of THIS article.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BOAC said:

 

 

In case you have not seen it, there is a check tick sheet when checking a caravan. It can be downloaded so you can print it to take with you. You can find it at the foot of THIS article.

 

 

Thats really helpful, thanks once again for the help. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have an Elddis Avante (Chatsworth) 515 2011 model. When a few years old it had damp at the front top and that was fixed under warranty by resealing the awning rail and replacing the internal boards and wood. Now it has a bit of damp on the front at the lower outer side/bottom of the left window. The dealer said it was from a stress crack in the front panel top right of the window area (there is another on the other side but no sign of any damp) and put some tape over it. The stress cracks have been there for a few years with no signs of damp until late last year. It has dried out quite a bit (sunny weather ?) but I found when I washed the front it showed a bit of damp soon after so I have now sealed the front window hinge bar so will see how it gets on. Leaks via the window hinge bars can happen so a damp check should always be carried out around them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do that with mine check it for leaks when its raining or if I wash it :D,,  When I bought mine it had water ingress a real bad leak but it had been sealed , I still had to strip it back and fix it , 2 weeks it took me.

Later on I found another small part of the caravan that had leaked but that is all fixed now , protimeter says caravan bone dry :D.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friend had a Bailey Ranger of the same age, and his was damp at trade in time. They offered £2000.  His service guy (AWS) resealed the awning rail 2 years before but there was also multiple cracking on front and rear panels, which seem to be common with Baileys of about 10 years old.

 

He missed the next years service for some reason which may have picked the other damp patches up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, phoned the dealer about the damp and getting my deposit back... and they just said ok.. I've got someone else wanting to buy it anyway. I then phoned a dealer about a caravan i had seen online, but low and be hold it had been sold, surprise surprise lol, asked if they had anything available and they did, they had an Elddis xplore 495 2011 model for £7k with no damp, 3 months warranty etc.  so I have put a deposite down and wil be viewing it on Saturday, i would be greatful if any one has got any advise about this type/model of caravan as I can seem to find much on line about them none for sale. thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that caravans are selling like hot cakes at the moment. Its good in a way but unfortunately dealers will be/may be even less trustworthy than  ever. There are a lot of buyers who are inexperienced caravanners, desperate to provide a holiday for their families right now.  We have advised many times on this forum  to get a mobile service workshop to carry out an inspection and damp test before commiting to buy.

  • I agree completely 1

Ern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I bought my last two new caravans it was specified in the contract that the dealer carried out a damp check in my presence so that I could verify the readings prior to acceptance


Alan

 

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lawrence said:

So, phoned the dealer about the damp and getting my deposit back... and they just said ok.. I've got someone else wanting to buy it anyway. I then phoned a dealer about a caravan i had seen online, but low and be hold it had been sold, surprise surprise lol, asked if they had anything available and they did, they had an Elddis xplore 495 2011 model for £7k with no damp, 3 months warranty etc.  so I have put a deposite down and wil be viewing it on Saturday, i would be greatful if any one has got any advise about this type/model of caravan as I can seem to find much on line about them none for sale. thanks in advance.

Why are you having to put a deposit down before seeing the caravan ? Is it you are just desperate to get one or are dealers wanting it ? Advertising something they may not have for sale could be just to get interested buyers to contact them, or maybe not. See if it is still for sale in a day or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting down a deposit without seeing the caravan is asking for trouble. Only put down a deposit when you have seen and fully inspected it. 

  • I agree completely 2

Graham

 

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

Why are you having to put a deposit down before seeing the caravan ? Is it you are just desperate to get one or are dealers wanting it ? Advertising something they may not have for sale could be just to get interested buyers to contact them, or maybe not. See if it is still for sale in a day or so.

 

Talking to a friend last night who is after an Elddis 402 he was telling me that the dealers he's visited are selling second hand caravans so fast that if someone rings and expresses an interest, a telephone deposit is the only way of ensuring the caravan will still be there to see by the time they've actually got into the car and driven to the dealer to see it.  It isn't a problem PROVIDING the deposit really is refundable immediately if the viewer doesn't like what he sees.

  • I agree completely 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

 

Talking to a friend last night who is after an Elddis 402 he was telling me that the dealers he's visited are selling second hand caravans so fast that if someone rings and expresses an interest, a telephone deposit is the only way of ensuring the caravan will still be there to see by the time they've actually got into the car and driven to the dealer to see it.  It isn't a problem PROVIDING the deposit really is refundable immediately if the viewer doesn't like what he sees.

That was certainly the case when we bought our Ranger recently, and we rang the dealer pretty much as soon as they opened after lockdown.  I can only think it's gotten worse since then as more people draw the conclusion that in UK breaks are the way to go this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it seems to be the norm at the moment, I went round 9 different dealers on saturday and they all said the same thing, most said they would normally have 60+ caravans on site to view, but they were down to 10 or so and any new ones were going before they had even arrived or just pasted through the gates. Deposite is refundable so cant be complain, I think it is to stop time waster, the dealer sent me a 3 minute video walk round to see if we liked it, we did, paid half the deposit and then will pay the other half on viewing, then pay full balance when it is ready to collect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to view the elddis explore 495 2011, only to find that there was some black mould in the rear left corner under the rear double dinette seating, i took my own damp meter (only a Stanley model) and the reading in the very corner was 50%, check out side and the corner of the floor board was also wet, then used the dealers meter and tger readings were the same. They have said that they will cut the affected board out (wall, floor and external floor), they have said that theybwill give a 12 month warranty on the affected area, but i am concerned that the damp will come back and that the floor structure might be affected, whats your thoughts? £7290 is the price. Thanks in advance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When a dealer takes in a caravan as part exchange the hey always check it thoroughly for damp and adjust the price accordingly, so the chances are the dealer knew about that damp but was trying to move it on without disclosing it. Personally I wouldn’t trust them but only you know them so can make that call.

 

 I don’t have first hand experience of the used caravan market lately but to me paying over £7,000 for one with Undisclosed damp sounds expensive. If it is bone dry everywhere else and they are offering 12 months warranty on the repair it might be okay but monitor the area every month after the repair.


2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

Went to view the elddis explore 495 2011, only to find that there was some black mould in the rear left corner under the rear double dinette seating, i took my own damp meter (only a Stanley model) and the reading in the very corner was 50%, check out side and the corner of the floor board was also wet, then used the dealers meter and tger readings were the same. They have said that they will cut the affected board out (wall, floor and external floor), they have said that theybwill give a 12 month warranty on the affected area, but i am concerned that the damp will come back and that the floor structure might be affected, whats your thoughts? £7290 is the price. Thanks in advance 

 Nothing wrong with your damp meter "(only a Stanley model)" if it's showing the same as the dealers. Are they just replacing the rotten timber or is the source of the leak going to be repaired as well? If the leak isn't sorted the damp and rot WILL reappear.


Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They did they would replace the wood and sort the leak, but i couldn't see where the leak was coming from so its one of those... they could say it has been fixed and I wouldn't be none the wiser, they said it was coming from the awning joint. I kind if agree about the trust thing, phoned up and he said they had just had it in (this was mid week), asked if it had damp and he said no.. sounded very honest etc, we drove down 2 hours to view yesterday and it has damp.. surely they would of known it was there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...