GaryB1969

Padstow Touring Park - visited 18-25 July 2020

Posted (edited)

We booked this site back in January (pre-COVID issues) and even back then there were only a handful of pitches left, you actually choose your pitch when booking so Google satellite view is useful for trying to determine where might be best.  The site was originally family owned and had it's own web site, BUT it has now been purchased by the Love-at group and the web site is now their own corporate one which really is a big push towards statics.  It was clear when we were there that (big!) statics and lodges are a focus of new developments on the site.  There are 80 touring pitches and I guess about 10% were occupied by tents, although it appeared to be nearly full when we booked, only about 75% of the pitches were in use by mid-week.  

It isn't cheap at £40 a night and while it doesn't say specifically, it does give an impression that each pitch has it's own water supply, it doesn't, it is a shared service point which feeds four pitches.  This point has 4 x 10 amp electric points and 1 x fresh water and 1 x waste water.  The issue with these is that the taps are both low down and close to the service point (see photo) so trying to get an Aquaroll under one and fill it without getting wet is a challenge.  A flexible filling pipe would help but (like a lot of others) I binned this a long time ago in favour of a rigid 38mm pipe, this cannot be used due to the close proximity and off-set nature of the tap so tipping the Aquaroll towards the tap was the only way to fill it (a flexible filling tube has been ordered and will be carried as a "just in case" item!).

The site is very clean, there are two toilet blocks which while we didn't use (we prefer to use the caravan) we did have a look and they were fine, both clean and recently done out, but I have to say that in the gents the number of toilet cubicles was only three which didn't seem many in peak times, there were five shower cubicles.  They obviously like to focus on the site looking nice and the various staff tended to the many flower beds every day.

Pitches are either hard standing or grass, we chose hard standing and while they are adequate they aren't massive, caravan and awning take up the full width with car in front.  They also aren't level and hence we had to use the Lock & Level.  Rock pegs were easy enough to hammer in.  Views from a lot of pitches are over the Camel Estuary and are nice.

There is a shop on site selling a few caravan/camping items and basic groceries, there is also a coffee lounge but this is closed due to COVID restrictions.  They also do caravan storage.  Staff were very friendly and helpful.  There's a bus stop outside the site.

The access road is single track but there is a good view ahead and one pull-in/passing place, check in time is strictly 12.00pm, they were turning people away at 11.45am.  The access road isn't in brilliant condition (it's shared with a farm) so care is needed, but we've been along worse.  Access in/out is barrier controlled but it uses number plate recognition so no key fobs or access codes to mess about with.

The site is on the outskirts of Padstow and advertises that you can walk into the town.  You can (we did a few times) but it is across fields so sensible shoes are needed and it would be muddy when wet.  It is claimed to take 20 minutes but that is obviously timed on reaching the edge of town, not the centre.  40 minutes to get into the centre is about right but it's a heck of a steep hill on the way back!  There's a Tesco en-route back to the site.  A taxi from site into town was £7.  They have various take away vans on site on different evenings of the week.

Would we go back?  Not sure, it was nice, don't get me wrong, but for the money we've had a fully serviced pitch before.

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0769.JPG

Edited by GaryB1969
Spelling

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Thanks. Good review 

• Like 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

A  good and honest review but did you not think to use the side fill hole on your Aquaroll where your rigid pipe would have gone in?

Frazer

Kia Sportage towing Lunar Ultima SE

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, frazerg said:

A  good and honest review but did you not think to use the side fill hole on your Aquaroll where your rigid pipe would have gone in?

Tried it but it was too long and bottomed out before it would go under the tap! Shortening it by just an inch would have enabled this but I didn’t have a saw on me so just managed and got wet a couple of times.

Edited by GaryB1969

I use two lengths. One 32mm and the other 38 or 40mm. One slides over the other. The smaller diameter has a chord yo fit over the tap and they are an interference fit making it a telescopic pipe. 

• Like 1

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

1 minute ago, Easy T said:

I use two lengths. One 32mm and the other 38 or 40mm. One slides over the other. The smaller diameter has a chord yo fit over the tap and they are an interference fit making it a telescopic pipe. 

Good idea. Mine has a Velcro strap on the top but making it telescopic would help.

That’s this weekends job sorted!

18 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

Good idea. Mine has a Velcro strap on the top but making it telescopic would help.

That’s this weekends job sorted!

I can't claim it was an original idea Gary but it has proved useful.

• Like 1

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Great review!

we have a week booked in late August & was under the impression it was serviced pitches too! 

looks like I can justify one of my lock down purchases though so that’ll please the wife! 😂

1B8E8B98-ABB6-4E67-8CCA-AE68118AEA5C.jpeg

• Like 1