Hi all, despite some repair work to the joint between the front wall and the floor a couple of years ago consisting of glue, screws and extreme determination, I sadly report that I believe this old 1990 abbey is beyond help now.

The problem I had before was the bottom apron part under the front lockers was flexing around and colliding with the a frame over bumps, I also had telltale cracking in the pictured areas inside the van, but just look at it now, i don't know of anything that is going to be able to repair this, especially given that in the last 2 photos, i can push the front wall outwards nearly an inch, and while nothing feels damp, it looks like moisture has been in at some point, almost certainly a basket case I think.

Any advice or wisdom anyone could share in order to make this any better, as we are due to go on holiday about an hour away on the 8th of August, and I have reservations on whether this is physically capable of making the journey in this condition.

Also, I have an alarming amount of deceased ladybirds in between the 2 panes of the poly plastic windows, are these splittable, I'm thinking some precision heating, a good clean and then rejoining with some clear epoxy or similar might work, but I don't want to attempt anything without knowing, but then again with the aforementioned problems this may well be academic now anyway.

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_20200726_115820_copy_2000x1500.jpg

IMG_20200726_115832_copy_2000x1500.jpg

IMG_20200726_115808_copy_2000x1500.jpg

IMG_20200726_115854_copy_2000x1500.jpg

IMG_20200726_115909_copy_2000x1500.jpg

IMG_20200726_115921_copy_2000x1500.jpg

I think that for the health and safety of all other road users, including yours........................bin it and bin it now.

No holiday, or holiday and possibly kill or maim others, the choice is yours.

However I can't imagine how  on earth you could remotely think that with something in this state, there might be the slightest chance it would be OK, looking at it, it was a potential death trap a couple of years ago. 😳😱😲

• I agree completely 1

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Posted (edited)

Very direct there Silversurf, not a bad thing, I quite like it, what I don't get is how it's deteriorated like this though, as it spends its life on hard standing and is shielded on both sides to a degree as there's a fence one side and the house on the other, the joint I mentioned underneath between the front wall and the floor that had some attention previously seems to be nice and solid still, so I'm trying to figure out what's actually gone to result in this current state.

I've also just noticed that my topic title has been changed, erm, ok. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by clarkey1984

Topic title changed - We are trying to keep topic titles so that now and in the future, members will be able to find and search for topics they may be interested in via Topic Titles. It also helps the forum get better exposure on search engines. Hope you don't mind.

Trying to figure rot out is OK but it doesn't change the condition of your van, which Silversurf is questioning whether it is safe to tow on a public road. I would agree with Silversurf that it is very questionable whether it is safe to tow. Sometimes you have to let go.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Oh absolutely agreed, I don't see how this can be rectified, I'm just considering any preventative measures I can potentially apply to another van when we get one, there's one at work in one of the new units, it was used by some tradesmen a couple of years ago when the units were built and they didn't want it afterwards, it's still a 4 berth and although considerably smaller than the current one, it's in pretty fantastic condition, I shall make some enquiries tomorrow.

In my opinion it would be better, armed with a damp meter, to search a cheap replacement and to put any effort into that.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Posted (edited)

It actually wasn't anything to do with that floor joint afterall, I've been on it this afternoon and it's the timber that sits below where that piece of wood has come away, which can be viewed from underneath if you stick your head in the front lockers and look upwards, it's just rotted away, so if I can remove those pieces and match the shape on new timber, which I think I can, then it might manage one more trip, I imagine that the rotted piece was bonded to the grp outer shell in some way, but as I'm not overly concerned about looks at this point in the caravans life, I'll just screw through the fibreglass and into the new stuff.

IMG_20200726_150436_copy_2000x1500.jpg

Edited by clarkey1984
4 minutes ago, clarkey1984 said:

It actually wasn't anything to do with that floor joint afterall, I've been on it this afternoon and it's the timber that sits below where that piece of wood has come away, which can be viewed from underneath if you stick your head in the front lockers and look upwards, it's just rotted away, so if I can remove those pieces and match the shape on new timber, which I think I can, then it might manage one more trip.

But how many times does that, " I'll just remove  and replace that 3' x 3' piece of damp wall board this afternoon." lead to, two weeks or more later " Every time I think I have got back to sound timber, I find more rot. "

It's never the rot you see that's the problem, it's the rot you can't see and discover along the way, not forgetting the wood that you can see which is rotten is, or has been, attached to timber in the same area so has also got a very good chance of being.............................rotten.

Good luck if you try, take photo's on the way and post them on CT, there are many folk with similar, though not as serious rot problems as yours, who it may help with a repair, or what hidden delights to expect.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

You need to ask yourself some questions.

1 - What's it worth (in money terms) as it is?

2 - How much would it cost to put it back to good again?

3 - How long will it be before you have to go in and do it, or similar, again?

4 - For how much could you buy a replacement that distances you from all this work and cost, and also brings you up to date with (at least many of) the latest equipment in more modern vans.

This is 30 years old!

Only  you can make that decision.

Posted (edited)

Oh the plan was always to retire it this year anyway, it's done us well for nearly 7 years, and we only paid £350 for it I think it was, I've probably sunk double that amount into it but it still breaks down to good value for money really, it's been our little home from home at the end of the drive during lockdown as well, I found that the worktop with the sink and hob covers down is exactly the right size to fit a DJ mixer and 2 turntables, it's been great.

Edited by clarkey1984
  • 3 weeks later...

She made it, we're now at our second location of our little break just outside king's Lynn, after visiting Hemsby first, all repairs have remained good, she appears to have stayed solid, although this will still be the last year for this van.

IMG_20200808_130911_copy_2000x1500_copy_1000x750.jpg