Hi 

New caravan owner. It was recommend to me that i need to put copper crease on the Towing ball and hitch . as this will help the moment turning.  can someone advise please

Thank you 

That only applies if the caravan doesn't have a frictional stabiliser integrated in the hitch, otherwise it's a definite no-no. In that case both the hitch and the towball must be absolutely clean and free from any contamination.

Edited by Lutz
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

If you have a stabilizer hitch as most caravans doo now then it need to be free from all grease and paint. If you have a non stabilizer hitch it needs to be greased. 

• Like 2

I in my mid 30's and caravan with my caravaning cat all year.  Honda CRV '65' Plate 1.6 Diesel towing Swift Corniche 15/2E 1995  Hyundai Santa Fe towing Adria Dart (with weight upgrade to 1800 kg)

If it’s a stabilisation hitch, as others said it needs to be lubricant free. Also it needs to be clean and rust free. 
it’s also a good idea to clean the ball and friction pads with brake cleaner, prior to hitching up

As others have said: -

Towball lubrication or not - small.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

With the age of your caravan being 2012 it will most likely have a stabiliser hitch so the tow ball should not have any grease put on it. If the tow ball has paint on it that should also be removed to leave shiny metal. A tow ball cover needs to be used so it does not rust when not towing.

• I agree completely 1

If it is one of the unstabilised ones that does need grease, do not use copper grease.

Copper grease is an anti seize compound designed to operate at extremes of temperature. Note, it is not a lubricant. It is often used to help prevent seizing and corrosion at high temperatures in the automotive industry.

Just use ordinary grease.

Thank you for your advise 

On 26/07/2020 at 22:23, Paul1957 said:

With the age of your caravan being 2012 it will most likely have a stabiliser hitch so the tow ball should not have any grease put on it. If the tow ball has paint on it that should also be removed to leave shiny metal. A tow ball cover needs to be used so it does not rust when not towing.

Thank you