Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello.

I, like many others had to cancel their holidays in Europe this year. I should have been going to Brittany in June for two weeks but the ferry crossing was cancelled and the site I'd booked, closed.

I've managed to book my holiday site for next June/July but what on Earth is going on with Brittany Ferries and The Camping and Caravanning Club with whom I'd booked my crossing this year? I've had a voucher code for my ferry crossing but every time I try to book it on the CCC site there are no sailings available. However, when I go directly to Brittany Ferries the sailings are available to book but obviously there is no CCC discount or facility to use the voucher. I've had absolutely no response, other than the automated one, from CCC. Has anyone got any more information on the current situation as I'm quite concerned that the crossing I need may be snapped up. Thank you.

2016 Coachman VIP 575/4: 2018 Kia Sorento GT Line S.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you phoned the CCC??  Their website is notorious for being difficult!

  • Like 1

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I spoke with BF only yesterday and asked if I had to use the CMC to use a credit note issued by them (CMC) 

 

The answer I was given was that any RCN issued by CMC has a value and a reference number on it.  You can use that number when booking directly with BF, to obtain the monetary value off your next booking, you do NOT have to go via CMC. You can also use more than one RCN at a time but you cannot use 2 RCN’s on a return booking, you have to make separate outward and return booking and use one RCN for each.

 

Andy

  • Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

Have you phoned the CCC??  Their website is notorious for being difficult!

You can only speak to  "UK  Sites" at the moment. Every thing else you iether do on the web site or whistle.

  • Like 1

Ern

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ern said:

You can only speak to  "UK  Sites" at the moment. Every thing else you iether do on the web site or whistle.

Thank you all for your replies.

I have tried phoning but after nearly half an hour to both CCC and BF, I gave up.

 

Just out of interest, what about member's discount? I thought you got a worthwhile discount from BF if you book through the CCC/CMC. I can't compare the prices online but if the price difference is negligible I'll book direct.

Thanks.

2016 Coachman VIP 575/4: 2018 Kia Sorento GT Line S.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On some BF (out of season sailings) caravans go for free!! Poole -Cherbourg being one and I think Portsmouth -Caen. I am a CV member with BF and it’s cheaper for me to book Poole - Cherbourg through the CMC than it is to use my Club Voyage discount, which is totally nuts! 

 

SCP1959 I have sent you a PM with some “information “ you might find useful ;)

 

It took over 40 minutes for me to get to speak with BF yesterday.

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Thanks 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/07/2020 at 15:49, SCP1959 said:

I'm quite concerned that the crossing I need may be snapped up. Thank you.

Hi, it must be frustrating but unless you have an unusually large outfit or want to sail on a school holidays weekend you will probably be OK.

 

On 25/07/2020 at 19:16, SCP1959 said:

I thought you got a worthwhile discount from BF if you book through the CCC/CMC. I can't compare the prices online but if the price difference is negligible I'll book direct.

I have just done a price check on the caravan club travel website for my likely dates, fingers crossed, for 2021.

 

Mr Plod and I have exchanged posts before on this and it is very dependent, as he says, on the route and time of travel.

 

Looking at a return Plymouth/Roscoff out in May back in June with cabins both ways booking a combined ferry/ site vouchers fare is £303 cheaper than direct with BF.

 

However, this includes the site vouchers making the ferry portion of the fare £390 cheaper than with BF.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allan Guest said:

Looking at a return Plymouth/Roscoff out in May back in June with cabins both ways booking a combined ferry/ site vouchers fare is £303 cheaper than direct with BF.

 

However, this includes the site vouchers making the ferry portion of the fare £390 cheaper than with BF.

 

I took my family and caravan to the West coast of France for 3 or 4 years running, about 20 years ago.  I'm now looking into a September trip for 2 and doing some research, if you can help.

 

What are the site vouchers and what is an RCN please?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s important to remember that on many, but not all, BF sailings (Out If season usually) IF you book via the CMC your caravan goes for free! Which will always make it much cheaper than booking direct.

 

I have a Club Voyage membership (pm me for details ;)) yet it’s still much cheaper for me to book a crossing via CMC because of the “Caravans go free” deal they offer.

 

BF offer a pretty comprehensive choice of routes. If you have a trust fund you want to spend have a look at their Portsmouth -St Malo route, it’s alway the most expensive by a long shot.

 

In addition, if you are over 60 (or maybe it’s 65) if you book a Newhaven -Dieppe crossing you get a 20% discount off the crossing, but you MUST book by telephone!! The ships are nothing special as they are primarily designed for freight carriage and some of the sailing times are odd, but they are cheap! 

 

Site vouchers are exactly that, vouchers you can use on various campsite.

 

RCN’s are Refund Credit Notes, they have been issued to those who’s crossings were/have been cancelled.

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, NobbyTucker said:

 

I took my family and caravan to the West coast of France for 3 or 4 years running, about 20 years ago.  I'm now looking into a September trip for 2 and doing some research, if you can help.

 

What are the site vouchers and what is an RCN please?

Hi Nobby,

As Andy has said the RCN are when you have a postponed trip.

The site vouchers are a way of reducing the cost of a combined ferry and vouchers, or sites, booking.

 

It is not unusual, as Tom Jones said, for people to feel, when you explain, that it sounds too good to be true but it really is an exception to the rule.

A ferry only booking via the caravan club will usually be a similar price to booking direct but a combined fare, formerly called an ITX, will on some routes at some times reduce the price considerably.

For many years now I have been saving hundreds of pounds on each trip but I am lucky that my preferred route from Plymouth, only a 35 mile trip for me, is one that attracts very good savings.

 

I have posted in the past that there are likely people who would not consider a Western crossing but if they did they may be surprised. From, say, Stevenage the mileage to St Gilles in the Vendee via Dover is more than via Plymouth and there are also the tolls to consider.

On the other hand some would not consider such a long crossing or even a ferry so Dover or the tunnel may be better for them.

 

If you are a caravan club member you can spend time looking at the travel service site but if not let me have some details of your proposes crossing and I can look at prices for you-that's assuming that the somewhat erratic system is playing ball when I try!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The CCC site suddenly came to life with 2021 ferry crossings. I booked my crossing but was unable to apply my cancellation voucher at that point. A quick email to CCC customer services and I got an amended booking the following day with the cancellation voucher applied. Happy days. Just have to wait twelve months now though to get my French fix.

 

Back in the day when I was younger and trailer tenting with three kids in France, (Dordogne, Vendee, Brittany and Normandy), I used to take the shortest, cheapest crossing option because money was tight. However, after doing it for a few years I decided it was definitely preferable to bite the bullet and pay more for the longer ferry and have a shorter drive on the other side. As a professional driver and driver trainer, long distances never phased me.

However, what did it for me was when I allowed thirteen hours to have a relaxed journey, with plenty of comfort breaks, from Bretignole Sur Mer in the Vendee back up to Calais. A long but straightforward journey of about 430 miles.

A journey which should have taken about seven hours non-stop. Unfortunately, it proved to be an utter nightmare, even with the five hour margin and just two hurried comfort breaks we missed the ferry by an hour due to the weather and traffic hold-ups. At one point with 160 miles to go I pushed up to 80mph to try to make up time. Even then I was passed by a Brit in a Land Rover towing a twin axle caravan!) Suddenly, realisation dawned on me that I had to maintain 80mph for two hours just to arrive at Calais. So, I'd missed the ferry. I reduced my speed to the legal limit. I was resigned to the fact that I was probably going to have to find a motel to stay in and then pay again for a ferry to Dover.

On arrival at the ferry port I explained what had happened to the official in the ticket booth, fully expecting to be turned away. To my eternal relief he told me to join the queue for the next ferry. I was first on and so first off. However, I don't recommend this strategy to get ahead of the queue.

Now I'm older and wiser. If it's a morning crossing, I travel to the ferry port the night before and sleep in the caravan and board the ferry the following morning.  If it's an overnight crossing, I book a cabin. Then, fully refreshed I have a leisurely journey to my destination on the magnificient French roads including toll roads with their superb services.

A bit of a war story but hey ho :D

2016 Coachman VIP 575/4: 2018 Kia Sorento GT Line S.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

SCP1959, It's a long way ahead to be booking a ferry now for next June. I hope you chose flexible tickets in case something crops up which causes you to change the dates. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, moorgate said:

SCP1959, It's a long way ahead to be booking a ferry now for next June. I hope you chose flexible tickets in case something crops up which causes you to change the dates. 

I've  booked my Summer holidays many months in advance for probably the last twenty years. This is the first year that there's been any problem due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

2016 Coachman VIP 575/4: 2018 Kia Sorento GT Line S.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Hi there, did anyone have a coffee for Brittany ferries valid until 3rd march 2021 please?

Many thanks.

Hi there, did anyone have a code for Brittany ferries valid until 3rd march 2021 please?

Many thanks.

 

Sorry previous post asked for a coffee!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JSWSD said:

Hi there, did anyone have a coffee for Brittany ferries valid until 3rd march 2021 please?

Many thanks.

Hi there, did anyone have a code for Brittany ferries valid until 3rd march 2021 please?

Many thanks.

 

Sorry previous post asked for a coffee!!!

Hi, I have no idea of your plans but assume you are aware of all the changes to BF crossings that kick in this weekend and run through to next March??

Also, as mentioned above, depending on route you may find it worth looking at the caravan club website to get an idea of the savings that can be made-you don't need to be a member to check, only to book. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your reply. No I am not aware......was looking to travel to Spain at the end of November / beginning December. 

Coming back end of February / beginning of march.

What's changed with Brittany ferries?

Link to post
Share on other sites

No routes to Bilbao Spain from next week only to Santander because Ponta ven is coming out of service and Cap Finestier will take over.

Our trip was cancelled Tuesday for yesterday sailing,bad weather blamed!but I have suspicions it may have been due to so many people switching on Mon.Tue!over to Santander,

due to the travel restrictions tightening in N/E Spain.

 We have full refund ,   we booked direct,always do .

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes me chuckle reading so many posts from members of this group who are going through all sorts of contortions to try to 'rescue'  (or book) their winter stay or 2021 summer holiday on the other side of the channel.  The fact of the matter is that no-one knows with any degree of certainty what will be possible because of the shifting nature of the pandemic. If you ask me to hazard a guess, I'd say May/June next year is the earliest that the spread will recede sufficiently to allow significant relaxation of the various restrictions across Europe.  I too was hoping to get to France next May/June but it's looking increasingly as though it'll be another staycation year.  I'll be 74 then and understandably reluctant to risk my health on a trip that would inevitably be affected by others' unwillingness to observe social  distance rules.  I'd rather stay here and avoid the stress. 

  • Like 2

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would rather have a life and live!   If you are very sensible, obey every single rule, you can have a life and not spread this damn virus!stay home,or isolate if you get even a sniffle.

 I will not be one of the millions of old people shut away for another six or more months, and will not join the millions of them who are going to suffer mental illness and depression to say the least. 

 

  • Like 1
  • I do not understand 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JSWSD said:

Thanks for your reply. No I am not aware......was looking to travel to Spain at the end of November / beginning December. 

Coming back end of February / beginning of march.

What's changed with Brittany ferries?

 

You ask What's changed with Brittany Ferries?

 

9 of their 12 vessels will be laid up over the winter. A single ship will be sailing to France, one to Spain, and one serving the Irish routes. They will mostly be carrying freight as very few people are travelling.  Eight of the ports they normally use will have no service at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this website for the first time while I was looking up information that appeared on our local Look North BBC station . The item was about alternative ferry routes to Spain from Hull & Immingham , I naively wondered if it might be for passengers but it’s probably just for freight , I couldn’t find anything online but this link might be useful for anyone like me who has never used it ,

 

https://www.aferry.co.uk/ferry-to-spain-ferries-uk.htm

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JSWSD said:

Thanks for your reply. No I am not aware......was looking to travel to Spain at the end of November / beginning December. 

Coming back end of February / beginning of march.

What's changed with Brittany ferries?

Hi, Moorgate has summed it up but still worth looking at the BF website-they have seemed to be quite good at keeping it updated.

If I was planning travelling at the time you mention i think I would definitely have a plan B........and C & D as well!

1 hour ago, MalH said:

I'd rather stay here and avoid the stress. 

Hi Mal, Your post echoes many that I have seen and we also decided that a trip abroad at the moment would be too much hassle/stress.

However,  suggesting that staying in the UK is a way of avoiding Covid may be stretching it and for us a trip next year will be going ahead so long as the FCDO advice is not against it and our travel insurance, not Covid just the usual, is still available.

52 minutes ago, stevew1 said:

Saw this website for the first time while I was looking up information that appeared on our local Look North BBC station . The item was about alternative ferry routes to Spain from Hull & Immingham , I naively wondered if it might be for passengers but it’s probably just for freight , I couldn’t find anything online but this link might be useful for anyone like me who has never used it ,

 

https://www.aferry.co.uk/ferry-to-spain-ferries-uk.htm

Hi Steve, being in Cornwall we have no interest in routes from Hull but I do often see the prices referred to as "eye wateringly expensive" so can only guess how much it would be on this suggested new route all the way to Spain!!

Edited by Allan Guest
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pheasant said:

I would rather have a life and live!   If you are very sensible, obey every single rule, you can have a life and not spread this damn virus!stay home,or isolate if you get even a sniffle.

 I will not be one of the millions of old people shut away for another six or more months, and will not join the millions of them who are going to suffer mental illness and depression to say the least. 

 

My thoughts exactly. I deeply regret being put off traveling a few months ago when the FCO were "advising against" countries with 20 cases per 100,000 and thus nullifying the insurance we had. What a farce now that our entire country has rates way in excess of that.

Short of disaster in April we are going to use our already booked and paid for crossing carried over  from this year and if at all possible fit in a second trip  in the Autumn.and if it means travel without insurance so be it.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, David in Cheshire said:

My thoughts exactly. I deeply regret being put off traveling a few months ago when the FCO were "advising against" countries with 20 cases per 100,000 and thus nullifying the insurance we had. What a farce now that our entire country has rates way in excess of that.

Short of disaster in April we are going to use our already booked and paid for crossing carried over  from this year and if at all possible fit in a second trip  in the Autumn.and if it means travel without insurance so be it.

Hi David,        A   I tip i learnt this week,you can get travel insurance,covid excluded , even if the destination is FCODO advised against,not banned,it costs a little more but not much.

if you take it out inside the fourteen day cooling off period, you can cancel for a full refund,it’s true,this very week as the new restrictions mounted up on mon!tue! Then the ferry was cancelled Tuesday morning,I rang insurance,full refund because i was four hours inside the fourteen day period,  My maximum stay was 104 days,  if we were younger,under 65, could have had covid cover as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pheasant said:

A   I tip i learnt this week,you can get travel insurance,covid excluded , even if the destination is FCODO advised against,not banned,it costs a little more but not much.

if you take it out inside the fourteen day cooling off period, you can cancel for a full refund,it’s true,this very week as the new restrictions mounted up on mon!tue! Then the ferry was cancelled Tuesday morning,I rang insurance,full refund because i was four hours inside the fourteen day period,  My maximum stay was 104 days,  if we were younger,under 65, could have had covid cover as well.

Hi Pheasant,

Could you confirm your chosen Insurer to assist ?

M

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...