SCP1959

Brittany Ferries 2021

Hello.

I, like many others had to cancel their holidays in Europe this year. I should have been going to Brittany in June for two weeks but the ferry crossing was cancelled and the site I'd booked, closed.

I've managed to book my holiday site for next June/July but what on Earth is going on with Brittany Ferries and The Camping and Caravanning Club with whom I'd booked my crossing this year? I've had a voucher code for my ferry crossing but every time I try to book it on the CCC site there are no sailings available. However, when I go directly to Brittany Ferries the sailings are available to book but obviously there is no CCC discount or facility to use the voucher. I've had absolutely no response, other than the automated one, from CCC. Has anyone got any more information on the current situation as I'm quite concerned that the crossing I need may be snapped up. Thank you.

2016 Coachman VIP 575/4: 2018 Kia Sorento GT Line S.

Have you phoned the CCC??  Their website is notorious for being difficult!

• Like 1

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

I spoke with BF only yesterday and asked if I had to use the CMC to use a credit note issued by them (CMC) 

The answer I was given was that any RCN issued by CMC has a value and a reference number on it.  You can use that number when booking directly with BF, to obtain the monetary value off your next booking, you do NOT have to go via CMC. You can also use more than one RCN at a time but you cannot use 2 RCN’s on a return booking, you have to make separate outward and return booking and use one RCN for each.

Andy

• Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

13 minutes ago, ivan leslie said:

Have you phoned the CCC??  Their website is notorious for being difficult!

You can only speak to  "UK  Sites" at the moment. Every thing else you iether do on the web site or whistle.

• Like 1

Ern

1 hour ago, Ern said:

You can only speak to  "UK  Sites" at the moment. Every thing else you iether do on the web site or whistle.

Thank you all for your replies.

I have tried phoning but after nearly half an hour to both CCC and BF, I gave up.

Just out of interest, what about member's discount? I thought you got a worthwhile discount from BF if you book through the CCC/CMC. I can't compare the prices online but if the price difference is negligible I'll book direct.

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

On some BF (out of season sailings) caravans go for free!! Poole -Cherbourg being one and I think Portsmouth -Caen. I am a CV member with BF and it’s cheaper for me to book Poole - Cherbourg through the CMC than it is to use my Club Voyage discount, which is totally nuts! 

SCP1959 I have sent you a PM with some “information “ you might find useful ;)

It took over 40 minutes for me to get to speak with BF yesterday.

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Thanks 1

On 25/07/2020 at 15:49, SCP1959 said:

I'm quite concerned that the crossing I need may be snapped up. Thank you.

Hi, it must be frustrating but unless you have an unusually large outfit or want to sail on a school holidays weekend you will probably be OK.

On 25/07/2020 at 19:16, SCP1959 said:

I thought you got a worthwhile discount from BF if you book through the CCC/CMC. I can't compare the prices online but if the price difference is negligible I'll book direct.

I have just done a price check on the caravan club travel website for my likely dates, fingers crossed, for 2021.

Mr Plod and I have exchanged posts before on this and it is very dependent, as he says, on the route and time of travel.

Looking at a return Plymouth/Roscoff out in May back in June with cabins both ways booking a combined ferry/ site vouchers fare is £303 cheaper than direct with BF.

However, this includes the site vouchers making the ferry portion of the fare £390 cheaper than with BF.

1 hour ago, Allan Guest said:

Looking at a return Plymouth/Roscoff out in May back in June with cabins both ways booking a combined ferry/ site vouchers fare is £303 cheaper than direct with BF.

However, this includes the site vouchers making the ferry portion of the fare £390 cheaper than with BF.

I took my family and caravan to the West coast of France for 3 or 4 years running, about 20 years ago.  I'm now looking into a September trip for 2 and doing some research, if you can help.

What are the site vouchers and what is an RCN please?

It’s important to remember that on many, but not all, BF sailings (Out If season usually) IF you book via the CMC your caravan goes for free! Which will always make it much cheaper than booking direct.

I have a Club Voyage membership (pm me for details ;)) yet it’s still much cheaper for me to book a crossing via CMC because of the “Caravans go free” deal they offer.

BF offer a pretty comprehensive choice of routes. If you have a trust fund you want to spend have a look at their Portsmouth -St Malo route, it’s alway the most expensive by a long shot.

In addition, if you are over 60 (or maybe it’s 65) if you book a Newhaven -Dieppe crossing you get a 20% discount off the crossing, but you MUST book by telephone!! The ships are nothing special as they are primarily designed for freight carriage and some of the sailing times are odd, but they are cheap! 

Site vouchers are exactly that, vouchers you can use on various campsite.

RCN’s are Refund Credit Notes, they have been issued to those who’s crossings were/have been cancelled.

27 minutes ago, NobbyTucker said:

I took my family and caravan to the West coast of France for 3 or 4 years running, about 20 years ago.  I'm now looking into a September trip for 2 and doing some research, if you can help.

What are the site vouchers and what is an RCN please?

Hi Nobby,

As Andy has said the RCN are when you have a postponed trip.

The site vouchers are a way of reducing the cost of a combined ferry and vouchers, or sites, booking.

It is not unusual, as Tom Jones said, for people to feel, when you explain, that it sounds too good to be true but it really is an exception to the rule.

A ferry only booking via the caravan club will usually be a similar price to booking direct but a combined fare, formerly called an ITX, will on some routes at some times reduce the price considerably.

For many years now I have been saving hundreds of pounds on each trip but I am lucky that my preferred route from Plymouth, only a 35 mile trip for me, is one that attracts very good savings.

I have posted in the past that there are likely people who would not consider a Western crossing but if they did they may be surprised. From, say, Stevenage the mileage to St Gilles in the Vendee via Dover is more than via Plymouth and there are also the tolls to consider.

On the other hand some would not consider such a long crossing or even a ferry so Dover or the tunnel may be better for them.

If you are a caravan club member you can spend time looking at the travel service site but if not let me have some details of your proposes crossing and I can look at prices for you-that's assuming that the somewhat erratic system is playing ball when I try!

The CCC site suddenly came to life with 2021 ferry crossings. I booked my crossing but was unable to apply my cancellation voucher at that point. A quick email to CCC customer services and I got an amended booking the following day with the cancellation voucher applied. Happy days. Just have to wait twelve months now though to get my French fix.

Back in the day when I was younger and trailer tenting with three kids in France, (Dordogne, Vendee, Brittany and Normandy), I used to take the shortest, cheapest crossing option because money was tight. However, after doing it for a few years I decided it was definitely preferable to bite the bullet and pay more for the longer ferry and have a shorter drive on the other side. As a professional driver and driver trainer, long distances never phased me.

However, what did it for me was when I allowed thirteen hours to have a relaxed journey, with plenty of comfort breaks, from Bretignole Sur Mer in the Vendee back up to Calais. A long but straightforward journey of about 430 miles.

A journey which should have taken about seven hours non-stop. Unfortunately, it proved to be an utter nightmare, even with the five hour margin and just two hurried comfort breaks we missed the ferry by an hour due to the weather and traffic hold-ups. At one point with 160 miles to go I pushed up to 80mph to try to make up time. Even then I was passed by a Brit in a Land Rover towing a twin axle caravan!) Suddenly, realisation dawned on me that I had to maintain 80mph for two hours just to arrive at Calais. So, I'd missed the ferry. I reduced my speed to the legal limit. I was resigned to the fact that I was probably going to have to find a motel to stay in and then pay again for a ferry to Dover.

On arrival at the ferry port I explained what had happened to the official in the ticket booth, fully expecting to be turned away. To my eternal relief he told me to join the queue for the next ferry. I was first on and so first off. However, I don't recommend this strategy to get ahead of the queue.

Now I'm older and wiser. If it's a morning crossing, I travel to the ferry port the night before and sleep in the caravan and board the ferry the following morning.  If it's an overnight crossing, I book a cabin. Then, fully refreshed I have a leisurely journey to my destination on the magnificient French roads including toll roads with their superb services.

A bit of a war story but hey ho :D

SCP1959, It's a long way ahead to be booking a ferry now for next June. I hope you chose flexible tickets in case something crops up which causes you to change the dates. 

7 hours ago, moorgate said:

SCP1959, It's a long way ahead to be booking a ferry now for next June. I hope you chose flexible tickets in case something crops up which causes you to change the dates. 

I've  booked my Summer holidays many months in advance for probably the last twenty years. This is the first year that there's been any problem due to the Coronavirus pandemic.