Ern

VAT reduction period.

Posted (edited)

It is well known that the UK has a 6 month period of reduced VAT for certain parts of the leisure industry and the start of the 6 month period is July 15th.

It appears both CMC and CCC has decided to apply the reduction to BOOKINGS made after that date, but not bookings made before it.

For us that means we do not get the reduced VAT on a couple of weeks booked in April with both clubs for later in the year. As both our bookings are for busy sites at busy times, we are unable to change the bookings by cancelling and rebooking - oh well! You lose some and you win some.

Now that we know the clubs have decided to apply the reduction to booking dates, we can book right up to January 2021 for holidays at the reduced VAT rate. Could be quite a saving! 

I think a few people will be arriving on sites expecting to get the reduction when they pay the ballance, and will be disapointed.

Edited by Ern

Ern

I'll be at Oxon Hall in Shrewsbury on Sunday.  They've just sent me an email to say they've reduced their fees, so a £28.00 per night is now £24.00 (not added on the pence).  Not said whether that will apply to me, but probably not as I booked originally to go in March, and got cancelled, and when they opened back at beginning of July, I rebooked it.

I think this is how it works. If you paid your money before July 15th , your VAT stands at 20%, but if you paid your money after July 15th you MAY  get some or all of the 15% VAT reduction. The companies do not have to give you any of the VAT, they can keep it to help  their business. I was on holiday last week at a CMC site  . On the 13th I paid for 2 nights at  20 % VAT and I , along with the other people there, had to go back to the office on the Wednesday to pay the rest  at 12.5 % VAT , So the club kept 2.5% which we thought was very fair of them. 

4 minutes ago, joanie said:

I think this is how it works. If you paid your money before July 15th , your VAT stands at 20%, but if you paid your money after July 15th you MAY  get some or all of the 15% VAT reduction. The companies do not have to give you any of the VAT, they can keep it to help  their business. I was on holiday last week at a CMC site  . On the 13th I paid for 2 nights at  20 % VAT and I , along with the other people there, had to go back to the office on the Wednesday to pay the rest  at 12.5 % VAT , So the club kept 2.5% which we thought was very fair of them. 

Its not as simple as that. We booked a CCC site in April and paid a deposit. We will pay the ballance when we check in. They will not reduce the VAT. We booked a CMC site in April and paid no deposit, We will pay the whole amount when we check in. They will not reduce the VAT.

Ern

1 minute ago, Ern said:

Its not as simple as that. We booked a CCC site in April and paid a deposit. We will pay the balance when we check in. They will not reduce the VAT. We booked a CMC site in April and paid no deposit, We will pay the whole amount when we check in. They will not reduce the VAT.

I don't know about the CCC,   but are you sure about the CMC where no money has changed hands yet. I booked the CMC site before the VAT announcement and I had to pay for 2 nights on the 13th  at 20%  VAT and go back on the 15th to pay the rest at 12,5 %  VAT  . It does say on their website that although they haven't changes the prices on the web site the reduced prices will be applied when you pay.  The reduction doesn't apply to seasonal or storage pitches as they have already paid the 20%, 

VAT is due when the payment is made. Can't understand the clubs are trying to use the booking date unless payment in full is made when booking but they no doubt have more expensive lawyers than I do!

Posted (edited)

From CMC FAQ

Will you be reducing VAT on bookings?

VAT will now be charged on our camping pitches at the new 5% rate. The reduction on all published pitch prices will be applied to the majority of bookings when you arrive and pay for your stay on site. If you have already paid and want to request a refund please email vatrefunds@CMC.com and include details of your booking.

Edited by Ian McH

1 hour ago, joanie said:

I don't know about the CCC,   but are you sure about the CMC where no money has changed hands yet. I booked the CMC site before the VAT announcement and I had to pay for 2 nights on the 13th  at 20%  VAT and go back on the 15th to pay the rest at 12,5 %  VAT  . It does say on their website that although they haven't changes the prices on the web site the reduced prices will be applied when you pay.  The reduction doesn't apply to seasonal or storage pitches as they have already paid the 20%, 

I have just had things explained to me, you will pay 5%  VAT which works out as a 12.5% reduction when on CMC sites

2 hours ago, joanie said:

I've just had it explained to me that 15% works out as a 12.5% reduction, therefore the club did not keep 2.5%

• Like 1

We've just returned from a few nights at Kessingland.  Booked on line on the 7th July, arrived on the 18th and paid the reduced VAT.  The VAT reduction on the receipt is described as a 'discount amount'.

2017 Lunar Solaris 462, Mercedes B200 Exec CDI Auto

Ok. It seems most people on this forum believe the reduction applies to arrival date. I am pleased witth and agree to that. We will save £21.88 when we visit Chatsworth in October. Thanks all for your views on this.

The C&CC have told me today (2 seperate phone calls got the same answer) that the reduction applies only to sites booked after 15th July. I questioned the fact that although I paid a deposit when I booked in April, they wont get and process the ballance until December. Using their logic (that the deposit payment is the point of sale) I can book sites up until January2021 for the following year at the lower VAT rate!  I will write to C&CC and ask for a concise answer. 

Ern

I booked CMC in April and arrived on Thursday 16 July and got the new VAT rate 😁

• Like 1

Reading the Camping and Caravanning Club web site today, their statement about VAT reduction is quite clear, but I am not sure if its been tweaked since yesterday.

"Q. Will you be reducing VAT on bookings?"

"A. The UK Government have now issued their full guidelines on the cut in the VAT rate from the standard rate of 20% to 5% - we’re delighted that it does include touring pitches. The Government has made it clear it’s up to the individual business to decide whether this saving is passed on to customers; and whilst we have lost a significant amount of revenue during this period, as a membership organisation we feel it’s important that we pass this discount on to our members where we are able to. We’re happy to say the Club has lowered its prices and will be applying the 5% VAT rate for stays booked and taken during the period 15 July 2020 to 12 January 2021". 

Booked and Taken during the perios 15 July to 12 January 2021. Means if it was booked before the period or if booked in the period but not taken in the period, the reduction will not be made. 

• Like 1

Ern

We are on a CMC site at the moment,booked it last year.

VAT reduction given on booking in,£40 saved.

Ian