Hi all, looking for some information. Just bout my first van and the fridge doesn’t work , spoke to a van centre that reckoned it it would cost a couple of hundred to fix and I would be better off getting an electric cool box. Been looking at mini fridges though. Does anyone know of any that I could put in place of the original Electrolux rm 4230? I can box it in to the original space but is there any quiet fridges available that anyone knows of or has done to their caravan? 
thanks

stuart

I advise you to not take one estimate especially if the van centre has not even done a diagnostic to see what is wrong.

Get a second opinion preferably from a caravan engineer. Who knows - it might be something simple to fix.

did the van centre even look at it? get a local mobile engineer out to have a look at it and if it's really shot maybe they could advise you as to your next step

Does it work on gas? (Assuming it’s the electric part that isn’t working?) or is it not working on either? Don’t expect it to work on 12v UNLESS connected to your towing vehicle and the engine has been running for some considerable time.

A few more specific details would assist in us being able to assist you.

Cool boxes are NOT fridges! A cool box will just about be able to (eventually) cool the contents down to about 12-14° below the ambient external temperature, so if it’s 25° outside you will be lucky to see anything lower than 10-12° inside and a fridge should run at 5° Cool boxes are much cheaper than portable fridges for a reason!! 

• Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

9 minutes ago, joanie said:

did the van centre even look at it? get a local mobile engineer out to have a look at it and if it's really shot maybe they could advise you as to your next step

Great minds think alike Joan :D

• Haha 1

Try running the fridge on gas if it works ok  check out the heater element. Sometimes removing the fridge and inverting it can solve a gas circulation problem with the fridge

Sandy

Thanks everyone for the reply’s. it’s getting power to it and through the switch. It’s getting a gas supply to it but it won’t ignite (getting spark) have disconnected at the fridge to check supply. I’ve taken it out and the burner looks excessively corroded so think that’s the prob with that, will need to replace or clean it up and try again. When on electric 240v it’s on and can hear it working, the rear fins heat up as expected but the other pipes don’t cool and actually feels like inside it heats up. Thanks again everyone 

Hi sandy I have also tried the take out and upside down for 24 hours that didn’t work either. It is a 20year old fridge though 

The fridges used in vans are not complicated and there's not much to go wrong.

You should be able to get it going again for not much money and/or effort.

20yrs is not very old, remember that, unlike your fridge at home, it is not in use for very long in total.

• I agree completely 1

You have proved that the electric element works and the igniter works. The gas jet is probably just blocked, but the worrying thing is failure to work on electric even with the element working.

You can try inverting the whole thing for a a few hours, this sometimes works but if that fails I'm afraid it's had its day.

Yeah I tried inverting it and shaking it for 24 hours but it was just the same. Is there any way of checking the ammonia inside it or replacing it? 

On a 20 year old fridge there is no way of regasing them.

If when you turned the fridge upside down, did you hear any liquid in the pipes?

There is no need to leave it 24 hours , just a few minutes is enough.

If the burner is badly corroded then replacement is the only option, along with the gas jet.

What I fully expect to have happened is the pipes have rusted through and the coolant has been lost,or the pipes have rusted so badly inside that the matrix is blocked,  in which case it is a new fridge.

There are a lot of possible alternatives, but anything with a compressor will be noisy, especially noticeable at night.

You could try sourcing a second hand fridge from a breakers, but that has risks attached to it.

Edited by Brecon
19 hours ago, Stubeat said:

Thanks everyone for the reply’s. it’s getting power to it and through the switch. It’s getting a gas supply to it but it won’t ignite (getting spark) have disconnected at the fridge to check supply. I’ve taken it out and the burner looks excessively corroded so think that’s the prob with that, will need to replace or clean it up and try again. When on electric 240v it’s on and can hear it working, the rear fins heat up as expected but the other pipes don’t cool and actually feels like inside it heats up. Thanks again everyone 

Hi sandy I have also tried the take out and upside down for 24 hours that didn’t work either. It is a 20year old fridge though 

".....can hear it working,...."

This type of fridges are silent, there are no moving parts.

49 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

".....can hear it working,...."

This type of fridges are silent, there are no moving parts.

You can still hear the coolant boiling through the pipes as it is heated by the gas flame or electric element.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

I can hear the fluid moving around when it’s on and the fins heat up as if it’s trying to cool. The fluid did move when I turned it upside down also. Think it could just be limited movement through the pipes though due to rust inside like you mentioned. I’ve bought a table top fridge for now so when have something but will just have to put up with the noise till I get the rusty old one properly looked at. Thanks to everyone for the advise though 👍