aqua0part2

Possibly a dumb question! Levelling

Hi all,

possibly a dumb question, but if you need to level the van using a leveller, how do you then go about fitting the alko wheel lock unless you set the levelling ramp absolutely perfect before you drive or reverse up it?

l’d figured on getting it levelled and then jacking it up to spin the wheel into position for locking, but that seems a bit of a faff and I’m sure there must be an easier way -hence my post. 

Thanks in advance. 

Good morning, first of all there is no such thing and a dumb question.

What a lot of caravanners use are one of THESE. Hope that helps. :)

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

It's not dumb question I've recently got myself an alko lock after years of caravanning and was thinking the same. It's fine on level ground just moving the van back and too but having to use ramps. I was thinking of getting a second lock in the event I couldn't fit the alko lock......I'm not starting all that jacking up business. 

Hi, we use these instead and are simple to fit. nemesis

• I agree completely 2

We ditched the AlKo locks and use a pair of SAS clamps. Recently had them beadblasted and powder coated to tidy them up a bit (one was silver and one was red). Like an AlKo lozenge, Wraith or Nemesis any thief would have them off in a few seconds but the insurers are happy with them.

Tip, rather than levelling ramps use some lengths of decking to run the wheel up on. 3 pieces should do each one a little shorter than the next to form a small step. Easier to inch it along to line up the lock.

• Like 1

2020 SsangYong Musso Rebel Auto towing 2016 Swift Conqueror 645.  

If I can’t get ramp / lock alignment, I don’t bother. As I have the awning up, I feel it’s as good a deterrent against van theft as the lock is

• I agree completely 1

Another vote for the Nemesis lock. Mine's on the offside so it doesn't interfere with the awning skirt.

Lives near Cheltenham, drives a Jaguar XF-S Sportbrake (2018) towing a Coachman VIP575 (2018).

Simplest method is to make and use a range of packing boards or pieces.

Find out what height of packer is required, move the caravan to the position where the Alko aligns, place the packer along side of the tyre, move the caravan until the board can be slid into position then back on again and fit the Alko.

As suggested, some of us use Lock n Level in a similar manner, I do on a twin axle but that's another and expensive option to twin axle levelling and Alko fitment, bit cheaper on a single.

I also use my packers on the offside when necessary along with a range of other packing blocks which I knocked up and come in useful at times.

20200723_090030.thumb.png.c4a43b53695defb8280fb886074c214f.png

• I agree completely 1

Stay safe, Griff. :ph34r:

Another vote for the Nemesis Ultra (we have a TA caravan).

Even on our SA the Al-K0 were a a pain to fit if you needed to level it, and not that easy if you didn't!

The nemesis are fitted in a few seconds so you WILL use them.

BH

Another happy Nemesis user

• I agree completely 1

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

6 hours ago, aqua0part2 said:

Hi all,

possibly a dumb question, but if you need to level the van using a leveller, how do you then go about fitting the alko wheel lock unless you set the levelling ramp absolutely perfect before you drive or reverse up it?

l’d figured on getting it levelled and then jacking it up to spin the wheel into position for locking, but that seems a bit of a faff and I’m sure there must be an easier way -hence my post. 

Thanks in advance. 

We have a  Alko wheel lock and carry a pair of plastic ramps.

1. Get the caravan level using a ramp.

2. Shove the other ramp on top of the first by pushing the thin end under the tyre.

3. Gently move the caravan along the leveller until the lock lines up.

We have a motor mover as most do, and this is easy peasy.

Some people use a couple of lengths of scafold plank but we carry the plastic wedge shaped ramps.

Ern

1 hour ago, Ern said:

We have a  Alko wheel lock and carry a pair of plastic ramps.

1. Get the caravan level using a ramp.

2. Shove the other ramp on top of the first by pushing the thin end under the tyre.

3. Gently move the caravan along the leveller until the lock lines up.

We have a motor mover as most do, and this is easy peasy.

Some people use a couple of lengths of scafold plank but we carry the plastic wedge shaped ramps.

QED for the Nemesis Ultra... :)

1. Level caravan if required

2. Fit Nemesis locks

BH

Some caravanners go to the effort of making up a ramp similar to this …

FD68A317-310E-4063-8FB4-97AE88B0B604.thumb.jpeg.126cb7ae44f942bf7dde64bb0e924fa5.jpeg

… although this one seems to be permanently fixed together, and it’s better to have the pieces separate to allow for all variations.

Personally. as we mostly use hard standing on CCC or CMC club sites, on the rare occasion it’s needed I just use one plastic ramp, or simply scuff away some of the gravel to drop the other wheel.

Like LITW above, if it doesn’t line up I don’t bother with the lock, as the awning hides that wheel, and I’ve never heard of a fully set-up caravan being removed from that sort of site.

Anyway, I’ve got a sticker on the offside window which says “Alko Secure Lock Fitted” - so that should sort it 😁.

John

After six years  full time in the 'van, on about 80 different sites I've never bothered with wheel locks. If only stopping for one night, the 'van will be occupied and if staying longer, the awning goes up.

Posted (edited)

Nemesis for me too. Partly because having been on site next to an alko user who couldn't get them off it rather put them off the Alkos and mainly because they don't make a lozenge for our special edition alloys so they are not an option anyway. But the nemesis is so much easier to use. 

Plus you can carry the nemesis on to your next van without having to buy expensive new lozenges

Edited by PMW

1 hour ago, PMW said:

.........Partly because having been on site next to an alko user who couldn't get them off.......

I can understand that.

Sometimes after fitting, our caravan has rolled slightly putting pressure on one side such that the removal spanner is very hard to turn and forcing the locking screw out could damage the first thread as it almost snaps off.

Solution in our case is careful adjustment with our mover until freed up,

Trying to do it with the car would be very hit and miss and at 2 tonnes in my case no chance of manually adjusting it.

I have heard of folk who have damaged this first thread and needed the receiver re-tapping before the screw would start again.

• Like 1

Stay safe, Griff. :ph34r:

The engineer that came to look at this one said he thought the wheel had been turned slightly, though the owner of the van swore vehemently that it hadn't. We arrived after them so i couldn't say either way.

I'm not sure what puts me off the most, the fact that all attempts to remove them properly failed, or the fact that it took the chap fifteen seconds to break them off. 

Nemesis gets many votes but which insurance companies will accept it?

is it really that simple for a midnight shopper to remove an alko wheel lock? I'm not filled with much confidence after reading the comments!

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, aqua0part2 said:

is it really that simple for a midnight shopper to remove an alko wheel lock? I'm not filled with much confidence after reading the comments!

remember this was an engineer that knew what he was doing. But, if he knew what he was doing you can bet various nefarious persons might also know. He did make a heck of a noise doing it, so the manufacturer will probably tell you that the device did it's job in that respect. 

I always take the claim of manufacturers about break in times with a pinch of salt. I think Nemesis claim their lock will withstand a two minute attack, but by whom? It would probably withstand an hours attack by me, but what about someone skilled in defeating these devices.

At best they are an invitation to a thief to move on to an easier target. 

Edited by PMW

Im not sure but I think the OP asked for advice on using an Alko wheel lock. 

I got the impression that they have one and want to use it. Could be wrong.

Ern

2 minutes ago, Ern said:

Im not sure but I think the OP asked for advice on using an Alko wheel lock. 

I got the impression that they have one and want to use it. Could be wrong.

You're right, but I'm now thinking of binning it and going for a nemesis as that would make life considerably easier by the look of it.

If both the nemesis and the alko are easy enough to remove by a skilled thief, I may as well use the one that's easiest to fit and would solve my levelling question as well.

1 minute ago, aqua0part2 said:

but I'm now thinking of binning it

don't bin it, they sell for good money on ebay and the like, but referencing your original post about them being a but of a faff to fit then yes, they are but many people swear by them and put up with the faffing. 

You don't say if it's single or twin axle, singles are much easier to fit with an alko lock, you just have to line the receiver to the center of a spoke hole on your wheel, if you have a second person to watch as you pull, or push it on to the ramp it's not too difficult. Twin axles, that's another matter. 

You make your own choice I guess. 

3 minutes ago, PMW said:

don't bin it, they sell for good money on ebay and the like, but referencing your original post about them being a but of a faff to fit then yes, they are but many people swear by them and put up with the faffing. 

You don't say if it's single or twin axle, singles are much easier to fit with an alko lock, you just have to line the receiver to the center of a spoke hole on your wheel, if you have a second person to watch as you pull, or push it on to the ramp it's not too difficult. Twin axles, that's another matter. 

You make your own choice I guess. 

apologies - by binning it, I meant 'dispose of' which usually means ebay :D

It's a single axle with motor movers, I was just wondering how everything would work when the lock didn't line up or even worse, was 180 degrees out when sat on a leveller

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, AndersG said:

Nemesis ... which insurance companies will accept it?

CMC for one, I've kept the Alko lozenge it'll go back in the 'van when I sell it - seems only fair.

p.s. I give it 5 posts:)

Edited by Mickyjb
typo

Lives near Cheltenham, drives a Jaguar XF-S Sportbrake (2018) towing a Coachman VIP575 (2018).