Sign in to follow this  
GAS

Are Sites Busy ,Busy ??

Watching the morning telly in ma scratcher as I listen to the rain battering off the bedroom window ☹....

That BBC telly mob were stating that Motor Home and Caravan sales have went through the roof due to the " Staycation " theory.

Maybe to the more seasoned caravaner but has anyone one noticed a severe rise on camp site business whilst away or is it more or less just the norm  ?

I'm  looking forward to getting away for the first time but if Sites are mobbed and full of noise maybe hold off another month....🤔

GAS......

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Seem to be-struggling to get little quiet ones booked-no answer to some on phone! Help-!!!

We were away first weekend of lockdown easing, more tents, very big tents, on the site than 'vans or M/Homes. Is it me or are families in tents up earlier in the mornings and noisier than most other forms of camping?

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

7 minutes ago, lunarloopy said:

Is it me or are families in tents up earlier in the mornings and noisier than most other forms of camping?

I think it's due to the fact they are in tents and don't have the sound insulation us caravanners have.

We used to be up earlier when we used a tent as the general noise wakes you up, and it's less comfortable than a caravan so you sleep less (IMO).

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

12 minutes ago, lunarloopy said:

Is it me or are families in tents up earlier in the mornings and noisier than most other forms of camping?

It could be that they are “newbies” to camping. As such they don’t appreciate how sound travels on site, plus they may not have slept well. Or it maybe just a case of they don’t care. 
I have found the issue is more pronounced on commercial sites than on club sites

We’re away at the minute and the site (Padstow) is almost full. We had a week booked in August at Setthorns (New Forest) which was cancelled as the forest sites are remaining closed. We struggled to find anywhere else that suited us but settled on Leyburn in Yorkshire.

Travelling around Cornwall places/attractions don’t seem as busy as usual though.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We havent been anywhere since lock down yet so cant speak from experience. It's Mid July so normally sites would be pretty busy at week ends but the English schools havent broken up for summer holiday yet. In Wales the schools havent opened since lock down so there are more children about. Not sure about Scotland.

Ern

20 minutes ago, Ern said:

We havent been anywhere since lock down yet so cant speak from experience. It's Mid July so normally sites would be pretty busy at week ends but the English schools havent broken up for summer holiday yet. In Wales the schools havent opened since lock down so there are more children about. Not sure about Scotland.

UK schools in a lot of places broke up over a week ago. It’s staggered depending where you live.

We had no problem booking in for this week near Weston super Mare, or a three week stay in Skipsea in August.

You hear quite a lot about people who are really desperate to get going and resume their caravanning hobby, but I think a huge number of people are a lot more cautious (as we are).  We will not be going to any sites until September, and then only on fully serviced pitches.

Ern

2 minutes ago, Ern said:

You hear quite a lot about people who are really desperate to get going and resume their caravanning hobby, but I think a huge number of people are a lot more cautious (as we are).  We will not be going to any sites until September, and then only on fully serviced pitches.

We were also quite wary especially after seeing some of the horror news stories but I have to say Cornwall (where we are anyway) has been the opposite of the news reports, even in Truro yesterday.

We started our first week at a site in Staffordshire on the 4th; the first day all hard standing pitches were taken plus numerous tents on the grass. Not everyone was staying for a full week, some just a couple of nights then either moving on or going home. Similarly with our second week in Cumbria the site was full on arrival, but not every night as people came and went. 

We phoned around as soon as the reopening was announced, having decided that we would only settle for a fully serviced pitch with laundry facilities open, obviously not everywhere we called was suitable, but we still managed to get two weeks away, which was what we wanted.