Dimatec Awning/Service Light

Good morning.

My 2016 Coachman VIP 575/4 has a Dimatec awning light over the door and the same fitting over the battery box on the nearside of the caravan. A couple of the LED's in the lights have failed, due I'm sure to water ingress. Has anyone managed to replace the LED strip or has the whole thing got to be replaced?

Also, does anyone know how to get it off the caravan or does it have a cover which unclips?

Thank you.

2016 Coachman VIP 575/4: 2018 Kia Sorento GT Line S.

I sourced and fitted the same light to the off-side of our older model.  The cover pops off (it is not water tight- and doesn't need to be).  The LED strip however is sealed inside what maybe a bespoke clear housing/lens that is screwed to the baseplate.  It would be possible to swap the lens from a new unit easily if you are prepared to pay for a new unit.

• Like 1

2014 Coachman Pastiche 520/4 | 2013 Freelander 2 HSE

1 hour ago, richandjan said:

I sourced and fitted the same light to the off-side of our older model.  The cover pops off (it is not water tight- and doesn't need to be).  The LED strip however is sealed inside what maybe a bespoke clear housing/lens that is screwed to the baseplate.  It would be possible to swap the lens from a new unit easily if you are prepared to pay for a new unit.

Thank you richandjan.

I'm just wondering about the wiring which goes inside the caravan. Is this soldered to the LED strip or attached by spade connectors or similar?

I’ve replaced the LED array on the offside (above battery box) without replacing the complete unit. As described above, the cover unclips but first remove as much adhesive/sealant as possible. I found it easier to unclip along the bottom first. There are just two screws holding the LED array to the backplate. The backplate is glued to the caravan. Ours is a 460 but presumably it’s all the same principle. On the inside the wires come through to, and are accessible from inside the overhead storage. The wires are protected by a plastic cover and on ours pass down from behind this cover into the void at the rear of the radio. Remove the plastic cover and gently pull the wires (from the light) up from the void at the back of the radio. The radio is all encased in its own unit. The terminals will then be visible; they are spade type terminals. Simply disconnect. To pull the wires through the hole from the outside it may be necessary to cut the terminals off the old light. The new light unit will be wired but without terminals. Remove the LED array (strip) from the new light and fit to the backplate on the van. When the wires are through fit the new terminals. 
It’s worth noting that there are drainage channels on the backplate so be sure not to block these with any sealant/adhesive. I resealed ours along the top only. New units are purchased complete; LED’s are not available separately. From memory they’re around £35.
Looks like our one above the door now needs replacing. Same issue - water ingress!

Coachman 460/2 2016 towed by Land Rover Discovery Sport. Proved to be an excellent outfit.

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought a replacement light fitting. I'm not going to attempt to remove the base from caravan. Instead I'm going to fit the new the LED panel onto the old base and fit the new cover. In an attempt to stop water ingress in future I've placed two strips of self adhesive clear lens repair tape back to back on either side of the aperture in the cover which the LEDs shine through to seal it.

Dimatec.jpg

I was a bit premature. When I tried to refit the two halves of the case back together the clear tape prevented this as the LED unit sits slightly proud of the aperture. This meant the LED was pressing against the tape preventing the locking tabs to be able to line up. I'm going to have to put the clear tape on after its fitted to the caravan.  This is a poor design which could easily be fixed if the manufacturer added a weatherproof seal.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone changed this same light over the door. I assume once the control panel is open the wiring for the light is accessible. Can anyone confirm this?  I assume that once the control panel facia is off and the four screws are removed to allow the ‘back plate’ to be eased forward all the wires are there.

SCP1959 - did the tape work?

Coachman 460/2 2016 towed by Land Rover Discovery Sport. Proved to be an excellent outfit.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Unclemort54 said:

Has anyone changed this same light over the door. I assume once the control panel is open the wiring for the light is accessible. Can anyone confirm this?  I assume that once the control panel facia is off and the four screws are removed to allow the ‘back plate’ to be eased forward all the wires are there.

SCP1959 - did the tape work?

The light I replaced was the one over the door and it turned into a horrible job.

Replacing the defective LED strip was a piece of cake once the control panel was removed to get at the wires to the light, but removing the facia panel is where the difficulty lies. The facia panel simply snaps onto the control panel, but despite my best efforts I managed to crack it by one of the clips and mark the plastic suround the control panel sits in. The facia panel is definitely designed to be easily fitted but almost imposible to remove. I have now drilled the facia panel at each corner so the whole control panel can now be removed easily if necessary. Something I think the manufacturer should have done in the first place. I bought some dark grey domed covers to fit over the screws so it doesn't look too bad. I had to carefully remove and reposition the Coachman badge too.
In theory the clear lens tape should protect the light from water ingress but only time will tell on that score.

1428120908_ControlPanelpic.jpg.654ce978312d0c9179219eb2ab622e50.jpg

Edited by SCP1959

Thanks SCP1959. I need to do this job but clearly I need to proceed with caution with the facia. 
I think you’ve made a really neat job of yours, in spite of the difficulties.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have the same problem on my 2017 compass  battery box side, it's about a quarter full of water.

just out of interest has anybody tried to drill a small hole in for dranage