Thetford toilet flush pump wiring

Gingers

Hi folks, been scrolling various posts for over a year getting answers for us as newbie caravanners.

Am about to replace the thetford 16374 flush tank pump and my query is the cabling.

New pump has about 3-400mm tail with crimps.and heat shrink sleeve to cover that. 

Does this need clipping up out of the way in the flush tank as it surely cant dangle into the flush water itself being live 12v?

Thanks in advance.

I do not think the wiring goes into the tank. Basic fitting instructions are included here https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan/motorhome/spares/thetford/cassette-toilets/cassette-toilet/pump/ and are

How to install the Thetford Cassette Toilet Replacement Pump (16374)

Using this pump to replace a broken part is easy! Simply remove the cassette toilet roll holder, unscrew the old pump and replace with the new one. Join together the 12v wires and protect with electricians tape. And you’re done!

It depends on the exact model, but on our 200 (2005 Bailey) the wiring is indeed in the tank and if you ask me is a daft design. Although the cable joins are above water level, it's obviously very damp and everything including the switch corrodes.

When I did ours I used cable ties to try to keep the join out of the way (I hate those crimps anyway) but expect to repeat the job eventually.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1986 Honda XBR500

Thanks Paul1957 and iansoady for the replies.

The existing pump on our 95 lunar is clearly the original as the power cable has no inline crimp joint and sits in the flush tank and then exits into the cassette housing through a grommet and terminates at the mechanism's connector plug so neither could pass through the small cable grommet.

The joint with the crimps  on the replacement will therefore have to sit in the flush tank like with the bailey..... daft design for sure.

Now I know this, I will seal it all in resin after crimping before shrinking the heat shrink.

Many thanks for the confirmation :)

I have had the same problem with replacement pump on my Bailey Senator. having replaced pump and switch encasing wiring in gel boxes i find it still stops working when flush water is replenished. it does however dry put next day on most cases. sp a bottle of diluted 'pink' is kept on hand now. hope this helps :) 

Update...... have been to van today and although the original pump is one wire and the replacement has a short tail with crimps I have found the answer.

Tucked up on the right there is a plastic pin which is so when replaced the cable can be hooked over to retain the newly added heat shrink covered crimp connections thus kept clear of the main flush water :)

IMG_20200725_235933.png