Hello, I am not a newbie to caravanning, well over 30 odd years service ! I have always washed my caravan with usually just a splash of washing up liquid in the water. Hosed it off and used 'Silky' cleaner afterwards to give a shine. Occasionally, I have used a black streak cleaner for under the side windows.  Never had any problems.

Recently, (end of last season) started using Fenwicks Caravan Cleaner. I have used this before in the past without problems. Also I used 7 Shot Black Streak Remover ( which also is used for Algae removal. )  Since using this combination my whole caravan has become 'patchy' dull areas and some patches where there is a shine but less so overall. I have washed the van all over  and used silky cleaner. I have even used a car electric buffer to apply the Silky without any improvement.

Anyone got any suggestions to the cause and a remedy.

regards

Ray

P1080752.JPG

P1080747.JPG

Edited by makemray

I'm certainly no expert on this but at looks as though there isn't much paint left in places. I know the paint thickness is incredibly little on caravans. Has the cleaning been overdone?

Ern

You shouldn't use washing up liquid on painted surfaces it takes the shine off the paint. It's like putting salt in the water then cleaning with it.

• Like 1

:goodpost:Agreed you should never use washing up liquid on your caravan - it's way too aggressive. Try contacting Tourershine to see what might be done to remedy the damage.

• Like 2

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Sounds as if you need to use a polish rather than just cleaners. Fenwicks probably recommend their Bobby Dazzler polish which is put into the rinse water.

Edited by Paul1957

Washing up liquid has salt in it acts like an abrasive- I knew a chap with a lovely vw who kept using it- ruined the whole car.

The salt in washing up liquid is in solution, not crystalline, so won't act as an abrasive.

It's actually sodium carbonate, not sodium chloride, and is good at removing grease and (unfortunately) wax.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

Land Rover on SORN so not towing anything for a while

Yep the salt in washing up liquid strips the wax finish and also of course enhances corrosion. I'd never use it on car or caravan. You may need a mild abrasive polish then a wax-Autoglym super resin may do the job but there are others that are coarser but less harsh than a t cut. May be a paint restoring polish will do it-but test on a small area first. 

On 21/07/2020 at 13:44, Jezzerb said:

You may need a mild abrasive polish then a wax-Autoglym super resin may do the job but there are others that are coarser but less harsh than a t cut.

Autoglym SRP already has a mild cut. Autoglym EGP paint sealer is usually applied over SRP to top it off.

• Like 1

Send a PM to Tourershine, it’s his livelihood so he will know.

Never ever use washing up liquid. It’s designed to remove grease from saucepans etc so it is very good at removing any surface treatment (wax etc) from cars and caravans! I was told that a while back by an area salesman from Autoglym who I would imagine would “be in the know” over such things. Always use a detergent that is marketed for cars was his advice. 

Is your caravan aluminium skinned or GRP. If aluminium it could be the paint has been worn away, if it’s GRP then it’s surface oxidisation. Either will need professional input to correct, so, as I said, send a Personal message to Tourershine. 

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

On 19/07/2020 at 17:31, makemray said:

Hello, I am not a newbie to caravanning, well over 30 odd years service ! I have always washed my caravan with usually just a splash of washing up liquid in the water. Hosed it off and used 'Silky' cleaner afterwards to give a shine. Occasionally, I have used a black streak cleaner for under the side windows.  Never had any problems.

Recently, (end of last season) started using Fenwicks Caravan Cleaner. I have used this before in the past without problems. Also I used 7 Shot Black Streak Remover ( which also is used for Algae removal. )  Since using this combination my whole caravan has become 'patchy' dull areas and some patches where there is a shine but less so overall. I have washed the van all over  and used silky cleaner. I have even used a car electric buffer to apply the Silky without any improvement.

Anyone got any suggestions to the cause and a remedy.

regards

Ray

P1080752.JPG

P1080747.JPG

There is nothing unusual with the sides of your Caravan, it's just normal fading that most Caravans suffer with.  Although you've used some pretty odd products to clean the Caravan, none of them would of been a direct result of what you can see in your pictures. 

Some of what I can see in the photos, look like where you've attempted to polish parts of the surface, but as expected, it's just not the right way to do this and probably the wrong products.  As a Swift, I suspect your front panel is also dull, but the rear panel might look much better.  

All easily fixed, but certainly not a DIY fix.

• Like 1

Tourershine Job Blog here: https://tourershineblog. wordpress. com where we give full run-downs of some of the most interesting work we carry out.

Check out the latest blog to see one of the most common issues we fix. .

• 2 months later...

End of our season, as short as was every ones? I have spent around 7-8 hours washing our caravan over two days. Top to bottom using Fenwicks, Cleaner, Bobby Dazzler and a spray down of Overwintering.  The offside when at home on the drive faces East near as and that side has become milky like the OP states. I've tried Mer, Turtle wax and Autoglym but I just end up with a nice shiny milky finish? I have so far resisted using T-Cut but how else can I cut this milky coating off?  The front and nearside is brilliant, the front especially so. I have seen posts suggesting G103 but I'm worried I could do more harm than good. Tourershine has posted this is normal? What can be done please?    

Edited by alfiemorris
On 23/07/2020 at 15:25, Mr Plodd said:

"Never ever use washing up liquid. It’s designed to remove grease from saucepans etc so it is very good at removing any surface treatment (wax etc) from cars and caravans! I was told that a while back by an area salesman from Autoglym who I would imagine would “be in the know” over such things. Always use a detergent that is marketed for cars was his advice. "

Or alternatively, use Stardrops - no salt in that and as cheap as chips. I've used it on boats, cars and caravans for years and it removes black streaks very easily without degrading the polish. Not always easy to find although I note that eSpares have recently started to advertise it.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695