Quick hitch up needed

Many thanks for the replies. I've bought a very cheap reversing camera kit (wired) from eBay. 

I'm pretty sure I can run that from my accessory socket in the boot and treat it as a temporary install - I don't want to be splicing into the wiring or drilling through the body work of my car..  I'll mount the camera on a suction mount for a mobile phone/satnav and use the screen sitting on the dash/centre console.

I'll report back if/when it works

• 2 weeks later...

Very pleased to report that the trial run of my ‘docking camera’ install worked very well. 

it’s very ‘Heath Robinson’ but performs its function and I now have a camera pointing directly down in the towball with a monitor on my centre console, removed and fitted in seconds.

total cost under £20 and an hour of tinkering (which I enjoy anyway)

Thanks for reporting back and it's great to hear you have solved your problem.

• 1 month later...

Welldone.  I was just going to say dont worry too much about stopping traffic for a short spell. My father never did and I have taken his confidence.  It is only a minute or two.  Own it, give them a smile and a cheery wave and off you go.

(we live on a main road now, it sometimes takes me a couple of goes to reverse on to the drive but there we go, cest la vie.). (not everyone is nice about it, but not everyone is nice.).

On 19/07/2020 at 10:23, bubble2015 said:

Spend some time practising in your storage yard.

...your wife giving hand signals - where you can see them. Hands held apart the distance you have to reverse, with hands getting closer together as the distance reduces - is better than shouting "back", "back", when you have no idea how far to go!...

This is pretty much the method we use.  The slight variation is that my wife stands next to the hitch, just to it's left.  She holds her right arm above the hitch and keeps it still, moving her left hand closer to the right as I reverse, aiming for her right hand.  The idea is that her hands meet as I get the tow ball under the hitch.

It's the method we learnt years ago on the Camping and Caravanning manoeuvring course, it still impresses people when they see us do it on site. 

You simply cannot better a reversing camera fitted to many makes of modern car! I have to do it on my own as wife is disabled.

I simply reverse till hitch is over ball,stop!lower jockeys wheel,click,done,must have done it dozens of times now.

15 hours ago, reedyontour said:

Welldone.  I was just going to say dont worry too much about stopping traffic for a short spell. My father never did and I have taken his confidence.  It is only a minute or two.  Own it, give them a smile and a cheery wave and off you go.

(we live on a main road now, it sometimes takes me a couple of goes to reverse on to the drive but there we go, cest la vie.). (not everyone is nice about it, but not everyone is nice.).

We live on relatively quiet road. When dropping the van off to clean it on the drive, it takes a couple of minutes to engage the mover, unhitch and manoeuvre it onto the drive, the reverse is done when hitching up to take it back to storage. 99.99% of the time I have no issues with the traffic and people seem happy enough to wait the few minutes. On the only occasion I had an issue it was with a 30 something lady driving a sporty Audi. I was just positioning the van onto the road to take it away when she pulled up right behind the van and started to honk her horn!! I stopped what I was doing and slowly walked over to her and asked what she would like me to do, "move it now" she responded. I informed her that had I not had to come over to Talk to her I would have been about finished and on my way. She snorted and proceeded to reverse 50 yards, up someones drive and sped off. "Note so queer as folk as my old grandmother said."

It’s all going well enough I’m pleased to report, my little camera gadget works a treat and SWMBO stands on the apex of the blind bend outside our house to warn of traffic, I can clear the road in about 3 mins to total and only block the road for about one of those minutes. Only one grumbly lady so far (not in an Audi!)

thanks

I live on a fairly quiet and wide road. But I can guarantee when I want to get the caravan off the drive there will be a car parked in my way, and as soon as I start to move it onto the road a dozen cars will suddenly appear from nowhere.

On 31/07/2020 at 08:45, Grumpy2 said:

Very pleased to report that the trial run of my ‘docking camera’ install worked very well. 

it’s very ‘Heath Robinson’ but performs its function and I now have a camera pointing directly down in the towball with a monitor on my centre console, removed and fitted in seconds.

total cost under £20 and an hour of tinkering (which I enjoy anyway)

Do you have details of the camera you purchased please?

Edited by Guest
  • 3 weeks later...

Glad you found a solution. But I will say that you should never be too bothered about blocking a road up for a bit. 

My job sometimes involves blocking up a road, car park, access to a site for 10/20 minutes. Most people will wait patiently. The ones who don't get ignored as they're stuck waiting anyway. What they gonna do about it! I just stay polite and get on with what I need to do. 

On 02/09/2020 at 22:23, Richard080561 said:

This is pretty much the method we use.  The slight variation is that my wife stands next to the hitch, just to it's left.  She holds her right arm above the hitch and keeps it still, moving her left hand closer to the right as I reverse, aiming for her right hand.  The idea is that her hands meet as I get the tow ball under the hitch.

It's the method we learnt years ago on the Camping and Caravanning manoeuvring course, it still impresses people when they see us do it on site. 

this is very similar to us, we have even had a round of applause a couple of times  :lol:.   

On 02/09/2020 at 22:23, Richard080561 said:

Its also a method that we used back in my army days in MT section (drivers).

On 19/07/2020 at 09:58, Grumpy2 said:

so has anyone got any suggestions to help speed up this process so I don’t bring my road to a stand still for too long

I went for a low tech solution of a simple mirror that when viewed through the interior mirror of the towcar looked directly down onto the caravan hitch. Start with the hitch set slightly below the towball and reverse gently until the towball just contacts with the hitch. Raise the hitch slightly above the towball and it's quite easy to estimate a two inch movement back by leaving the driver's door open and looking at the ground, pick a mark on the ground that a couple of inches behind the lower edge of the door and reverse slowly until it appears in line with the door bottom. Voila, your towball should be exactly below the hitch and ready for coupling up.

image.png

image.png

image.png 

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.