Looking at replacing my present car, Vauxhall Insignia, with a Ford Kuga. Has anyone got one and what are they, towing and driving solo.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was in your very shoes about 5/6 weeks ago. We had a Qashqai 2014 Eco etc whihc was no good for towing and the Kuga looked like the best value for our budget also trying to keep as many of the Mod C

As manufacturers often do, Ford just gave the Mk2 a facelift at the end of 2016 and changed some trim level names but it's still a Mk2.

I believe the electric towbar operates the same as my Tiguan, a switch in the boot drops it down, it then requires moving up by hand till it latches, release is again operation of the boot switch to d

We’ve had three. Currently have the 2.0L 150BHP 4x4 diesel variant, towing 1550kgs MTPLM. The higher powered 180BHP model has more “oomph”, but we sacrificed this for our current model, which does the job absolutely fine.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

I have a Kuga 180ps automatic and currently tow a Coachman at  approx. 1550kg .  In my opinion the Kuga is one of the most competent tugs I've had - it's very stable, will take a 12.5% gradient with no problems, copes with muddy, wet pitches and is quite happy on motorways.  Typical mpg whilst towing is 26 to 28 mpg.    Its comfortable enough and drives surprisingly well solo. I 'd prefer a bigger boot and better mpg solo - averages 40 mpg.  I changed to the Kuga auto because it was one of the few cars I found easy to get in and out of after I had a spinal op.

Prior to the Kuga I had a  Volvo V60 (manual) - superb solo car, competent tug but I had to change and there wasn't an XC60 immediately available at the time hence the Kuga.

When they first came out  I had an Insignia 2.0 tdi saloon (manual).  It was more comfortable and more economical  solo than the Kuga but not as competent or steady when towing a Swift at 1455kg.  

I hope this helps.

Towing 1500kg with a 163bhp 4x4 2014 model.Very happy with vehicle.Solo I would guess around low 40’s mpg and towing low30’s which I seem happy with.Probably only slight down side is smallish “boot” meaning folding rear seats down.

On our 2nd Ford kuga 180bhp 2.0 deisel manuel,more than happy with the performance towing 1600kg, fuel consumption towing around the 24mpg but put this down to van being 8ft wide our last van used to get 27mpg.

we are on our 2nd Kuga auto, pulling 1500 and getting about 30 mpg. , nice cars, we also have the electric tow bar, much easier 

Hi we saw one of the new ones today, very nice looking car.

Pretty certain it was a plug in hybrid, don’t know what it would tow right enough 

Duncan 

61 Santa Fe & 2011 Bailey Olympus 624

The Plug in has got a maximum towable (according to the brochure ) of 1200kg... The 180 diesel is the same as Mk 2 at 2100kg...

Larry from Essex

2019 Bailey Unicorn Cabrera 2017 Kuga 2. 0 TDCi 150

I've had my 2017 2 ltr. 150 hp a month now will do first tow in August I like it solo. In the Facebook Kuga group, there's a separate one too for Kuga  with caravans they all love theirs.  From what is said avoid the 1.5 petrol and diesel it is a heavy car.

My mistake was mine does not have the rear view camera, seems Ford only install them if specially ordered on new builds and is hidden in an accessory pack.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

What about a nice Mondeo estate? 😉

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

We're on our third Kuga and this one is a 180bhp 2.0L diesel.  Love the car - gives me 28 - 30 towing and 40 - 43 solo which isn't great in today's day and age, but it's such a nice car.  I also have an Evoque (as a company car), but it's too light to pull our Loony CLubman safely.

WRT the new Kuga, looks pretty, but it's 90 Kg lighter than the "old" version, so we'll need to look elsewhere, which is a bit of a bummer.    Ford are bringing out  a new vehicle which is apparently a cross between the S-Max and the Galaxy, so we'll need to wait and see what that looks like in terms of kerbside weight.

Edited by Talking Flag
Phat fingers
1 hour ago, swirly182 said:

What about a nice Mondeo estate? 😉

we had a mondeo, great towing car but found the Kuga easier to get in and out, the mondeo is quite low down , for us,

On 18/07/2020 at 21:05, Spikeybee said:

Looking at replacing my present car, Vauxhall Insignia, with a Ford Kuga. Has anyone got one and what are they, towing and driving solo.

I was in your very shoes about 5/6 weeks ago. We had a Qashqai 2014 Eco etc whihc was no good for towing and the Kuga looked like the best value for our budget also trying to keep as many of the Mod Cons as the Qashqai. WE have purchased a Kuga 2014 Titanium X AWD with the stronger engine and it towed my dads Twin Axle 1756kg MTPLM very very well. I can honestly say it suprised me. So smooth did great uphill and dealt with the wieght well. Didnt notice it was on the back at times. Kuga owners forum was the decider for me, they had loads of owners highly recommending it with similar weight vans i wanted to get 

• Like 1

The Kuga is a great car.  Full Stop... It's comfortable and quick solo, and tows like a dream... I've towed 1500 miles between March last year and September, and am amazed how good it is - and mine's only the front wheel drive manual 150 towing 1532kg... 

Larry from Essex

I’ve had 3 Kuga diesel cars over several years

The latest is the 180bhp auto and tows effortlessly with my 1500kg caravan

Went to look at the hybrid petrol electric version new model yesterday

liked the car and with all the anti diesel propaganda at the moment was tempted

On reading the spec sheet it was a shock to see max tow weight 1200 kg

Its CVT auto not the 8 speed version on the diesel

so it seems that narrows the choice of a new Kuga to the same engine that I have already but with 10 more BHP

BMW X3 X Drive and Swift Challenger 580SE

Reading about Kuga's ( I just got one) and lots of problems get mentioned with DPF whatever that is, is it a problem?

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

That's mainly with Mk I's... It depend on how many and what sort of mileage you do.   I've had diesels with DPF (diesel particulate filter) for over 10 years.  A DPF traps the micro particles of carbon etc, and will eventually do a "regeneration".  That means it runs at a higher temp, either by injecting extra fuel directly or other means to burn off the particles.  In my DPF experience I have NEVER noticed any of the three cars do a regen, but I do do a reasonable amount of mileage, and on faster roads.  Towing a van as well will help with the engine working harder than solo.

PS your ST is a Mk II

Edited by Guzzilazz

Larry from Essex

6 minutes ago, Guzzilazz said:

PS your ST is a Mk II

Yes thanks but some say a Mk2.5 others say no such such thing.

I think confusion might come from front grills and back variations.

Regards, David

51 minutes ago, David 38 said:

Yes thanks but some say a Mk2.5 others say no such such thing.

I think confusion might come from front grills and back variations.

As manufacturers often do, Ford just gave the Mk2 a facelift at the end of 2016 and changed some trim level names but it's still a Mk2.

• I agree completely 1

I'll be looking at the 190ps 8 speed Kuga myself in a couple of years...

Hi XT

its while since we both had XTrails

regards

34 minutes ago, Watson(JohnG) said:

Hi XT

its while since we both had XTrails

regards

Nice to see you posting again John.

Still have fond memories of both xtrails I owned...

Just looked at the Ford website and could not see a NEW Kuga with a diesel, only 1.5 ecoboost 150ps.  Waiting to be corrected!

Diesels seem to be coming a rare breed.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

Just ordered Titanium 190 PS diesel auto so hope they make them!!

Its called:

2.0L EcoBlue190PSDiesel

They told me its a new engine

Edited by Watson(JohnG)

21 minutes ago, ChrisUK said:

Just looked at the Ford website and could not see a NEW Kuga with a diesel, only 1.5 ecoboost 150ps.  Waiting to be corrected!

Diesels seem to be coming a rare breed.

Go on to the Ford website, select the New Ford Kuga then Build & Price. Under the "Drive" option there are 4 diesel engine/gearbox configurations.

Edited by Legal Eagle