Caravan towcar electrics extension cable

Admin Comment - Moved to Towcar Talk as it clearly isn’t Caravan Chat

I'm looking for a 13 pin extension cable to test out caravan electrics without having to back the car onto the caravan (because I don't have space to get it close enough to connect otherwise)

I've found a couple of 3 metre ones but they all say they have 13 pins at each end with an 8 core cable in between.

Is that going to provide full functionality e.g. for testing indicators and brake lights.

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

It should provide all road lights but not power to charge battery/ power fridge.

You could buy some 12/13 core cable (only 12 needed) and a plug and socket and wire your own up if you want to have full function. 

• Like 1

I in my mid 30's and caravan with my caravaning cat all year.  Honda CRV '65' Plate 1.6 Diesel towing Swift Corniche 15/2E 1995  Hyundai Santa Fe towing Adria Dart (with weight upgrade to 1800 kg)

3 minutes ago, Ern said:

The link you've posted doesn't seem to work but I've been to the trailertek web site and found what I guess your referring to.

If I've understood it correctly whilst the tester would show that the caravan lights are OK it wouldn't show that the connection from the car is working them properly. 

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

The Trailertek 13 pin tester has a plug on one end and a socket on the other.  If you plug it into the car then the lights will show which circuits are working.  If you plug the trailer into the tester it uses an internal battery to check continuity on each of the circuits.

3 hours ago, DACS said:

The Trailertek 13 pin tester has a plug on one end and a socket on the other.  If you plug it into the car then the lights will show which circuits are working.  If you plug the trailer into the tester it uses an internal battery to check continuity on each of the circuits.

These devices are of limited use, they will not detect poor connections which carry enough current to operate the LEDs on the tester but cannot carry enough current to make the lights work. They also can fail to  give proper results when Canbus or LED lights are concerned.

• I agree completely 1

I got one of these simple testers.

One does the car and other end the caravan.

I paid under a tenner.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13-Pin-Tow-Bar-Towing-Trailer-Caravan-Light-Wiring-Circuit-Tester-Plug-Socket/224083491310?hash=item342c6ab9ee:g:Ht4AAOSwasZddgEE

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.