Caravan constantly causes white streaks on the decking...is there anything we should be coating the van in e.g. wax to stop this?

Emmadee

⁸Hi does anyone know why our caravan constantly causes white streaks on the decking...is there anything we should be coating the van in e.g. wax  to stop this? 

20200714_114029.jpg

Hi, a make, model and year of manufacture would be helpful

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

What do you use to wash the van? Almost looks  like soap residue?

Maybe give it a good clean with some decent caravan shampoo and rinse well?

looks like a static van to me...?  Some sort of drip rail around the bottom of the aluminium to carry water away from the timber beneath perhaps?

The same streaking effect is not evident on the hatch panel from the picture...

I have seen similar, both from paint traces(The old, faded layer) being washed off old vans and wax run off. The former feeling chalky to the touch, the latter being waxy.

3 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

looks like a static van to me...?  Some sort of drip rail around the bottom of the aluminium to carry water away from the timber beneath perhaps?

The same streaking effect is not evident on the hatch panel from the picture...

Yes good idea. Your right no Mark's underneath door panels or front bay view window.. 

Oxidised paint run off. I should imagine once the paint is dry if you run your fingers over the paintwork you get a chalky residue on your fingers. The paint needs washing carefully with a decent automotive shampoo, not traffic film remover, then polishing with a good quality car polish like Autoglym ( other polishes are available) to remove the oxidised paint, seal it and give you a nice shine. Repeat as necessary. 

1 hour ago, Tuningdrew said:

Oxidised paint run off. I should imagine once the paint is dry if you run your fingers over the paintwork you get a chalky residue on your fingers. The paint needs washing carefully with a decent automotive shampoo, not traffic film remover, then polishing with a good quality car polish like Autoglym ( other polishes are available) to remove the oxidised paint, seal it and give you a nice shine. Repeat as necessary. 

Thanks this is exactly what happens, chalky residue when you rub your hand on the van. Thanks for the suggestion I will give this a go before repainting again

Try a small area first. Will give you an idea of how well it works and the enormity of the task ahead