Pete B

New Korando and Bailey Vigo side lights off

Hi

Has anyone had problems with the side lights on Bailey caravans suddenly stopping working after about 15 mins travel with the New  SSangYong Korando ? If I then stop, open the drivers door and restart they come back on again! Must be some incompatibility between the two, The caravan is only 3 years old serviced and I can’t see anything wrong with the connection because they work at first no problem! It’s driving me bonkers, and I think dangerous if driving at night.

Anybody got a suggested fix to try ??

Sounds like you may need a vlm box fitting to regulate the electrics. Have a word with your caravan dealer, as there are different boxes for different scenarios.

2015 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.

VLM boxes are mainly for Swift group via Sargent.  Bailey tend to mostly use filament lamps ... so normally not an issue (AIUI VLM units are are for trailers with led lamps that the towcar can't detect as a load so signal 'lamp failure' .

"New Korando" = new towbar and wiring loom for the connection?  Back to the supplier for investigation and rectification.  Check if an update is needed to tell the car that a caravan is connected?  Check out any Korando owners forums for similar problems?

Does the vehicle's sidelights also turn off when the caravan's one go out?

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Did you have the SsangYong factory wiring harness or a “universal” one.

2020 SsangYong Musso Rebel Auto towing 2016 Swift Conqueror 645.  

Posted (edited)

I had a similar problem on my Kia Sorento, caravan side lights went off as soon as  engine revved up. I had a universal electric kit fitted & apparently it overloaded  canbus system , the car wires are very thin. Got the tow bar fitter back & he fitted a relay fed by a heavier wire, problem solved. 
Incedently the near side tail light went off at the same time as this is where the caravan feed was taken from. In hindsight I should have probably had the Kia harness but it was about £200 extra!

I was away from home when I noticed this as I hadn’t driven the outfit in poor weather or at night & switched the fog guard lights on to give lights at the back of the caravan.  

Edited by Hairyspinner

OP last seen 19 hours ago and no further input from them... :rolleyes:

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

We had the same towing our Verona with a Dacia Duster-we had the bar and electrics for 7pin twin sockets, and used an adapter. Apparently we needed the updated Duster loom. We lost indicators though-nothing else-switch off then on again and was ok for a while-apparently the led lighting tripped out the car circuits-upgraded loom and we were fine.