Freeasabirdpaul

Which used non diesel towcar?

Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for a second hand non diesel towcar up £10k the caravan laden weight is 1550kg.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Paul

I don't envy your search, with that budget you are looking at an age when almost all capable towcars were diesel only.

In 2013 I reluctantly had to settle for diesel because I simply could not find a new petrol SUV that would be comfortable towing a van of around 1500Kg. There were a few  on makers lists, but when I enquired received replies like "we haven't been able to get those for ages".

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

You are maybe going to be talking larger engined BMW 5 series, Audis on the same line SuVs on the same lines, -maybe some non diesel Volvos perhaps Jags maybe, Merc E class or above but you will be looking at thirsty and expensive repair bills-shop carefully and good luck.

Edited by Jezzerb
  • Thanks 1

Mazda 6 estate (or tourer as they like to call it) same mechanicals as a CX 5 but MUCH quieter on the road and a far more dynamic drive (I have had 3 of them now, and driven SIL’s CX5 a fair bit so have been able to compare) Look up the reviews. 

If you want to tow then I cannot recommend the automatic version highly enough.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Posted (edited)

Honda CRV Series 3, or even better Series 4, 2.2 diesel.

Edited by bubble2015
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

You are maybe going to be talking larger engined BMW 5 series

That'd be my vote if one can be found.  I had a 2016 520D which was a great towcar with a kerbweight around 1750kgs, there are a few petrol models around but as has been said, most second hand will be diesel.

1 minute ago, bubble2015 said:

Honda CRV Series 3, or even better Series 4, 2.2 diesel.

He's looking for petrol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

1 minute ago, GaryB1969 said:

He's looking for petrol.

Yup, good point!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 Series or E Class would be my choice.

29 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Mazda 6 estate (or tourer as they like to call it) 

Andy

Weren't the earlier petrols normally aspirated and limited to 1500kg?

• Thanks 1

Jaguar XF Portfolio, Passat TDi DSG, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

Posted (edited)

Assuming you want to keep tho the 85% guide then theres not a huge choice unless you go older.

Mazda 6 and CRV's are a bit light for a 1500 Kg caravan I believe.

The newest option I can find is an Insignia 2.0 Turbo they are rare but there least a few on auto trader for sale. They do them in FWD and AWD versions. The FWD is more common but 30KG under the 85% rule but that is without a tow bar. The AWD is heavier by 130kg.

The auto is same weight as petrol.

Personally I get the manual FWD as the rear diff isnt great and the autos are unreliable.

Other options are the Smax/ Galaxy 2.0 turbo models

Edited by Edde
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Diesels are going to be allowed to be used for quite a few years yet so unless where you go only allows petrol vehicles I would be tempted to stick to diesel for now. If you make a switch to an old big heavy petrol car it is likely to be expensive to run on fuel. Whatever you do, make sure it has a euro 6 engine to help avoid any town centre charges. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Another option is the Volvo range, there are a few petrol V70's on the market (but not many!).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-Volvo-V70-2-5T-SE-Geartronic-Petrol-270-year-tax-Auto-Estate-Petrol-Automat/392857375221?hash=item5b781fd1f5:g:dHsAAOSwx09e-0sO

Edited by GaryB1969
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

2 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

Diesels are going to be allowed to be used for quite a few years yet so unless where you go only allows petrol vehicles I would be tempted to stick to diesel for now. If you make a switch to an old big heavy petrol car it is likely to be expensive to run on fuel. Whatever you do, make sure it has a euro 6 engine to help avoid any town centre charges. 

The OP only has a £10k budget so a big powerfull Euro6 to avoid ULEZ charges maybe an issue.

Or the OP may have a driving regime that is not suited to owning a modern diesel.

Or maybe just doesn't like diesel.

• Thanks 1

Jaguar XF Portfolio, Passat TDi DSG, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

19 minutes ago, Edde said:

Mazda 6 and CRV's are a bit light for a 1500 Kg caravan I believe.

Our (diesel) CRV has a "kerb weight" of 1775 kg and tows 1800kg with easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bubble2015 said:

Our (diesel) CRV has a "kerb weight" of 1775 kg and tows 1800kg with easy.

Petrol?

• Thanks 1

Mazda 6 is plated to tow 1600kg and that’s a pretty hefty caravan.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Edde said:

Assuming you want to keep tho the 85% guide then theres not a huge choice unless you go older.

Why would anyone, other than a novice want to burden themselves with an 85% limit?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Mazda 6 is plated to tow 1600kg and that’s a pretty hefty caravan.

Andy.

For £10k you'd be looking at around a 2014 model. 

The petrol option was a normally aspirated 2.0 with only 155lbft. I believe the max tow braked is 1300kg.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Does anyone know (rather than surmised) why the clubs “advised” the 85% ratio ? What difference does it make if you have or have not towed before? There is a big white box hanging off the back of your car regardless of whether it’s the first or the thousand and first time you have towed it, it’s still the same! And more importantly is it still relevant bearing in mind the advances is car and caravan technology. 

Serious question and not meant as any sort of trap. 

Andy

5 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Andy.

For £10k you'd be looking at around a 2014 model. 

The petrol option was a normally aspirated 2.0 with only 155lbft. I believe the max tow braked is 1300kg.

Ah! That’s no use to man nor beast is it?  I keep thinking it terms of my Diesel sport Nav and that has vastly more torque (445Nm) and 175 BHP

Edited by Mr Plodd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Ah! That’s no use to man nor beast is it?  I keep thinking it terms of my Diesel sport Nav and that has vastly more torque (445Nm) and 175 BHP

Mazda were quite late to the turbo petrol party.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Does anyone know (rather than surmised) why the clubs “advised” the 85% ratio ? What difference does it make if you have or have not towed before? There is a big white box hanging off the back of your car regardless of whether it’s the first or the thousand and first time you have towed it, it’s still the same! And more importantly is it still relevant bearing in mind the advances is car and caravan technology. 

Same for the 100% ratio, and why kerb weight:MTPLM rather than the more logical actual weights.

• I agree completely 1

1 hour ago, Stevan said:

Why would anyone, other than a novice want to burden themselves with an 85% limit?

I don't think 85% is a bad idea it's a general rule of thumb which should have a load of caveats attached. 85% rule is flawed in many ways but many people still work to it. 

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Does anyone know (rather than surmised) why the clubs “advised” the 85% ratio ? 

No idea why but I think there should be a guide as to how you become experienced. I think 85% is a historic rule which no one is willing to challenge for fear of liability.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yep ; am a kerbweight decrier too-presupposes all car makers do is the basic test when clearly they don't. Towed for over 3 years with a 1280 kerbweight car and 1450 caravan-in all emergencies it was rock solid-and that includes as my wife reminded me yesterday getting the outfit airborne over a humpbacked bridge when i missed the sign for it!

Edited by Jezzerb
  • Thanks 1

Towed 400 odd miles Mazda 6 2018 2.0 Automatic. Just got car 1 week ago. Been towing nearly 40 years. Gearbox looks after itself. Refers on hills. Best car ever ever.,

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, davejean said:

Towed 400 odd miles Mazda 6 2018 2.0 Automatic. Just got car 1 week ago. Been towing nearly 40 years. Gearbox looks after itself. Refers on hills. Best car ever ever.,

?? 

• Haha 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion