CT Advertising

Purple Line LogoOur Fullstop® Security Range provides ease of use and maximum protection against cutting, drilling, gas-freezing and corrosion. With exceptional customer service and aftersales care. Shop online today.

Message added by CT Advertising

Last year I was just about to move site when I realised I had lost the metal bar thing which you push into the hole in the alko wheel lock to undo the securing bolt.  I always had a problem lining this up to engage the end of it with the notches in the bolt. Faced with calling out the alko engineer I had a look in my tool bag and found a 6mm wide flat ended screwdriver which I poked in the hole and undid the bolt in seconds. I now use this all the time to save faffing about with the proper tool. I know a lot of people have problems removing the lockable insert that goes into the hole and have noticed when walking around campsites that many don’t bother fitting thinking that it is secure enough without it. Beware. 

I don't do the bolt up super tight I just nip it up if not finger tight. As long as it held against the wheel and the lock in. 

• Like 1

The lock needs to be tightened to 86Nm according to Alko.

Usually, problems with the lockable barrel are down to a lack of regular greasing.

John

7 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

The lock needs to be tightened to 86Nm according to Alko.

Usually, problems with the lockable barrel are down to a lack of regular greasing.

John

I wonder if anyone actual uses a torque wrench on them. It's the one thing I do is keep the lock insert grease up.

1 hour ago, hinchy said:

I wonder if anyone actual uses a torque wrench on them. 

Hinchy, I wondered the same, as I’d never heard it mentioned until I spotted it on this Alko video recently. Like yourself I generally do it finger-tight only,  as I can’t see the need to tighten it any more - it doesn’t make it extra secure does it?

John

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

I didnt know about torquing it iether. I usually nip it up with the brace, but I had never considered that a screw driver would do it (if its not tight). In future I will modify my nip to a NIP!  (Torque wrench? Na.)

Ern

But if the lock barrel is in place you cannot get a screwdriver onto the bolt anyway can you?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Think about it! 

I always just nip it up a bit, certainly nothing like 86Nm, it’s not as if it’s holding a mountain back is it? 

• Like 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

But if the lock barrel is in place you cannot get a screwdriver onto the bolt anyway can you?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Think about it! 

Mr P, it seems like the OP had removed the barrel lock, but was having trouble getting the locking bolt socket to fit the locking bolt’s fancy key-head … so he took that out too, and inserted a screwdriver into the bolt head to undo it.

5F0AAA8E-AEB1-42A9-8B8F-A5553D9D6D45.jpeg.bd1f56531ddfc14a4ae4b91d871aad6b.jpeg

John

I always just nip it up a bit, certainly nothing like 86Nm, it’s not as if it’s holding a mountain back is it? 

lock can be picked and is the first part of the security, the bolt being tight is the second.

macafee2

32 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Mr P, it seems like the OP had removed the barrel lock, but was having trouble getting the locking bolt socket to fit the locking bolt’s fancy key-head … so he took that out too, and inserted a screwdriver into the bolt head to undo it.

5F0AAA8E-AEB1-42A9-8B8F-A5553D9D6D45.jpeg.bd1f56531ddfc14a4ae4b91d871aad6b.jpeg

John

I had worked that one out! That’s the only way he can to get to the bolt with his screwdriver? 

2 hours ago, Ern said:

I didnt know about torquing it iether. I usually nip it up with the brace, but I had never considered that a screw driver would do it (if its not tight). In future I will modify my nip to a NIP!  (Torque wrench? Na.)

Thats the post I was responding to as there is little point in nipping the bolt tight if you cannot get at it with a screwdriver because the lock barrel is fitted. 

21 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

lock can be picked and is the first part of the security, the bolt being tight is the second.

macafee2

Oh come on!! Really??  Have you EVER heard of one of those Alko locks being picked???

The adapter (that was lost) that goes into the securing bolt is a universal fit item anyway :rolleyes: 

3 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Oh come on!! Really??  Have you EVER heard of one of those Alko locks being picked???

I’ve heard of it before where an Alko was picked....... with a  angle grinder

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hinchy said:

I’ve heard of it before where an Alko was picked....... with a  angle grinder

I bet the securing bolt defeated them though :D

Our adapter that goes in to the bolt is a key-and can only be used in one of the two we have-and i can't see you could move it with a screw driver unless th e bolt was quite loose.

Firstly. I lost the locking bolt socket so when I removed the barrel lock I had nothing to undo the locking bolt. The screw driver located nicely in the indents in the locking bolt. The locking bolt socket isn’t a really positive fit in the locking bolt, it’s just a few small protrusions pushing into indents. If the lock isn’t dead centre on the receiver it binds on the locking nut and if the van moves slightly when you put the handbrake on  or when you are tweaking the the level it binds even more making the locking nut very difficult to undo so I always tighten it finger tight. Unless someone has got the laser cut socket to match the locking bolt it shouldn’t matter how tight it is. How can they undo it. ??????  I have seen many vans parked on sites and in motorway services that haven’t got the barrel lock fitted. One of my neighbours had to call alko out to remove the barrel lock so he is reticent to use it. Once the bolt was very tight and I used an adjustable spanner on the shaft of the screwdriver. It undid. The purpose of the post is to make people aware how easy it is to remove the bolt and to remind them to always fit the barrel lock. 

• Like 2

I registered my lock on the alko website when I got it new and I am sure they can replace any particular  lost part 

They quoted me £50 to replace it. I told them how easy it was to undo with a screwdriver and suggested that they put the indents in the locking bolt socket. The agent said the use of a screwdriver would void the warranty. I might put a sticker on the lock made stating “thieves beware, use of a screwdriver will void the warranty”. That should sort it. 

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

I had worked that one out! That’s the only way he can to get to the bolt with his screwdriver? 

Thats the post I was responding to as there is little point in nipping the bolt tight if you cannot get at it with a screwdriver because the lock barrel is fitted. 

The adapter (that was lost) that goes into the securing bolt is a universal fit item anyway :rolleyes: 

The Alko wheel lock has two levels of security - first the lockable barrel and secondly the security bolt. We have learned that the second level is inefective if its not tight because possibly it can be turned with a screwdriver.  (The world now knows that! :blink:)  but we come on this forum to learn as well as to offer advice.  Thanks for the advice Fuentedan.

Are you sure about that? I would have expected them to be produced in batches of a limited quantity. If they really are universal they may as well have put a standard size hexagon socket for a fraction of the cost. 

Ern

I was in two minds about posting this.  I do no want to give thieves ideas but at the same time I think it’s important to make fellow caravanners aware of vulnerabilities. 

22 minutes ago, Ern said:

Are you sure about that? I would have expected them to be produced in batches of a limited quantity. If they really are universal they may as well have put a standard size hexagon socket for a fraction of the cost. 

I think they must be.  I am sure that it is only the key number is registered with Al-Ko.

I've got two Al-Ko locks, one of them for a previous caravan, and the sockets are definitely not inter-changeable.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I've got two Al-Ko locks, one of them for a previous caravan, and the sockets are definitely not inter-changeable.

I think the manufacturing process used an ingenius tool which stamps the key and socket just the same as locking wheel bolts for the car. There may well be some which do just about fit others but in a completely random way. 

• Like 1

Ern

Exactly the same sort of pattern on them as car security bolts fitted by many manufacturers today-good security imo and v tricky to remove other than with the key tool and both different on ours. 

The Alko wheel lock is consistantly mentioned and discounted by many insurance companies.

That tells me something😀.

In my opinion hand tight would be enough for the fixing bolt as the wheel lock just needs to appear to be installed to act as a deterant.

Any steel wheel clamp including the Alko can be removed in a few minutes by a caravan thief so it just acts as a deterant to move the thief on to an easier van.

• I agree completely 1