Fridge not working from car when on tow

Hi All

I have a issue with the fridge on my 2008 Swift Challenger 530 when on tow

The fridge works well on 240v, gas and 12v when the switch on the control panel is set to “van” Along with all other 12v lights etc in the van.

however when on tow the fridge does not work when the switch on the control panel is set to “car”, nor does any other 12v item inside the van.

I have tested the pins on the 7S (grey) plug and traced the red (pin 6) and black (pin 7) from the car to the van, there is a small set of fuses the wiring goes to under the front righthand bench set, I’m getting the 13.8v the car is putting out, the fuses (20A car battery, 15A fridge) are both good and tested fine and im getting the 13.8V on the other side of the fuses.

I then cant trace it any further as its tied up with lots of other wiring

Ive tested all the fuses by the control panel, all are good.. 

Anyone got any ideas? Is their another fuse somewhere?

many thanks

Steve

If it is the same as my previous van (1995 Swift Corniche) the switch has a central position between 'van and car' this is the position it needs to be in when towed. The 'Car' position is just to allow you to use the car battery if hitched up but the leisure battery was flat for example. Also depending on the van it may have a relay that takes a small time to change over once it gets the switched 12v from the car. Hope this helps. 

I in my mid 30's and caravan with my caravaning cat all year.  Honda CRV '65' Plate 1.6 Diesel towing Swift Corniche 15/2E 1995  Hyundai Santa Fe towing Adria Dart (with weight upgrade to 1800 kg)

18 minutes ago, jonply said:

If it is the same as my previous van (1995 Swift Corniche) the switch has a central position between 'van and car' this is the position it needs to be in when towed. The 'Car' position is just to allow you to use the car battery if hitched up but the leisure battery was flat for example. Also depending on the van it may have a relay that takes a small time to change over once it gets the switched 12v from the car. Hope this helps. 

Same for me. Mid point on the rocker switch when towing.

Hi All

well, after a number of hours with a volt meter, tracing cables, testing fuses and relays (i now know the electrical layout of the 2008 Swift challenger 530) it seems that i have made a school boy error..

The system is working perfectly and I should have simply checked the swift user guide first.. as it states on page 18 under “The towing code”

”WARNING: The fridge will only operate in transit when the 12V distribution panel selector switch is in the 'VAN' position.”

https://orbit.brightbox.com/v1/acc-jqzwj/Swift/handbooks/pdfs/000/000/020/original/1079620_Caravan_Owners_Hbook_2008.pdf?1472743469

However I still have no idea if the switch set to “car” is meant to do anything..

thanks for your time everyone

45 minutes ago, dreams3577 said:

However I still have no idea if the switch set to “car” is meant to do anything..

The "car" position should enable the caravan 12v system to be powered by the car battery( engine off).

9 hours ago, Stevan said:

The "car" position should enable the caravan 12v system to be powered by the car battery( engine off).

If that's the case then obviously there's a risk you flatten the car battery and then can't start it. It's also unusual to have the car attached to the van's electrics when pitched. Is there a possibility that the switch setting limits what may be powered within the van eg toilet flush pump and lights say but not fridge?

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

.........a 2008 Swift Challenger will be fitted with a habitation relay.

When the vehicle engine is running, this relay prohibits any 12 volt systems operating in the caravan except the refrigerator, caravan battery charging and alko ATC if fitted.

The car position allows the 12 volt systems in the caravan to be powered from the vehicle battery, when the engine is not running.

I make uses of this facility, when off grid with my Challenger, using a 3 meter extension cable to electrically connect car to caravan.

The refrigerator is not powered from the vehicle battery under these conditions and will not work on 12 volts.

I have a battery monitoring system to manage the drain on the vehicle battery to allow for engine starting.

Keep active ....be happy...stay safe.

11 hours ago, dreams3577 said:

”WARNING: The fridge will only operate in transit when the 12V distribution panel selector switch is in the 'VAN' position.”

Dreams3577 I have the same caravan, where is this switch located? is it the one on the control panel above the door

Edited by Arrand
2 hours ago, Steamdrivenandy said:

If that's the case then obviously there's a risk you flatten the car battery and then can't start it. It's also unusual to have the car attached to the van's electrics when pitched. Is there a possibility that the switch setting limits what may be powered within the van eg toilet flush pump and lights say but not fridge?

Yes, that is a risk. Back in the day it was commonplace to see, and you could buy in accessory shops, an extension lead to run from one of the seven pin sockets on the car to the plug on the caravan. It was also commonplace to see jump leads pressed into service to get cars started in the morning!

3 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Yes, that is a risk. Back in the day it was commonplace to see, and you could buy in accessory shops, an extension lead to run from one of the seven pin sockets on the car to the plug on the caravan. It was also commonplace to see jump leads pressed into service to get cars started in the morning!

I had two very neat roll up extension leads. They were in use up to 15 years ago. Prior to fitting mains electric to my then mains caravan some 10 years earlier we happily used the car to power our 12 volt system in the caravan for lighting and water pump. On a 7 week tour there was no problem even with a dynamo rather than alternator. With the relatively low demands placed on it it was never a problem. 

After fitting the mains electric it was still used for the general lighting (florescent) and the waterpump despite usually being on EHU which obviously powered the three pin sockets but also internal spotlights and the fridge and an exterior light.  

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

On 12/07/2020 at 21:16, dreams3577 said:

however when on tow the fridge does not work when the switch on the control panel is set to “car”, nor does any other 12v item inside the van.

When you say not working... We turn our fridge on (mains) a couple of days before going away.  We then put the already chilled food into it, select 'battery' and off we go.  The temperature is pretty much maintained during the journey.  In warmer weather we even add a couple or three frozen coolbox blocks (whatever they are called) to the top of the fridge along with  the food just to give the 12v operation a helping hand.

If we were to just set off with a ‘warm' fridge, we’d still have a fairly warm fridge when we arrived at our destination.  

3 hours ago, Arrand said:

Dreams3577 I have the same caravan, where is this switch located? is it the one on the control panel above the door

Hi Arrand.. The switch is on the control panel in the little cupboard opposite the entrance door