Anyone planning a summer holiday on the continent?

We always spend the summer on the continent and really want to do that this year too.  Eurotunnel is a fortune, so I guess we are not the only ones.  Can anyone help me come up with what I need to think about as my brain is not thinking about the risks.  So far I have

- making sure we choose refundable crossings etc

- checking travel insurance when we buy it.

- working out how we would get home in a pinch - or stay?

- wondering whether we should limit which countries we visit - although we only normally go to benelux, fr, d and ch - so nothing too adventurous.

- finding campsites not too booked up at this point! with pools...

I am sure there are other threads on this, but I havent seen them yet, grateful if anyone can point me there..

Thanks for all responses in advance

My advice would be not to go too far from home in case there are more lockdowns.

We are away for 3 weeks and for the first time ever we are not touring and we are only 3¹/2 hrs from home.

Brittany Ferries are back next week to three sailings per day  from Portsmouth to Caen, so clearly someone is going across, but  perhaps half the normal numbers.  The best fares on that route are from one of the two big Clubs.

Many travel insurances will now cover problems arising if you catch Covid when you are overseas, but will not cover cancellation costs if you catch it in UK before you set off  - so wait and book a ferry  a few days before you travel then  you need not worry about fares being refundable . 

Reports from France say campsites are pretty empty so you can go most places without reservations. Take a site guide and a phone - call  sites 24 hours ahead.

thanks very much for the comments.

In the last lockdown people were travelling home as I understand it?  Although I dont relish the idea of spending nights in calais trying to get over, with a car full of kids.

I can think of worse things than being locked down in a campsite in france...

moorgate - do you think that the campsites will get busier?  I assume so, as the summer goes on.

Reedyontour,  If you don't want to spend nights in Calais then don't go there !  That's why I mentioned the resumption of three sailings a day between Portsmouth and Caen. You can easily explore the Normandy and Brittany coasts within just a day's drive from there without travelling too far. You can alternatively nip across from Plymouth to Roscoff and stay within 50 miles of the ferryport.

Will sites in France get busier as summer goes on?  Probably not because French school holidays began a week ago and the French families who are going on holiday have gone already.  You can tour without booking by phoning ahead.  

But whether you go or not really depends on your confidence and your own attitude to risk. Good luck either way.

Also, in France at least, the site fees are much higher in July and August.

Going to wait until September.

When we arrived at our campsite in France three weeks ago it was almost empty. Probably only 10 to 15% of the pitches were occupied. We left just before the weekend when it was starting to get a bit busier (with French) but even then it wasn't more than half full. The lady at reception told us that many had cancelled their pitch reservations in favour of renting statics where they have their own bathroom. There appeared to be some reluctance to use the sanitary blocks although they were disinfected 4 times a day, even with so few people using them and despite safety measures.

I'm booked out and return with Brittany.

Site and ferry can be deferred until later if needed.

Have got Red Pennant booked.

Plan 1 is get the booked ferry back.

If that goes wrong then plan 2 is drive to Calais and cross on or over on something.

Plan 3 send the wife and kids back by plane and I will get back with the van when I can get across.

Plan 3.5 go Hook of Holland to Harwich. I seriously hope it doesn't get that far though!!

If you're from Leicester, apart from not being able to travel anyway, Belgium will not let you in