Sign in to follow this  
burstneraddict

SERVICE STATIONS ON A1 & M74 WITH CHILDREN'S PLAY AREAS

Could anyone advise on Service Stations with children's play areas on the A1 between Huntingdon and Scotch Corner and also on the M74 up to Glasgow.  I do not need to know about caravan parking as the information is for my son who is driving up to see us for the first time post lock down.  I realise that this is a slight misuse of this caravan forum but I know that there is lots of knowledgeable contributors and I cannot think of any other source to answer his question.

There are better play areas than at motorway service stations.

I suggest the children might have a run about at Clumber Park close to the A1 stretch, then Brougham Castle at Penrith before heading north to the M74 . 

Under current conditions, and for the foreseeable future, many children's play areas are either closed or severely restricted.

Moorgate:  Thanks I will take a look at your suggestions.  I have already been looking at possibilities along the A66 as I know the area well.

Stevan:  Thanks.  Play areas in Scotland have been open again for a few days now and I think England's were allowed to open earlier.

I have three young grandsons staying with me. No way will I let them in a play park, much to their disappointment. 

They could very easily pick up the virus and pass it to me or my wife in the blink of a minute. 

The risk is much too high for us. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Whilst play areas have been allowed to open, not all councils have done so. It was on the local BBC news recently that in Hull they have not opened theirs on health and safety grounds. They say they want to check them all in case they are not safe and need some maintenance which they have not been doing for the last few months. If any are found in the right location, it would be worth checking with the relevant authority/owner that they are actually open. Another option would be to travel when the children are tired (but not the driver)and they might sleep for the 5 hours or however long it will take.

Paul1957.  Thanks for the comment.  It is actually a 11 hour journey without stops from SE London to the North of Scotland.  I was only seeking information for the section of the journey when they will be awake.  They plan to make a very early morning start tomorrow morning and be with us late afternoon/early evening depending how the journey goes.   I have already identified several possibilities using google maps and the little yellow man.