My service provider has offered me a Netgear Nighthawk M2 mobile router and while getting a discount it's not cheap. I would be interested to hear from anybody that has one and am interested if one of these would give a better signal than a 'hotspot' from my mobile and is it worth the cost.

Hotspot with your phone uses your phones data allowance.

A Mifi device requires a data only sim (that you have to pay to “load” with a data allowance. So by the sounds of it they are offering you a Mifi device. 

Both devices use the mobile phone network so if one has no signal you won’t get one on the other.

It might be cheaper to pay for extra data on your mobile bearing in mind the cost of the Mifi gizmo! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

5 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Hotspot with your phone uses your phones data allowance.

A Mifi device requires a data only sim (that you have to pay to “load” with a data allowance. So by the sounds of it they are offering you a Mifi device. 

Both devices use the mobile phone network so if one has no signal you won’t get one on the other.

It might be cheaper to pay for extra data on your mobile bearing in mind the cost of the Mifi gizmo! 

The problem is I have 100 Gb on my mobile and the Netgear Nighthawk offer is only 50 Gb but I just wondered if this device would give a much better signal than a mobile or does the 'hotspot' give the best signal available.  Apparently it will connect up to 20 devices but that isn't the issue for me.

If you are talking about use in a caravan the Netgear Nighthawk M2 has Dual TS-9 external 3G/4G antenna ports so you can connect an external aerial which you can't do with your phone. This will give you a better signal in the caravan assuming there is a signal in the first place. There are however plenty of cheaper MiFi devices with TS-9 ports that will provide an adequate service. The M2 is a lovely device but very expensive and will you get the extra benefit over a cheaper MiFi - I doubt it.

I had one of these M2’s from EE for £150 upfront and a 1 month rolling contract with unlimited data for £30 per month. I was overly impressed vs the 4g TP Link router that I use in the caravan and that only cost @£70. I had it unlocked by EE (a very painful process) and sold it on eBay almost doubling my money 😀. I found the battery life poor.

On 11/07/2020 at 04:37, madasmad said:

I had one of these M2’s from EE for £150 upfront and a 1 month rolling contract with unlimited data for £30 per month. I was overly impressed vs the 4g TP Link router that I use in the caravan and that only cost @£70. I had it unlocked by EE (a very painful process) and sold it on eBay almost doubling my money 😀. I found the battery life poor.

EE are now £100 upfront and £22 per month for 50Gb.  I have read many good reports about the M2 but can't find one that has compared it to 'personal hotspot' on an iphone

• 2 months later...

I have a huewai 5577 with external antenna points and a panorama mimo aerial.

I bought the 5577 on amazon£60 and a 8£per month sim .

I transfer data from my phone on EE rather than buy a bigger data only sim (its generally cheaper that way)

At East Fleet in Weymouth my samsung S7 could not pick up a signal at all but the 5577 could, albeit a poor one.

I carried out a download test with aerial and without and without it was about 6mbs and with aerial about 14mbs. 

The aerial does work and we could use messenger video but not good quality.

I believe it not just about download speed but quality of signal that counts and also the frequency of the receiver against the suppliers signal ie EE or O2 etc. The 5577 covers all of the major networks in the UK

• 8 months later...

I bought the M1 as 5G coverage is so poor at the moment I didn’t see the point in spending the extra on the M2. For me the M1 is perfect, getting a very good signal where our iPhone 12 Pros on same network struggle. I haven’t bought the external aerials for it as so far haven’t found the need.