Sign in to follow this  
pattojones

‘15 VW Passat 2.0L TDI SCR 190 saloon

Manual box. MTPLM of van is 1375Kg.

Will this tow acceptably? 

Very very easily - you might not even notice the caravan is there!

• Like 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

I tow 1700kg with my 187bhp Tiguan.

4 hours ago, Woodentop said:

Very very easily - you might not even notice the caravan is there!

I should have said..............  'unless you look in the mirror!'

Also don't forget if you are having a towbar fitted you MUST specify that it has to have the fridge wiring fitted - it is not standard on most after-fit bars. I would suggest a Westfalia detachable as it fits nicely inside the spare wheel when not in use and it is Westfalia that make the towbars for VW factory fit.

Posted (edited)

Would a 150 ps be noticeably less capable? Many forums say the 150 is smoother, plus the 190’s are quite rare.

Edited by pattojones

2 hours ago, pattojones said:

Would a 150 ps be noticeably less capable? Many forums say the 150 is smoother, plus the 190’s are quite rare.

I've towed 1460kg mtplm with a few 140ps/150ps 2.0TDi Passat's never a problem.

Jaguar XF Portfolio, Passat TDi DSG, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

3 hours ago, logiclee said:

I've towed 1460kg mtplm with a few 140ps/150ps 2.0TDi Passat's never a problem.

+1 - and they were all estates as well! The power difference is purely ECU mapping, otherwise they are the same. 

A lot less torque with the 150ps than the 190ps.

You can get a petrol car with torque around the same as the 150ps, with a much wider torque band.

I've got this engine in a 2017 Skoda Superb.  So not directly comparable.  I have done about 70K in it no problems with the engine wrt reliability.   I would say because mine is 2wd.  With a heavy right foot it is very easy to get wheel spin. 

A personal opinion I wouldn't entertain a manual car as a tow car

1 hour ago, fred said:

I've got this engine in a 2017 Skoda Superb.  So not directly comparable.  I have done about 70K in it no problems with the engine wrt reliability.   I would say because mine is 2wd.  With a heavy right foot it is very easy to get wheel spin. 

A personal opinion I wouldn't entertain a manual car as a tow car

Hi Fred

I have a 2ltr passat man/gearbox . is your's the dsg box as I am just starting to search for a replacement tow car and would/might look at a dsg box

kot

pigs

4 minutes ago, pigsfly said:

Hi Fred

I have a 2ltr passat man/gearbox . is your's the dsg box as I am just starting to search for a replacement tow car and would/might look at a dsg box

kot

pigs

Three different DSG's are fitted to the Passat so it depends on year and engine as to what box you will get.

Jaguar XF Portfolio, Passat TDi DSG, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

14 minutes ago, pigsfly said:

Hi Fred

kot

pigs

Hi yes mine is 6spd DSG.   But to be clear it is not my tow car.  For normal driving the DSG box is fine for me and enough people tow with one.  Yes I know some of them have been problematic so you need to do research.  The only  thing that VAG auto boxes seem to lack and I include my Touareg in this, is the ability to force a high gear start in Ice and snow.  A facility that even my 1989 vauxhall Carlton had.

1 hour ago, logiclee said:

Three different DSG's are fitted to the Passat so it depends on year and engine as to what box you will get.

Hi Lee 

which one would make the best towing box caravan is under 1400 kg

kot

pigs

On 10/07/2020 at 09:33, pattojones said:

Manual box. MTPLM of van is 1375Kg.

Will this tow acceptably? 

Yes!   I tow a similar weight (1325kg laden) with the 150bhp manual Alltrack model with no problems at all.  The Passat is a very nice tow car and this is my third.  I have towed around France lots of times with this outfit and have never had any worries.  The 150kg model is nicely geared for towing.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

The car has won towcar of the year, so you should have no problem. In fact VW group do very well in these contests and have a great towing pedigree.

3 hours ago, pigsfly said:

Hi Lee 

which one would make the best towing box caravan is under 1400 kg

kot

pigs

Too be honest either the 6 speed or 7 speed wet clutch boxes are fine, the 7 speed dry clutch I'd avoid.

As long as you stick to the 2.0 engines you will avoid the 7 speed dry clutch.

dq250 6 speed and dq500 7 speed are both great gear boxes that give little trouble when correctly serviced. oil and filter is due every 40k miles.

4 hours ago, MikeBooker said:

dq250 6 speed and dq500 7 speed are both great gear boxes that give little trouble when correctly serviced. oil and filter is due every 40k miles.

You will only get the DQ500 in the Bi-Turbo I believe. The rest of the 2.0 Petrols and 2.0 diesels with 7 speed wet clutch get the DQ380. 

But the comments are valid for both.

7 hours ago, logiclee said:

You will only get the DQ500 in the Bi-Turbo I believe. The rest of the 2.0 Petrols and 2.0 diesels with 7 speed wet clutch get the DQ380. 

But the comments are valid for both.

indeed, the transporter got the dq500 in 140hp and above. down to its extra weight i guess.

My single turbo Tiguan has the DQ500 auto.

On 13/07/2020 at 15:59, Wildwood said:

The car has won towcar of the year, so you should have no problem. In fact VW group do very well in these contests and have a great towing pedigree.

I have noticed VWs in recent years have gained good reports in the towcar of the year tests, the testers seem to like them. I would consider a Passat estate if they were a bit heavier for our caravan.

9 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

I have noticed VWs in recent years have gained good reports in the towcar of the year tests, the testers seem to like them. I would consider a Passat estate if they were a bit heavier for our caravan.

Which Passat Estate? The bi-turbo 256bhp and/or AllTrack will probably be rather heavier than the 150bhp 2WD.

19 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

Which Passat Estate? The bi-turbo 256bhp and/or AllTrack will probably be rather heavier than the 150bhp 2WD.

The ones I could afford so unfortunately not the 4 wheel drive, just a bog standard 2 litre diesel. From a post on here the 2 litre diesel estate has from memory a mass in service of 1505 kg. Our caravan MTLPM is 1499 kg.

20 hours ago, xtrailman said:

My single turbo Tiguan has the DQ500 auto.

The Tig was the mule trial car for the DQ500, just like the Golf was for the DQ250. 

The Tig has continued with the DQ500 even when the slightly smaller and lighter DQ380/381 version was released.

VW Passat Alltrack B8  weighs in at 1670kg.  VW recon that the Max Tow weight is 2100kg.  - But I wouldn't tow a big wobbly box ( caravan ! )  at over 1670kg!    :)

John.

• Thanks 1

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?