borrowdale

Damage to side of van, Storm Ciara

I had an asbestos sheet,8’x4’ lift off a nearby shed, and puncture the aluminium skin in 3 positions during storm Ciara.A claim was submitted and permission was granted for repaired.

The van goes in later this month for repair, but the van goes in at 08:00 and should be available to pick up the next day.How will they repair,paint,and replace decals in one day.

What procedures do they use for repairs.

Without seeing pictures of the damage I’d imagine the damage is slight. In that case it would be repaired with a little fibreglass paste, filler, flat and local respray. As long as  none of the decals are not damaged they won’t be replaced. They certainly won’t be respraying  the whole side. But without seeing the damage it’s only speculation on my part. 

2020 SsangYong Musso Rebel Auto towing 2016 Swift Conqueror 645.  

Although I cannot speak for your repairer directly,  I can pass on some of the very common examples as to why damaged insurance repairs are being done so quickly, just to give you something to look for when you collect it.

Decals are often not replaced, rather they are masked around.  This is common on older models on the basis that the originals are hard to find, but even more common on the much newer Caravans simply because modern decals are often very big and cost a fortune. 

A lot of the repairs we see look like an amateur has done the work, outdoors and with an aerosol can.  The colour rarely matches perfectly,  and repairing in patches is common, even if the damage is on the same panel and close together.  

By this, I mean you have several dents along the top of a side panel from say an awning that's blown against the side and the poles have dented in several places.  A good bodyshop should repair all the dents, and potentially just paint the whole top half of the Caravan.  We often see the same scenario, but the repairer has gone along and just painted over each individual repair, which often looks terrible.  'patch repairs' 

The reason it can often look bad is because the paint from a gun tends to have an orange peel effect, where as most Caravans powder coating or gel coat finishes don't, so the texture change is really obvious. 

Lastly, bare in mind that some insurance companies can push a repairers quotes to a thin profit margin, which leads to some less scrupulous bodyshops to cut corners, although in this industry we've been told of direct experience where an insurance company paid a huge amount out to fix a Caravan and the results were very sub standard. 

One example was a Bailey Senator that we were told had a new side fitted at a cost to the insurance company for several thousand pounds, only to find exactly where the original damage was and a very poor repair of the panel the insurance was told was replaced. 

These are only extreme examples we've come across and hopefully yours is in and out quickly because the repair isn't overly involved. 

Tourershine Job Blog here: https://tourershineblog. wordpress. com where we give full run-downs of some of the most interesting work we carry out.

Check out the latest blog to see one of the most common issues we fix. .

Thanks for the reply,I have photo’s on my iphone so see if I can download them.The damaged area must be 12” square.Even though it punctured in 3 places it did scratch further down van.

Decals are being replaced as damaged.Surprisingly this was the concern of insurance company.

I just wonder if they cut a square section out of aluminium and then fill.

At least my insurance excess is not too bad.

If you have a copy of the estimate it will show what the are doing.

Wildwood, not really much info on the estimate, just a breakdown of costs, labour etc.

The insurance company just dealt with the repairer direct.