We are currently in Provence and have been for a week.  Left home without a caravan as we store ours down here, so tunnel booked for a Sunday at 16.20. No problems at terminal at all and feel that they have blocked off many crossings so it is not busy. We filled in a form requested by Foreign Office to hand in on arrival in France which gave personal details and holiday dates.  All prepared to hand in but no one stopped us or requested these details!

We stopped in Saint Omer after a short 30 minutes drive in a hotel. No issues at all, masks worn on entrance to hotel and taken off if eating or drinking.  Not many in hotel where we chose to eat, staff wore masks all the time whilst serving.  Set off in the morning for hotel in Beaune, same rules with masks. Ate outside in restaurant, waiters wore masks, menu on iPads given once seated, tables spaced out.  Route down to Provence in the morning wasn’t  busy as usual.  Stopped at Aire and had our own picnic lunch and avoided service areas and filled up at Auchan before getting on peage.   Arrived at campsite we have visited for over 10 years with a lovely welcome and so pleased to see us.  Campsite is significantly showing less people visiting.  July and August is always full and with the same people - English (not many of us), Belgium, Dutch and French.  This year very few English,  there are Dutch  but much more French.  Site has about 100 pitches and at this time of year there are no vacancies usually but yesterday I walked round and 42 empty. Site is fine, increased cleaning of facilities which are always immaculate, restaurant and bar running although tables more spaced out, swimming pool as normal, but less people, sun loungers are less as some taken away, all staff in bar, restaurant, shop, reception wear masks as does anyone who goes into enclosed area.  Off site Supermarkets are fine, masks worn at all times if you visit and trolleys sanitised and hand sanitiser as you enter.  Not visited a big market as do not want to be in a busy area, but have visited small village markets and shops and same rules apply with masks and hand sanitisers being available.  We probably won’t go and visit the many places we usually do as in August places are busy but it’s not detracting from us enjoying being here.  On our pitch we feel safe and the friends we meet from England,   Belgium and the Netherlands are also following the same routines as we are.  It is very pleasant to actually been on holiday despite everything the world is going through however we are still on guard and have masks in my bag, in the car, in the van along with hand sanitiser and wash our hands at every opportunity. We love our caravan never more than we do in the situation we are currently in.

I hope that many people do manage to get away in their own haven of peace, quiet and security whether this is in the UK or elsewhere.  

Have a happy and safe August. 

Bergamo. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think you'll find that WE, not just Boris, want independence, decided through a democratic process.

Certainly isnt. However the majority of those who bothered to vote DID vote to leave, and in a democracy it’s the majority’s choice (regardless of the size of the majority) that’s adopted, and that’s

If I had booked and couldn't get a refund I would go. If I had booked and could get a refund I would cancel.  If I hadn't booked I would not even contemplate making a new booking.  

13 hours ago, SuperRed said:

It's a long way down there, how do you make the journey? What is the site like? We prefer the smaller sites.

Site is fine and situated all along the beach, we are second row back. We are taking two stops down and the same coming back so about 250 miles per day which is easy in France.  From what we hear it about 50% full in Port Grimaud but even at 100% the beach was not full so distancing should be easy. if anyone gets to close i will cough lots and that should sort it.

If I had booked and couldn't get a refund I would go.

If I had booked and could get a refund I would cancel. 

If I hadn't booked I would not even contemplate making a new booking.

It's just an unnecessary risk. What if France suffered a spike and is added to the "quarantine" list, could you afford to self isolate for 14 days on return. What if you are stuck overseas and cannot board the ferry or tunnel home because you display symptoms. What if you were hospitalised, could your partner cope with extending bookings, moving your caravan if necessary? What if you decease overseas, could you partner handle the arrangements which would be necessary. 

We hope these things never happen, and yes, they could happen even without COVID but with such an increased risk I would have to ask myself is it worth it. There are equally nice places in the UK, and France will still be there next year. 

• I agree completely 4

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

With Belgium being added to the list of countries you would have to quarantine if returning from I would fully endorse PMW’s reasoning. 

If Belgium is on the list I don’t reckon it will be very long before France is added to the list of plague countries :(

• I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

how are those of you who come back after your holidays and have to take a fortnight off work to quarantine, are your bosses okay with that and I don't suppose you get paid for it or do you?

• I agree completely 1

It is certainly ok in central France. We have been in France for 2 weeks now & currently on a quiet country site nr Chateauroux . Apart from masks in supermarkets you would not know there is a crisis. Campsite which we have used for years is operating as normal. Probably about half full with some longer stayers like us but plenty of overnight stoppers arriving in afternoons as site is near to A20.

Hot as hell atm so we are staying put for another week & then carry on down to Dordogne.  At end of Aug when ACSI starts again then over to south west coast Gironde area & we shall stop out until site closing time end of October unless we are thrown out of France before then.

Not worried about quarantine as we are pensioners.

• Like 1

Is this the writing on the wall??

France Covid rates rising

See my previous post, looks like my crystal ball works! 

Andy

Perhaps they are doing more testing like here? Rates rising here but deaths and admittances to hospital lower if you believe what is in the news!

Edited by 664DaveS
  • Like 1

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

Retired here so quarantine is just another day

3 minutes ago, colin h said:

Retired here so quarantine is just another day

So possibly you may spend 14 days isolated at home, with someone to do the shopping for you?

Quarantine means not leaving your house at all. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

30 minutes ago, WispMan said:

So possibly you may spend 14 days isolated at home, with someone to do the shopping for you?

It also means not stopping between the port and your home, and I imagine you'd be in trouble if you took your outfit to a storage site on the way.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

In deed that is what quarantine means. But we have a freezer and home delivery plus my Daughter who is a Doctor lives up the road.   We have been sticklers for quarantine thus far and will continue to be.

Just for information.

We have spoken to CMC this morning re trip.

If we cancel then Brittany keep 25% and we get 75% or we can book for next year and pay whatever the difference in price is Vs this year.

As for the sites we have booked then CMC will liaise and we may get back our deposit (we have only paid a Deposit) 

If The FCO advise then same for Brittany but we will get back the full premium from red pennant ins.

6 hours ago, WispMan said:

Worth it for us if we can stop out until end of Oct.  Feet up at home with daughters doing our shopping. Caravan lives on driveway & we are only 2.5hrs from Dover. :)

Edited by Laurent
On 07/08/2020 at 08:07, Mr Plodd said:

Is this the writing on the wall??

France Covid rates rising

See my previous post, looks like my crystal ball works! 

Andy

your crystal ball is bang on Mr P

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

Just looked at my crystal ball and not going to France this year , I'll have another look  at the old crystal ball later in the year and see if I can go next year , thanks for the replies  whether crystal balls or not , Pete 

Reports today state France will reciprocate the arrangement, and anyone traveling from the UK will need to isolate for two weeks.

La tat pour tat

Graham

We were supposed to go on the 15th and have paid for our site in full, not sure what the  legal situation regarding recovering our £250....

Volvo XC60 & Hobby Premium 540efu

25 minutes ago, Nick J said:

We were supposed to go on the 15th and have paid for our site in full, not sure what the  legal situation regarding recovering our £250....

Have you contacted the site? And why aren't you going?

Graham

Just now, WispMan said:

Might have something to do with the 14 day self isolation required on return to the U.K.  ??

Brother in law is a Sat diver, got back from Iran just over 2 weeks ago. He had two phone calls and a visit to check he was isolating !  He spent the two weeks counting all the dollar bills he had been paid in. Due to the sanctions cash  was the only way he could be paid. He reckons he was a tad nervous on the way to the airport with all that dosh on him! 

I see France are talking about making anyone who arrives from the U.K. having to self isolate for 14 days. Tit for tat??? 

17 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I see France are talking about making anyone who arrives from the U.K. having to self isolate for 14 days. Tit for tat??? 

Look back five hours in these posts and that's what we're discussing. 

Including a french tit for tat. 

Pay attention at the back please :)

Graham

:unsure: :unsure:

24 minutes ago, WispMan said:

We didn't go due to the 14 day quarantine, both my wife and daughter are in state education and they had been told that to go against government recommendations would mean no pay, I did notify the site (English owners ) on the Friday evening... 

Volvo XC60 & Hobby Premium 540efu

You can but ask them but the choice is yours so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a refund. But let us know what they say. 

Graham