Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Normally go to France every year for the summer but haven't booked anything yet sites or crossings  , I know CMC are selling red pennant insurance to include covid but just not sure whether to go , not got any health issues , what are the good folk on here doing , going or staying in the U.K. , thanks in advance Pete 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Definitely staying in the UK. You have to think about what you would do if taken ill over there and unable to get home, even if allowed onto the ferry or chunnel, which I wouldn't bank on. In worst case one of you could be stuck on a site for months until the other recovered in hospital. Would you be insured?

Edited by MalH
Typo
  • Like 1

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are going mid August. Booked it all last year. Going to a quiet adult only site with individual pitch bathroom / toilet facilities. 


Coachman VIP 575. Mercedes ML 250 auto, One wife, three kids, five Grandkids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely going - 5 weeks in France in August and September .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Staying in the UK this year. Cancelled 2 weeks in June/July and got full redund. We always do Hull/Zeebrugge and this crossing is still not available for non freight, (and may never be available again):angry:


BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the risk of a local lockdown somewhere in France if the infections flare up?

 

Parts of Catalonia and  Galicia are already closed down in the same way as Leicester and Melbourne. Infections are low in France right now but who knows what might happen there too, and I wouldn't to be stuck on a campsite if that happens 

  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, moorgate said:

What's the risk of a local lockdown somewhere in France if the infections flare up?

 

Parts of Catalonia and  Galicia are already closed down in the same way as Leicester and Melbourne. Infections are low in France right now but who knows what might happen there too, and I wouldn't to be stuck on a campsite if that happens 

I can think of worse places to be stranded. 😎

  • I agree completely 1

Coachman VIP 575. Mercedes ML 250 auto, One wife, three kids, five Grandkids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We decided to give it a miss this year. The site has given us a credit note until September next year. Just as well as Mrs TD has been diagnosed with breast cancer and is currently undergoing chemo which would have meant cancelling anyway. Looking forward to a month in the Dordogne next June and July. Good luck if you’re going. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tunningdrew,  thinking of your lovely wife , wish I could help,  puts things into prospective , pete

  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was due to go down to Biarritz for 5 weeks from 1st Aug. Campsite and ferry to Santander all booked. I cancelled it in May and got full refunds from both.

 

I don't fancy the thought of trying to social distance in Biarritz, St Jean de Luz, Bayonne, etc at the height of the season.  I don't think the beaches will be any less crowded than usual. That's not my idea of relaxation


Volvo XC60 Momentum Pro D4 pulling an Elddis Crusader Mistral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We would have been returning from our 4 week stay in France tomorrow.  Cancelled the two booked sites a little while ago. One gave a full refund, the other the statutory insurance backed credit note valid for 18 months, but with a full cash refund if not used (we were offered a refund less booking fees, but intend to go next year so chose the credit option).

Getting a refund from Eurotunnel was not so easy, but they did finally agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We had booked almost evrything for a 5 week trip to France. We decided in April ito quit and recover what we could. We have credit notes for 2021 from 2 French sites who were both very cooperative, a point blank refusal to refund or postpone from 1 Castels site who will not use in future (should I say which one?), a refusal to give credit or postpone from CMC for the bargain ferry deposit (only £75), a refund in full without question from Red Penant. Loss = about €300. We could have gone to France later but when we made our decision in April we were being cautious. No regrets as "we will be back" as Arny said.

Edited by Ern
typo

Ern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're off end of next week for a 10 nt stay down to a site 30 mins from Limoges.  Had the ferry booked before Christmas and to'd and fro'd about going then thought sod it.  Found a lovely looking site down by the river where the site has halved its occupancy to just 30 plots of their normal 75.  We're being given keys to our own ablution cubicle for the stay and their general hygiene/sanitising policy impressed us, so were going for it with the kids.  Will its be risk free?  Of course not, but I will certainly mitigate the risk as much as possible with rigorous hygiene regimes for the journey and during our stay and I personally feel the benefit mentally for the family outweighs the risk. 

 

Many may not agree with that and that's absolutely fine, you do you, I'll do me, our needs will be different and we will run our lives accordingly.  

 

At the end of the day, do your own risk assessment and if you're happy to go with the risk, do it, don't make your choice based on what others think you should or should not do.

 

 

  • I agree completely 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phoned CMC, RP will not cover cancellation due to COVID but it will cover you if I'll from it whilst away. Sounds like a sound option as hopefully would get family and kit back if the worst happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jiffy176 said:

RP will not cover cancellation due to COVID but it will cover you if I'll from it whilst away.

 

That sounds to be a fair deal.   Red Pennant will be available from tomorrow (9th July)


Citroen C5 Exclusive Estate+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

 

That sounds to be a fair deal.   Red Pennant will be available from tomorrow (9th July)

 

It sounds a great deal to me.  I'm quite surprised RP will cover Covid as, I'm told, most travel insurance will not unless the policy was in force before it all kicked off.

 

We will rely on our Travel Insurance for health etc since policy is from early January but, as always, use RP for the car and van. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Squash said:

 

It sounds a great deal to me.  I'm quite surprised RP will cover Covid as, I'm told, most travel insurance will not unless the policy was in force before it all kicked off.

 

We will rely on our Travel Insurance for health etc since policy is from early January but, as always, use RP for the car and van. 

It's normally only 15 to 20 quid more for the health cover from experience, like you I have an annual Policy but for the extra always have the RP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ern said:

We have credit notes for 2021 from 2 French sites who were both very cooperative, a point blank refusal to refund or postpone from 1 Castels site who will not use in future (should I say which one?),

Ern

After doing some research on this it is my understanding that following French government legislation campsites (and other leisure organisations) are legally obliged to give a 18 month credit note, with an automatic cash refund after this period if it is not used. If the organisation goes bankrupt payment will be received via a compulsory insurance scheme.

I could probably dig out a link to the French government website if needed, but French residents on this forum may help.

Clive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CliveB said:

Ern

After doing some research on this it is my understanding that following French government legislation campsites (and other leisure organisations) are legally obliged to give a 18 month credit note, with an automatic cash refund after this period if it is not used. If the organisation goes bankrupt payment will be received via a compulsory insurance scheme.

I could probably dig out a link to the French government website if needed, but French residents on this forum may help.

Clive

This is my understanding as well. We had the same from CenterParcs who we booked through the .fr site as it was cheaper. 

I believe this is French law and not something the site owners have a lot of say in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CliveB and Jiffy 176. Thanks for your response. The site involved are actually (just) open for our booked arrival date, but with some facilities not accessible. We had booked the site as one of several for our tour. We would not go to France at this time (now) and this site closes early September so a postponement for later in the year is not possible. They refuse to transfer our booking to next year and have now advised us our booking is cancelled with no refund. I think they are probably legally in the clear of the French law because they are actually open. Typical unreasonable Castels attitude in my opinion. 


Ern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ern said:

CliveB and Jiffy 176. Thanks for your response. The site involved are actually (just) open for our booked arrival date, but with some facilities not accessible. We had booked the site as one of several for our tour. We would not go to France at this time (now) and this site closes early September so a postponement for later in the year is not possible. They refuse to transfer our booking to next year and have now advised us our booking is cancelled with no refund. I think they are probably legally in the clear of the French law because they are actually open. Typical unreasonable Castels attitude in my opinion. 

I think you should say which site.  It's not a good recommendation that they haven't even offered a compromise solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As simply a matter of fact without judgement:

Austria Innsbruck - Ferienparadies Natterer See voucher valid to Dec 21.  No offer of a refund made.

Italy Lake Garda - Camping Tiglio refund and offer of a bottle of wine if we return next year provided we chat with the owner to improve his English!

France - Serre Poncon - Le Petit Liou voucher for 2021.  No offer of refund made.

France - Lyon - Camping Les Barolles.  Full refund with really nice letter to say completely understood our position.   Very impressed will use in future. 

France - Langres - Lac de La Liez.  Voucher for 2021 no refund offer. 

 

All other sites in Belgium, Germany and France, although we had not paid any deposit, took the time and trouble to reply to our letters cancelling the reservation.  

 

We fully intend to follow our planned trip for this year in 2021 if possible.  Of course we will take account of the way each site has responded, particularly to support those who supported us. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/07/2020 at 10:44, Ern said:

We had booked almost evrything for a 5 week trip to France. We decided in April ito quit and recover what we could. We have credit notes for 2021 from 2 French sites who were both very cooperative, a point blank refusal to refund or postpone from 1 Castels site who will not use in future (should I say which one?), a refusal to give credit or postpone from CMC for the bargain ferry deposit (only £75), a refund in full without question from Red Penant. Loss = about €300. We could have gone to France later but when we made our decision in April we were being cautious. No regrets as "we will be back" as Arny said.

Even though we had been refused a credit for next year, I have pesisted with e mails demanding and reasoning. This afternoon we have been sent a credit note. Its not the correct amount but I think thats a simple mistake and have requested it to be rectified. Good news!


Ern

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just came back from France yesterday. Perhaps my short account of my experience in the thread below is of help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still can't make owe minds up whether to go to France this summer , might just wait a few days before we are due to go and book what we can . Surely the French campsites will be fairly empty, any of you good folk clearer on what you have decided to do , thanks pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...