Sign in to follow this  
Ray Miller

Dometic toilet flush not working

The manual says change the fuse as no of tge meds are lit on top of the toilet and flush does not work.

9 minutes ago, Ray Miller said:

The manual says change the fuse as no of tge meds are lit on top of the toilet and flush does not work.

I guess you meant 'the LEDS are lit'. If they are lit then it might suggest a fuse has not failed. There might be a fuse in the cassette compartment you could check.

When our toilet would not flush it was the pump that had seized and needed replacing.

I'll second that, they do quite regularly seize, try to gain access to the pump at one end and then try spinning it with a small screwdriver.

Dave.

Our comedy dometic flush has also failed, if this is dometics idea of improving the caravan toilet maybe they should organise a work experience day at Thetford!

On the subject of the fuse,why does it tell you there is one in the coachman handbook but not say where or how to take apart the toilet to get to it,ok,rant over

• I agree completely 1

We had a 2015 Lunar with this toilet (never had another!) the problems around that time were condensation forming on the back of the circuit board and the board needing replacement. 

If your caravan is much later than this the above maybe irrelevant, either way I would always empty the flush tank when not in use for that and the sticking impeller problems.

Always empty the flush tank when not in use but you have to use the flush to empty the tank as no drain pipe fitted to these as on thetfords, genius!

I have posted on here before about the useless Dometic toilet fitted to our  (then) new Knaus Starclass 695. Failure of the flush was the final straw after also experiencing continual leaks from the blade, the handle jamming in the open position, useless tiny wheels, a design that meant needing three hands to empty it whilst pressing the air release valve etc etc etc.

Even when the flush was working it was pathetic by Thetford standards.

It cost me £650 to have it taken out and a Thetford fitted instead.  Touch wood - not a single problem since.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

I saw a post recently where someone had ripped out his Dometic toilet in his brand new van and fitted a new Thetford one instead., (it may have been you richardandros). It seemed a fairly easy job by all accounts and all that was needed waere minimal tools, (Screwdriver and knife to cut the sealant). Pretty damning report of a modern piece of kit, I'm glad I've got a Thetford.

Dave.

It's not a good design, our flush packed in a couple of years ago but I eventually managed to trace the fault to a motorised valve which was actually quite easy to swap out. During the strip down I also took the flush ring out and cleaned the nozzles and also removed a pretty pointless flow restrictor which improved it slightly, still not a lot of power though.

Our's may be slightly different from yours though, it it flushes from the inboard tank using the main pump.

Hymer 545 Luxusline hauled by Audi SQ5 plus.

so toilet now fixed, flush pump had failed, not quite a year old and not heavily used, occurred to me that it is recommended to only use water pumps when immersed in water to lubricate and cool, as you have to use the pump on these to empty the flush tank is this why they fail so often or are they just junk ?