Jezzerb

Back to our caravan post Lockdown and even more in love; Bucanneer

oment ago

Add bookmark

There is far too much negative press about Elddis caravans; so let's redress the balance-we are out for the first time after we got sent home from Sutton on Sea when lock down first started. We have bought a Cadac during lockdown and bought all the quick release bits only to open the cover to find there is the quick release adapter tie wrapped to the bbq point. This caravan is expensive-yes but considering you get and luxurious 8foot wide caravan with waste hog, onboard tank, whale mains adapter, top quality yuasa battery, knife and fork tray that is better than our houses, EP levelling and underfloor heating, - you can tell we just love it but seriously what a great caravan-we are so glad we put our money here. Oh and faults-mmmm we're fussy- but oh yes, a window rubber has bulged in the heat. Pretty good when you'r e ocd!!!

Oh it’s not just Elddis caravans that get the bad press, all the others do as well! 

The problem is that if someone has a gripe with a caravan they seem to feel compelled to tell everyone else, if they are happy they just get on with enjoying it ! I am sure the vast majority of caravans rarely, if ever, give any cause for concern, but that doesn’t make for good press content! 

• Like 2

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

I've mentioned a few times I've had 3 vans in my caravan lifetime that have had problems i.e. leaks  all 3 vans from different manufacturers and never named one but, it wouldn't put me off any particular manufacturer if the van suited me.

• Like 1

love our cruiser too, cant wait till we get back in it, in ten days time,hopefully ill be laid up watching the football on sky q box with the air con on, panicking on wether the ice creams will stay frozen and the beers cold as its boiling outside:D

• Like 1

We never had an issue in 3 years with our Affinity 550 - it was a fantastic van

• Like 1

In terms of quality, Elddis have seemed to have been on the end of some bad press over the years but I for one would be very interested to know if that has improved  since Hymer’s takeover.  Have they changed any of their manufacturing methods since that takeover and do we think quality has improved as a result? 

I love the Elddis layouts and want to love the vans,  but I’m always put off by the (peeling) Strips of sticky tape on the wallboard and the exposed plastic joints used to hold up the furniture. That’s no different to Coachman who use exactly the same methods but you don’t see that in Swift or Bailey vans. 

I’ve owned 3 Swift vans and very happy with the quality of each. But I’m not a fan of their layouts and would consider buying an Elddis. 

in fact, my Dad has one and has had no issues apart from third party supplied parts. 

• Like 1

Yep. 1st trip out this year and we are pitched up in Cornwall in Commodore we've had for 3 years. Just love it.

Magnum porch and cosy corner up just as we are expecting 10 days of good weather. What's not to like?

Perhaps the cracked frame on rear Heki roof light dripping water on wife's side of bed?

Nah, fixed it temporarily and dealer is on the case with a warranty fix.

Not dented our enthusiasm one bit. It's the lifestyle we bought into and we'll enjoy it no matter what.

GB.

• Like 1

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

Good man !!! 

The weekend looks to be really really good weather wise! We are off to Wells for a few days from 19th, Yipeeeeee

• Like 1

We are of to Clumber Park for the inaugural trip in the new Commodore. Can't wait! Not really bothered about site facilities - we will use ours to the full. Mrs YG wouldn't use them anyway! Will report back on how it goes. Wine and beer in the fridge, dog walking, telly and not much else. Excellent!

• Like 1

Ah yes, the pleasure of the very first trip away in a new caravan, one of life’s little pleasures that’s hard to beat.

Bon Voyage mon ami!!! And enjoy the wine ;)

• I agree completely 1

Another in agreement with these posts.

We are in a National Park in Spain, daytime 30deg, nights 20deg. Beautiful views, fully stocked bodega, aircon working well.

What more could anyone ask?

A cooler temperature? 

Rain? 

• Haha 2

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We're just finishing a week at a beautiful site on the Staffordshire/Derbyshire border. The weather has been variable, from bright and sunny to howling wind and rain, but we've been dry and cosy throughout in our van. We're on a fully serviced pitch, and we've used our facilities throughout our stay. I love taking a shower in our van, then stepping out to hear the sound of a downpour outside, knowing I can just get dressed and sit down to breakfast, thankful that I don't have to trudge to the site showers in Mac and wellies, in the rain.

Now I'm just sitting looking at the lovely view here. Then off to Cumbria tomorrow for our second week. 

So far we haven't had any issues with our van other than the Alko squealy brakes, sorted by the dealer, everything else is just fine, here's hoping it stays that way for as long as possible. The layout of our van is perfect for our needs, very well designed imo when I compare it to some other vans, plus it was within budget and the size restrictions of our driveway. So yes, it's all good so far. :)

We're just finishing a week at a beautiful site on the Staffordshire/Derbyshire border. 

CMC or C&CC Leek ?

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

I don't care what the weather is going to like just need to get away in my new to me van.....only spent 2 nights in it before lockdown 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cheltenham Caravanner said:

CMC or C&CC Leek ?

Neither, Upper Hurst Farm, near Hartington. 25 hs caravan or motorhome pitches plus tents on the green in the middle. All the hard pitches are occupied tonight, also quite a few tents. Daughter is watching a DVD in the bedroom, the central bathroom (with two proper doors) separates us, creates a sound barrier, and gives us privacy. Our bed is made up, with a roll up memory foam mattress that we've had for ages, to make it comfy. We have wine and chocolate. All is perfect. :)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Susan D said:

Neither, Upper Hurst Farm, near Hartington. 25 hs caravan or motorhome pitches plus tents on the green in the middle. All the hard pitches are occupied tonight, also quite a few tents. Daughter is watching a DVD in the bedroom, the central bathroom (with two proper doors) separates us, creates a sound barrier, and gives us privacy. Our bed is made up, with a roll up memory foam mattress that we've had for ages, to make it comfy. We have wine and chocolate. All is perfect. :)

Is it Fridays the chip van goes to Hartington?

We use a CL not far from there, Brundclife Farm. Walk along the trail to Parsley Hay for a Coffee and just down from you is the Manifold trail. Nice sandwich place at the start and good team room by a stream part way along. Visit to Thors cave, climb up the left side and sit on top and what a wonderful view.  Past Parsley Hay you come to a gate across the path and a bridge over the top, the pub up on the left does good food.  Also visit the cheese shop in Hartington.

macafee2

17 hours ago, yorkyguy said:

Wine and beer in the fridge, wife walking, telly and not much else. Excellent!

Quite agree. Local resident told me Mevagissey was rammed last weekend, so we'll be avoiding that. Great weather down here and just nice to be actually out in the van at last.

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.