Sign in to follow this  
BM Bairn

Isabella query

Some observations / discussion points following our first trip away. Some of these will be down to us still learning the ropes and things that can be adjusted going forward.

Putting the awning up is quick thanks to the single inflation point.

We found pegging the awning a bit difficult owing to the gravel pitch being quite loose and some of our screwed pegs wouldn’t get a firm fixing but we eventually got round this. Pegs along the front we’re into grass and were ideal.

When the curtains were closed at night we found it a bit annoying that, due to the sloping sides mainly the front of the awning, the curtains hang in the way leaving a gap at the sides. Was ok where the veranda beam is.

We experienced some gales and heavy rain a couple of times. Was worried the awning was going to take off during the night but it stood firm and all intact in the morning. The seams at the bottom corners of the roof leaked that night. We thought we’d maybe over inflated so let some air out, but also mentioned to us that awnings need an initial soaking to “proof” them. Whatever it was was completely watertight thereafter so all good.

Due to the trim along the bottom of the van sticking out a bit it causes a slight gap against the inflated vertical beams against the van. We were careful not to over inflate these.

We are yet to work out how best to coordinate the sections of “sod cloth” under the uprights at each corner and at the junction with the Caravan skirt to make more weathertight.

As mentioned above, it was much easier to pack away by removing the panels first. Only after we were home did it fully deflate to allow proper folding in the bag.

Much of this is our learning curve and will not be an issue in the future.

All in all, very happy with this awning.

• Like 1

Towing: 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Tow Car: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

We also thought that the curtains hung in the way but my wife figured it out, if you look in your kit for the awning you should find 2 pieces of white elastic with a plastic toggle at each end, now look at the black tabs for the tie backs, 2 half way up and 2 lower down, there are slits in them, the toggles go through these to hold in the curtains at the bottom. And no i didn,t see any instructions for this either.

Agree with the vertical beam inflation, too much pressure and it levers itself off. Surely the gap between top and bottom rail is roughly the same on all caravans so can,t see why the beam could not be a little shorter to fit the gap and make a better seal, maybe Isabella should look at this for future "upgrades".

• Like 2

Ah, I did wonder if those elastic things were something to do with it, thanks for confirming.

Totally agree regarding your other points too Pickard57. At least I know it not just me haha!

Towing: 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Tow Car: 2020 BMW X3 M40i