Over 70 driving licence reminder

Every three years I have to renew my driving licence because I am over 70, and I post a reminder on here in case anyone has forgotten to check the expiracy date of their licence. 

As a further reminder, the DVLA does not send out reminders and if you do not renew your licence, you will not legally be allowed to drive after your 70th birthday.

I didn't have to have a passport pic since my passport has expired so you don't have to worry about an up to date photograph. Have your national insurance number and your mothers maiden name handy.

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

Surprisingly, the whole process was plain sailing and its free.

9 minutes ago, BOAC said:

It would appear that this must be a mistake by the DVLA.

Nothing on a Government website is supposed to be easy or free. Please send the Government a blank cheque so that they can put this mistake right before we all jump on the bandwagon.  :ph34r:

• Haha 3

Trevor.

You have to remember at 73, 76, 79, 82, 85, 88.

• Thanks 1

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Hmmm. My mother is 75 and I don't ever remember her renewing her driving licence.

I'd best check the expiry date on it sharpish!!!!

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

36 minutes ago, BOAC said:

As a further reminder, the DVLA does not send out reminders and if you do not renew your licence, you will not legally be allowed to drive after your 70th birthday.

Are you saying that the DVLA doesn't send out reminders? I was 70 in January this year and the DVLA sent me a reminder to reapply for my licence.

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

28 minutes ago, Townie said:

Are you saying that the DVLA doesn't send out reminders? I was 70 in January this year and the DVLA sent me a reminder to reapply for my licence.

My understanding is that a reminder is sent out 90 days before your 70th birthday, but not every three years after that. When I was filling out the form I believe I read that. However, regardless of what should or does happen is irrelevant really. What is important is that drivers are aware that the licence requires renewal every three years.;)

1 hour ago, BOAC said:

Every three years I have to renew my driving licence because I am over 70, and I post a reminder on here in case anyone has forgotten to check the expiracy date of their licence. 

I didn't have to have a passport pic since my passport has expired so you don't have to worry about an up to date photograph. Have your national insurance number and your mothers maiden name handy.

on the link that you provided , under Start Now, click on other ways to apply and you will see  that they will send the form to you 90 days before your birthday. My OH has had letters every 3 years since.   BTW  the photo needs renewing every 10 years.

Further down the page there is info on Covid19

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, joanie said:

on the link that you provided , under Start Now, click on other ways to apply and you will see  that they will send the form to you 90 days before your birthday. My OH has had letters every 3 years since.   BTW  the photo needs renewing every 10 years.

Further down the page there is info on Covid19

Thanks Joanie, I stand corrected. 

x

• Like 1

Having said all the above, my birthday is in August and I have not yet received a reminder which I understand should be received 90 days before my birthday. This is similar to our neighbour whose birthday is in September and he has not received a reminder either. 

Most odd considering the DVLA have my correct address and birthday on file.

So, I do feel justified in posting this reminder.

Just out of curiosity, as anyone else NOT received a reminder when it should be due?

BOAC, I think 90 days is the earliest that a reminder is sent out … it’s usually 8 weeks … so if your birthday is late-August you should get it any day now.

John

Thanks John. Its on the 5th. August.

Just now, BOAC said:

Thanks John. Its on the 5th. August.

I think they’re leaving it a bit late - maybe due to staff shortages because of you-know-what.

John

• Thanks 1

H'mmm. Perhaps, but I am 76 and never had a reminder hence my posting. Very odd.

I would have thought that it was computer generated but perhaps it needs someone to push the button, 

• Haha 2

Applied for my renewal a couple of weeks ago and it was three days before it arrived. Amazing.

5 hours ago, Townie said:

Same here, although mine was 2 years earlier.

I was sent a reminder some time before it was due.

My missus applied for her licence renewal about two months ago and has not yet received her new licence.

I couldn’t put her down as second driver when renewing the insurance for my SL as I couldn’t produce her licence.

We’ve just put the delay down to the Covid crisis causing a backlog.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

I got a reminder for my 70th birthday and my 73rd. Not sure where the idea it does not comes from. Possibly it misses some, so it is best to be aware of the date.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

NEVER rely solely on getting a reminder for anything.  Sometimes they go astray in the post, sometimes they go amiss via email, sometimes the sending computer fails to send.

Funniest thing I ever saw was a new work colleague - highly educated, extremely intelligent - ranting and raving because his GP had not sent him a reminder about vaccinations that needed doing again. Without said vaccinations he would not be safely able to take the luxury holiday he had booked.

He then discovered that the only way he could get the boosters in time for the departure was to pay for a private clinic.

He was so angry about the "failure of the system"- and not helped when all us hoi-polloi happily chanted, "It's YOUR responsibility to keep track".

(Just to add - the GP receptionist, after listening to his telephone tirade about what happened to the reminder - told him that they never sent reminders about vaccinations that were solely for travel abroad and it was not down to the NHS to monitor peoples holiday habits).

Edited by 2seaside
added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
On 03/07/2020 at 21:46, Orange said:

Applied for my renewal a couple of weeks ago and it was three days before it arrived. Amazing.

But I didn’t get a reminder. My wife did last year.

• 2 months later...
On 03/07/2020 at 15:18, BOAC said:

It's all changed again, click on the link  above.   

My OH is due for his licence renewal and  we haven't had a reminder this time, however there is an extension in place , again click on the link above. We renewed his licence on line  and received it 3 days later in the post.

It's not so easy if you wish to retain all  the categories on your licence.

• I agree completely 1

2015 SorentoKX2 pulling a 2011 Sterling Eccles Moonstone

1 hour ago, joanie said:

It's all changed again, click on the link  above.   

My OH is due for his licence renewal and  we haven't had a reminder this time, however there is an extension in place , again click on the link above. We renewed his licence on line  and received it 3 days later in the post.

:goodpost:

Thanks for that Joanie, I clicked the link.

Mine was due for renewal in October and yes I could have got the 11 months extension, but thought that whilst I'm on the site I might as well do it now, it costs nowt.😆

I'll see how long it takes, it advises 2 weeks and I'll report back with how long it actually takes.

• Like 1

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

My OH licence was renewed in August 2019 and expires in November 2022. He was 74 in the August and didn't turn 75 until the November !!

• I do not understand 1