What have you been offered for not using your static caravan during CV 19 lock down ?

On 18/07/2020 at 09:53, Scorpio said:

Hi, just found our invoice for this years site fees, the VAT is listed seperately at 20% and comes to a few hundred quid, so I will see what is offered by the site, if anything.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/revenue-and-customs-brief-10-2020-temporary-reduced-rate-of-vat-for-hospitality-holiday-accommodation-and-attractions/guidance-on-the-temporary-reduced-rate-of-vat-for-hospitality-holiday-accommodation-and-attractions

Check out bullet point 3....(affected supplies)

They only have to pay 5% VAT to the government.....

I've just received a bill from the site ....(as the every other caravan owner ).....Charging  the full 20 % ...

Thats 15% off.. every bill..Off every  caravan owner .....In the pocket of the site owners !...

Thank you very much !!!

Edited by PeterR
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would expect a full refund for each month but would accept a credit for future use.

I would not expect anything. It was not the sites idea to lock down, it was the Government who mandated it, but the site still needed looking after with no income from rented units, and the annua

£85!!!  We pay £25. We had an email today telling us the site will be crediting us with the VAT refund. We won’t receive cash but it can be used for the electricity bill, gas cylinders  and/or ne

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/07/2020 at 19:58, PeterR said:

As we start to go back to our caravans (static sites).. I was just wondering

"what are caravan owners being offered by way of compensation for not being allowed to use your caravan during the 3 months lock down period ?"

Hello.. Parks may argue that because your caravan is sited it is still taking up ground and they are maintaining the park.. In my opinion they should be offering some kind of reduction as a good will gesture for owners.

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting ?...Our park owners have given us an extra free month (February the coldest month ? ) ..To use our caravan.....

But no mention of a free drain down ?.... ( They charge £85 per drain down )

Doesn't bother me as I do my own ......But a lot of people rely on the park to do it !

On 24/08/2020 at 19:59, PeterR said:

They only have to pay 5% VAT to the government.....

I've just received a bill from the site ....(as the every other caravan owner ).....Charging  the full 20 % ...

Thats 15% off.. every bill..Off every  caravan owner .....In the pocket of the site owners !...

Thank you very much !!!

The VAT reduction is to help the business, if they choose to charge the full 20% on statics they benefit financially off every user, and as a captive audience they will capitalise on this.

For touring sites they have to balance the financial benefit the 15% extra profit makes against the potential reduction in occupancies of people going elsewhere to the sites that do offer and pass on the lower VAT rate.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

On 24/08/2020 at 19:59, PeterR said:

Thank you very much !!!

If they are charging 20% VAT, It will go to the government. They cannot pocket it

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

40 minutes ago, JanandJay said:

If they are charging 20% VAT, It will go to the government. They cannot pocket it

Sorry but the VAT rate to the government is 5% so they in effect benefit by being able to charge the same price but pocket the difference.

If they  produce a VAT invoice then they have to show the 5%.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting months ahead ?..... November is traditionally the month site fees are sent out ?....Bearing in mind business VAT reduction is here until February 2021 !....

I wonder eh ?

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Garrison said:

Hi I am a new poster.

I have read the posts regarding VAT and "site/pitch fees" fees .

Firstly I understand VAT can only be charged at the rate applicable at the time of invoice, dishonest site sites may increase the base figure but the VAT rate shown must be the rate applicable at that time. The VAT Rate changed 15 July (I think) reduced to 5% ( so that vat rate should apply at that rate from that date)

1) With regards to site pitch fees and what you are paying for is mute, the Law ( as highlighted by the CMA ) states that if a Contract, Agreement or Sale can not be fulfilled or changes substantially it is Frustrated, and a refund is due, the Site is Closed so it could not be any easier to translate to a refund is due, the CMA also state fault or blame is not an issue in this matter. For the 100+ days the Contract was frustrated VAT has been overcharged @20%.

Site owners have received rate relief for the whole year, plus other measures in compensation.  2) Also site owners are responsible for their own debts and outgoings, 3) Caravan owners pay (well over the odds) for what they get , 4) and site owners making profit for many many years do not share in good fortune the rest of the time,  5)but some idiots have sympathy for them when the have the first bad year ever. 6)To summarise, the sites were closed, the matter was frustrated, refunds are due. 7) I suggest all static caravan owners contact their MP to sort the matter out. 8) Park owner are taking advantage of individuals knowing that alone they have no leverage.

I have asked the VAT for a definitive answer on the VAT subject, and our MP is asking questions of the Treasury  

1) I would expect that some where in the T&C and contract that there will be a clause along the lines of ................" the owners can not be held responsible for matters out of their control"................ and on that basis Covid is no different from floods or access roads being blocked etc.

2) Yes, but where do the funds come from to pay their outgoings ?

3) Caravan owners pay what they feel is acceptable for their holiday, if they think it's too expensive they have a choice, go to somewhere else to suit their pocket.

4) It is a business, their business, they need to make a profit to survive like any other business, that some years are lean and others are not, why should they share their income on a good year,they are not a  co-operative, do Cadburys etc. reduce the price of their goods after a good year, nope. Conversely, should a business you work for who have a bonus scheme from which you have profited fall on hard times, would you offer to have your salary reduced till things get better......................I thought not.

5) Nice..............calling folk idiots for having sympathy ...............I don't think.

There will be many thousands of your so called  ' idiots ' who have a get on great and are friends with their site owner and rightly have sympathy for their plight.

6) See 1)

7) Could I suggest that there are far more pressing things at this time in the world than wasting yours and others time, chewing the fat over the vat issue, if you actually read and comprehend many of the replies above, you will find that the vat issue has been answered.

8) You should qualify that with ' some ' , as in all walks of life there are good and bad apples, some have given refunds, some haven't, it's their choice, simple as that, the same applies to touring sites also.

By the way, have you been offered a discount on your pitch fees, if so how much was it ?

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Garrison said:

Extracted:

With regards to site pitch fees and what you are paying for is mute, the Law ( as highlighted by the CMA ) states that if a Contract, Agreement or Sale can not be fulfilled or changes substantially it is Frustrated, and a refund is due, the Site is Closed so it could not be any easier to translate to a refund is due, the CMA also state fault or blame is not an issue in this matter.

End of extracted:

A substantial part of the contract IS being fulfilled, regardless of whether or not the site is closed.

It is caused a "pitch fee" for a reason.

(Are you, by any chance, the person I read about in the paper who is asking for a council tax refund because the library and swimming pool was closed?).

Ohhh deary me Garrison, you post a reply to a thread and when anyone replies in terms you don't agree with you get all rattled 🤷‍♂️

In your  reply to me you have said, I presume, due to you being unable to understand my questions fully:

..................(you are starting to worry me)............Are you Chinese ??....................The VAT issue has not been resolved, and if you don't want to debate DONT.........................Is it Mandarin  ?

By the way, your attempts to insult, be-little, upset or rattle me, don't and won't work, never have, never will, they are only words on my screen.

Also in your reply to me and in your reply to 2seaside..............IF A CONTRACT OR AGREEMENT IS ALTERED TO ANY DEGREE THAT CONTRACT IS FRUSTRATED.....................is not necessary to, as you say "   i will write in big for you "  ..................... using upper case or capitals is tantamount to shouting on forums.

Do I sense sour grapes ?🤔

To Mods and Admin, please leave the thread and posts up, it's a salutary lesson on how not to post especially as a newbie, it may help others. 😁😉

Edited by Silversurf

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Something to add to the VAT question. For the 2020 season for the static that we use, the fees were billed before the pandemic and VAT was charged and paid at 20%. We have had the letter of notice saying what the fees will be for 2021 and since VAT is now at 5% the bill has the VAT to be paid at 5%. So whilst we did not receive or expect VAT back for this year, we are benefiting next year by being billed whilst VAT is still at 5%. I wonder if those who want a VAT refund for this year, will not want to pay an increase if the VAT goes back up to 20% during the season.

As an aside, our static site gave a refund of fees for the 3 month lock down when they were closed but for the current 4 week lock down we have been told there will not be a refund. Our site does not close normally until mid Jan for 6 weeks but they have said it is now out of the main season and I also think they can not afford to give any more back and have mentioned as follows: 

-----------------------------------------------------

We hope you understand that the financial impact of Coronavirus on the Club has been significant, we continue to have costs to cover even though we are closed, our Site Managers will continue to be on-site, maintaining the grounds, facilities, and the security of the site. 

--------------------------------------------------------------

This article (link below) sort-of amused me... 

While I can imagine that all her plants dying was upsetting, not sure it warrants compensation from the Government.

https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/money/caravan-owner-anger-site-fees-coronavirus-lockdown-559578

• 2 weeks later...

We received a letter after lockdown 1 was lifted in July 2020 stating in writing No " SITE FEE " INCREASE for next year " (2020/21)..we have now received next year's fees (2020/21) and yes !.....We are asked to pay "the same" as last year !....But what they have done is Incorporated the 5% VAT into the overall bill ( unlike previous years where 20% VAT is listed separate ).....So effectively they have increased the annual fee !...

Yes we are " not paying anymore overall.!!!!".   ....! But if the site fees were NOT increased and we had been charged VAT at 5% .....The overall price would have been less !

My concern is now !.....How much will the fees increase the following year (2021 /22)

• 2 months later...

Here's an interesting article ......I think if enough disgruntled caravan owners complain then maybe ...(...Just maybe .....)....Something may happen ...

I'm NOT holding my breath though ?..

https://theconsumerlawyer.blog/2021/02/06/are-caravan-park-owners-breaching-consumer-protection-laws/

the Consumer Lawyer https://theconsumerlawyer.blog/contact/

Edited by PeterR