Bed slats not going in all way - new caravan -knack?

We took delivery of our first ever caravan today. We've been playing around with it, and made the front bed up. Now the pull out slats won't go back in all the way. They're stopping maybe a foot short, as if something is stopping them. This is a brand new van and was obviously OK before we pulled out the slats. I'm thinking there's a knack we're missing. We've pulled them back out all the way, and slowly pushed it back, we've jiggled and pulled and messed around it, but it won't go all the way home. Any ideas guys? 

It's a Bailey Phoenix 650 I should say 

We had the same problem with our Lunar. We used to take the drawer out of the front chest where the slats go and manually push them through with a hand in the space where the drawer goes.  Someone suggested polishing the slats to make them glide in. 

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Lady Bird said:

We had the same problem with our Lunar. We used to take the drawer out of the front chest where the slats go and manually push them through with a hand in the space where the drawer goes.  Someone suggested polishing the slats to make them glide in. 

Hope this helps.

I've managed to do that to get the board back in for now, but it's getting caught the same way every time so it's not really viable to do that every morning we're away. There's a video here what's happening 

Have you pulled the bed fully out? There is a chance one or more of the slats may have come out of the runner or is at an angle.

Do not pull the bed out fast and do not push it back in fast.  

I don't even know how to remove the draws, I squeeze under the bed and get to the slats that way.

macafee2

Check the width of the slats to see if one of them is a bit too wide so it can not drop down. Also if not going in square and at an angle, the diagonal width is marginally more.

Rather than push them all in from the front in one go I used to feed them in gradually pushing them in a couple at a time. Gives them a chance to stack themselves better

• I agree completely 1

Try the candle trick,  as suggested by joanie.

the drawer is like normal drawers so taking it out should be easy enough. 

This is one of the.many little irritations of owning a caravan. We left the bed made up. 

The wood to wood drawers in our bedroom were sticking over 10 years ago. I used 

Free n Easy Silicone Lubricant For Wooden Furniture 35ml from Lakeland. A little goes a long way. 20 drawers and plenty left. Never had to repeat the treatment.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

We have a Bailey Unicorn 4 and had the same issue.  I found that the best method is to slowly concertina all the slats back together first, ensuring that all of the straps in-between are hanging down. Then push the slats back squarely under the drawers slowly and listen to each slat dropping one at a time and stretching the straps back out neatly.  Stops everything gathering up and getting trapped in the tight gap.  Sounds laborious, but takes seconds.

We had the dealer check ours at the first service and they trimmed the top of the rear wall in the cupboard below the bed/drawers.  Works much better now.

Hope that assists.

Regards,

Dave O

• Like 1

We had same problem many years ago. Turned out to be a sheet of paper had found its way into the slat box, rumpled a bit and stopped the slats going in. 
easy to cure, once found a way to look in the box

Our lunar had this problem too,in the three years we had it I tried everything i could think of,no luck! The other problem was pulling it out,no matter how slow or careful i did it,the slats would often fall out ,not funny when tired,!

Now  we have Coachman where we pull solid frame out from side as opposed to front,what a dream!no more swearing!!

3 hours ago, Easy T said:

The wood to wood drawers in our bedroom were sticking over 10 years ago. I used 

Free n Easy Silicone Lubricant For Wooden Furniture 35ml from Lakeland. A little goes a long way. 20 drawers and plenty left. Never had to repeat the treatment.

Silicone Lube is great for this job and for awning rails too !    :)

John.

• Like 1

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help. I think I'll try the lubricant idea first, see if that's a fix without having try and modify any of the slats for width. The 'free n easy' stuff from Lakeland sounds good, but is there any difference to say the WD40 silicone lubricant, which says it can be used on wood? I sadly don't have a Lakeland anywhere near me

37 minutes ago, philip697 said:

The 'free n easy' stuff from Lakeland sounds good, but is there any difference to say the WD40 silicone lubricant,

I doubt it other than applying. If there is a nozzle with the spray it should go where you want it too. 

1 hour ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

We had same problem many years ago. Turned out to be a sheet of paper had found its way into the slat box, rumpled a bit and stopped the slats going in. 
easy to cure, once found a way to look in the box

I have had that in the past also

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Silicone lube spray on the runners, the back of the runners before the drop, and anywhere else I thought might get friction. It's still not playing. It's ever so odd, after a few slats drop in the rest just start bunching up and don't drop in behind. Can't for the life of my see what might be stopping them. Very annoying for a brand new van.

Check there is nothing fowling it where it drops down. On a previous van we had a christmas card that would have been on the front windowsill fall down when we were packing up and it went down behind the central unit and interfered with the slats.

Alan

1 minute ago, Easy T said:

Check there is nothing fowling it where it drops down. On a previous van we had a christmas card that would have been on the front windowsill fall down when we were packing up and it went down behind the central unit and interfered with the slats.

I've tried to get my hand down there to check, but it's not easy. Maybe try and poke my phone back there and take a photo, could try that. Otherwise I think I'm going to get a bit forceful with the dealer about it

59 minutes ago, philip697 said:

I've tried to get my hand down there to check, but it's not easy. Maybe try and poke my phone back there and take a photo, could try that. Otherwise I think I'm going to get a bit forceful with the dealer about it

I either lifted the drawer unit off to access the base or got in through the side ..... cannot remember which

Alan

I had the same problem on my U3 Cadiz.  I managed to take a picture with my phone looking straight down the gap at the back of the drawers (when all the slats were pulled out) It turned out that objects in one of the drawers had bounced out and had fallen down the gap and was obstructing  the slats!