Whale Pump (Senior Moment)

Evening All 

So out on the first trip after lockdown. - Now I might have completely forgot this but when I submerge my Whale Pump into the Auquaroll and have the switch turned on inside it runs constantly 

This does not seem right?  I have to turn it off on the panel inside the van and back on as we need it

Is the Whale faulty?  

Images are the pump I have and with the switch in which it runs constantly 

Any input folks?

Cheers Trel

731EFC33-E730-4D93-8243-C0C9D486596A.jpeg

4AA20291-31BD-4864-BCCF-43571FC0A626.jpeg

It could be the pressure switch or the micro switch on taps that is faulty depending what system is fitted to you’re unit. 

Have you checked that your drain down valve is closed?    Is your water level in the Aquaroll going down while the pump is running?

Something is preventing water system pressurisation...  Pressure switch, valve or tap open or a leak.  

Edited by ReggiePerrin

This may seem daft  ,but  have you shut -off the drain tap! ?for the water heater.

So the train tap is definitely shut off 

7 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Have you checked that your drain down valve is closed?    Is your water level in the Aquaroll going down while the pump is running?

Something is preventing water system pressurisation...  Pressure switch, valve or tap open or a leak.  

Yes the drain tap is definitely down

Can’t seem to figure out what else it might be?

13 minutes ago, LifelessTrel said:

So the train tap is definitely shut off 

Yes the drain tap is definitely down

Can’t seem to figure out what else it might be?

in that case...

• If you leave the pump running with all taps and shower off, does the volume of water in the aquaroll reduce?    If yes look for a leak, if no...
  • Does water run as expected from the taps and shower?  If yes, pressure switch and/or non return valve.  If no...
  • Pump motor spinning but not lifting water.

Beyond that... ?

You may be able to borrow a pump to rule in or out yours being faulty.

Edited by ReggiePerrin

Water definitely going down in aquarollwhen pump running 

Taps seem to run as expected 

Whale outside keeps running have no idea why 🤷

Sometimes the pump will float on top of the water in the aquaroll, you can avoid this by making sure the aquaroll is realy full so putting in the pump makes it overflow

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Get on your hands and knees and look underneath the caravan, if water is running out of a pipe when the pump is on, your drain tap is open.

Ask me how I know :blush:

Edited by Artleknock

'I know' is just 'I Believe' with delusions of grandeur

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV 4H

Unicorn 4 Cadiz

Just now, Artleknock said:

Get on your hands and knees and look underneath the caravan, if water is running out of a pipe when the pump is on, your drain tap is open.

So done that 

No water coming out of the van with the tap in the current yellow position 

9 minutes ago, LifelessTrel said:

So side here are the 2 switches I see and their position

68BB4DFF-C312-48C0-AD83-6895D3CD77EB.jpeg

02551253-BD02-4198-8017-16191608EDFC.jpeg

I think the red tap in the first photo is the gas supply isolator for the water heater. It's in the "on" position, I have one just like it ;)

Retirement, the best job I've ever had. The only problem is, I don't get a day off.

You know you're an intellectual when you hear The William Tell Overture and you don't think of the Lone Ranger.

Yellow tap in the position you show is shut so it is not draining through there.

Is your system running via micro switches or a pressure switch?

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

2 minutes ago, KnausCol said:

Yellow tap in the position you show is shut so it is not draining through there.

Is your system running via micro switches or a pressure switch?

Hmm I am not 100% sure this is what else I see....

So I am puzzled 

76E07EF6-DF9C-4469-90F9-2485C85B5831.jpeg

That is the pressure switch

Put water on and adjust till water stops

So if Tap is closed 

When I turn on the pump water comes into taps as expected 

However the pump outside remains running until I turn it off at the mains inside 🤷

What would be the likley issue 

That looks like a pressure switch. Try adjusting that. If it is set to a pressure beyond what you pump can manage the pump would run continuously. Have a look here

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Going right back to basics.

When you connect up the pump and drop it in the aquaroll, with the yellow tap as in your photo in the closed position, as it is, and taps closed, when you activate the pump switch , the pump should run and start filling the water heater.

Open a hot tap and let the water run until no more air comes out as well as water, then shut the hot tap and open a cold tap until the water runs without air. Do this in turn to each tap in the van.

Then the pump should then run on for a short while to re pressurise the hot water tank, and shut off.

Your van runs on a pressure switch system which is controlled by the adjuster in your photo to the right of the blue inlet pipe. Adjust this to stop the pump, whichever way works , clockwise or anticlockwise.

These pressure switches are vulnerable to the power available to them and you may notice a difference between when hooked up to the mains power and when on battery alone.

Although nothing to do with the water system, the red tap in your photo is a gas isolation valve for the water heater, in its ON position.when turned so that the tap sits across the pipe it is OFF.

Edited by Brecon
  • Like 1

Trying out ours last week and had a constant dribble down the side of the van and a constant running pump. Spoke to our dealer who advised over pressure. So on their advise undid the 5 screws under the lift up flap and removed the plate, cleaned the non return valve, gave the spring a good clean put it all back, whilst at it took apart the connector that slots into the van as apparently the hose can dislodge, cleaned it dried it a bit of silicone sealant. Job done, no leak and pump running on demand👍.

i would take photos to help with my description but it’s pelting down..

• Like 1

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)